Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Good News for one Pit Bull puppy

twodogsandacat
March 1st, 2006, 05:23 PM
I can’t find an online version but I will scan this in the next couple of days if I have to. It was front page on the St. Catharines Standard today.

It’s the canine equivalent to deportation.

The Lincoln County Humane Society had to look across the border for a home for a young pit bull born after Ontario’s ban on the breed took effect.

The puppy --- believe to be about 12 weeks old ---- will be driven to an animal shelter in western New York Thursday, where it will be put up for adoption………………………

The dog’s owner was recently arrested for a traffic violation and the dog was discovered . Because of the law they can’t give it back. It will go to Erie County Humane Society in NY, just across the border.

I love these stories albeit they are few and far between. Recently the Hamilton Burlington Humane Society flew five pit bull pups out to British Columbia. For that I donated a hundred dollars at their website. I will be in St. Catharines on Saturday so I will stop by and make a hundred dollar donation to them as well. My message “you save pit bulls from this insane death sentence law and I – and many like me will help support that effort”.

And I don’t know if you have noticed but Fido is using a pit bull in an ad and a realty company although they don’t show the dog they show a desk in an office and I think that is 100% pit bull in that photo. The pit bull although under attack is alive and well in Ontario and will be for a long long time.

Loki
March 1st, 2006, 06:39 PM
Whenever I see the Fido commercial, I can't help but wonder if all the hysterics and sensationalism that went on in Ontario was a source of inspiration to the ad company.

Watching the ad, I always get this mental image of Bryant on a shrink's couch - explaining this recurring dream he's been tormented by ....

Laurie Lamarche
March 1st, 2006, 07:23 PM
I actually know of a pit rescue that could really use donations. As I'm sure you can imagine they don't get much money from the public. But it is also complicated by the fact that they are fairly secretive.

They have had to be because of the types of people that they have been rescuing these dogs from. Things like people with chainlink cutters and guns have tried to steal back there dogs. Plus some of the idiots who come and cause havoc who don't believe pit bulls should be saved have tried to throw poisoned food over the fence. As well as a myriad of other things. It's hard enough rescuing a breed of dog that no one wants. You have to be an amazingly committed person to put up with people with guns. These people have helped hundreds of Pitties and used to have anywhere from 10 to 20 dogs in rescue at a time. Can you imagine what that must cost?!?!
Now since the breed ban they have been inundated with dogs. They are responsible for probably 40 plus dogs, as well as helping all kinds of people who are now wanting to rehome their Pitties.

There contact info is:
Email: bullies_in_need@hotmail.com
Donate: Marthaapbt@hotmail.com
Shop: www.cafepress.com/bullies_in_need

Now for your happily ever after fix! YAY! Bullies in Need helped to find a new home for Neville outside of Canada. And now, plain old Neville is "Officer Neville" now, thank you very much :angel: , with Homeland Security.
By the way, the location of Bullies In Need in this article is incorrect.

www.yorkregion.com/yr/yr4/YR_News/Newscentre/Advocate/story/3320981p-3844114c.html

Bye the way does anyone have any info on wether or not there is going to be a breed ban in BC?

Laurie

LL1
March 1st, 2006, 07:37 PM
How are they secretive?They have 2 websites.Which location is wrong?

Spurby
March 1st, 2006, 07:47 PM
The location is not incorrect, i am with BIN as co-directer and i am located in toronto.

Nice for your post to seek assistance, but where do you get your information from? the majority of your info is incorrect.

Spurby
March 1st, 2006, 08:19 PM
I beleive the dog in the Fido comercials is an American Bulldog, btw, not a pit bull.

twodogsandacat
March 1st, 2006, 08:38 PM
I actually know of a pit rescue that could really use donations. As I'm sure you can imagine they don't get much money from the public.

Laurie, thanks for trying to drum up some support for a fine organization. I know of many rescues and programs that need money and I greatly admire what Bullies in Need (:angel: ) is doing. I do try to give where I can but no I haven’t given to them yet. I just hate that I have to pick one over the other. This year is starting off slow but last year I gave a ton and all but the DLCC (Banned Aid) was a choice of one over another.

Our local Humane Society, petabuse.com, Missouri pit bull rescue, South Carolina Attorney General’s anti dog fighting task force, DLCC (for banned aid). I also traveled to Louisiana after Katrina and worked with a rescue organization down there (a least a hundred pit bulls were in our care). I stopped giving to the United Way (other than the dress down Friday donation of $2 a week) when Bill 132 was introduced so the McGuinty government has taken hundreds out of their pockets and redirected thousands to animal causes – especially pit bull causes. I do not own a pit bull but will now do anything to save them from the likes of Bryant and McGuinty.

Let me explain why I gave to the Hamilton Burlington Humane Society and will give the the Lincoln County Humane Society (not that I have to explain, they all need money and that's reason enough).

I think Humane Societies deserve a little extra contribution when they do things like this. Both this story and the Hamilton Burlington story where about saving a pit bull puppy that had done nothing other than be born after the ban went into effect. Both stories talked about how under the current law these puppies all faced a death sentence. I don’t know about the hardcopy of any Hamilton or Burlington papers but the St. Catharines Standard also had a picture – of a cute little innocent looking puppy. So it seems that every time a Humane Society or SPCA airlifts or transports a puppy out of Ontario there is positive press associated with it. I want them to keep doing it. Somewhere at some dinner table in the Niagara Region somebody finally got it…..Michael Bryant wants to kill innocent puppies. If they now think he’s a son of a bitch and that the ban is wrong…..that’s worth a hundred bucks to me.

Spurby: I don't know he looked short enough to be a pit to me but hey I'm no expert. However many others also think it's a pit too and at the end of the commercial he comes down the alley and lays down - sweetly. I see it as good PR even if it only is good PR for those that think it's a pit bull.

Keep up the good work.

Laurie Lamarche
March 1st, 2006, 09:07 PM
To two dogs and a cat (?) Did I get that right? I was by no means suggesting that you redirect your money. You give to whomever you desire! As you said, they all need the money! The organization that I used to work for does not rescue pits and I have given them money too. It was simply meant to be an FYI.

As for Spurdy, I'm sorry if I got some of my info incorrect. I got my info from various people who either work for or have done stuff for BIN.

I know Martha XXXXXX and Veronica personaly. Not well, but they know me and I know them. And I know for a fact that they don't live in or near Toronto. I thought that Martha was the founder of BIN. I am helping (I hope) at a fundraiser on April 9th which is also not in Toronto. I am in Ottawa region.

I was never aware of a chapter in Toronto. Is that what you are? And I apolize if I have offended you.

Every once in a while I speak to these people and other people who help out. I have in the past known exactly how many dogs Veronica has had in her home and how many are at Marthas. I realize that they have many foster homes as well and that I don't know how many are there?

I admit I don't work for them so I apologize for any numerical inadaquasies. Numbers where best guesses from information I had. But how many dogs are actually in foster care at any given time can't be that bad of a faux pas in relation to the rest. Are my email addresses correct? Otherwise you guys need a new business card, and I'm sure that they do need money? Don't they? And over the years has Bullies in Need not helped hundreds of dogs?

I am only trying to pump a rescue organization, of whom I thought I knew the owner of and some of her help. Just in case someone was interested.

twodogsandacat
March 1st, 2006, 09:20 PM
Sorry about the image quality - it's a newspaper. I bought two.

March 1 2006. St. Catharines Standard

Pit bull puppy going over the river to save his life

By PETER DOWNS Standard Staff

It's the canine equivalent of deportation.

The Lincoln County Humane Society had to look across the border for a home for a young pit bull born after Ontario's ban on the breed took effect.
The puppy believed to be about 12 weeks old - will be driven to an animal shelter in western New York Thursday where it will be put up for adoption. “Basically our hands are tied" said Kevin Strooband, manager of the St. Catharines shelter. "We would like to give it back to the owner, which is always best for a dog. We don't have that option this time"

Strooband said humane society staff took the dog into care last week after its owner was arrested by police for a traffic infraction. While the owner was subsequently released by police and wanted his pet back, Strooband said the shelter's hands are tied by the provincial government ban.

“This guy is unfortunately after the ban, so there's no way he can stay in the province” he said.

The first part of the government ban came into effect last August, requiring all pit bulls to be leashed, muzzled and sterilized.

A second phase of the law went into effect at the end of November, making all pit bull puppies born here illegal.

Under the ban, all puppies born in Ontario after Nov. 28 must be given to a research centre, shipped out of the province or euthanized.

Strooband said the shelter didn't want to destroy the pup.

“We'd rather never put down a healthy dog” he said.

“Sometimes, we're forced to. If you have an adult pit bull, it's difficult enough to find it a home, let alone ship it out of the province.”

But in this pit bull puppy's case, the Erie County SPCA has agreed to take the unnamed dog and try to find him a new owner.

Strooband and an animal control officer are scheduled to take the pooch to the shelter Thursday.

Strooband said he's not in favour of the government banning the breed.

“He's paying for the transgressions of his forefathers, so to speak, and he didn't do anything wrong,” he said.

pdowns@stcatharinesstandard.ca

A three-month old pit bull sits in a cage at the Lincoln County Humane Society in west St. Catharines Tuesday. Staff Photo By Denis Cahill

Georgiapeaches
March 1st, 2006, 11:10 PM
I'm a little confused about this story:
How can it be proven the pup was born after Nov 28, 2005 as its age is approximately 12 weeks? Isn't it possible the pup could have been born before or on November 28, 2005, considering the age is estimated? I just looked at a calendar and if born on November 28, 2005, a pup would have been 12 weeks old on February 20, 2006 (last week). They did state they obtained care of the dog last week.
Unless, he told them it was born after the date or could not prove ownership by the cut off date?

Ah, I'm not going to get into it to much. If the pup was born after the cut off date, then I am glad he is getting out of here and yay for the humane society for doing it!!!!

And the Fido ad, I love it!!! But, I think it is an AmBull...look at it's face and body closely. Still a bull breed though ;)

Spurby
March 2nd, 2006, 07:56 AM
Laurie, this is not true, don't know where you got this info from, but i would ask you to please not make such statements again for the rescue unless you know the facts. I appreciate you wanting to help, but please stick with the facts. I assure you, we don't have any gun toting fanatics after us and the dogs.

Things like people with chainlink cutters and guns have tried to steal back there dogs. Plus some of the idiots who come and cause havoc who don't believe pit bulls should be saved have tried to throw poisoned food over the fence. As well as a myriad of other things. It's hard enough rescuing a breed of dog that no one wants. You have to be an amazingly committed person to put up with people with guns. These people have helped hundreds of Pitties and used to have anywhere from 10 to 20 dogs in rescue at a time. Can you imagine what that must cost?!?!