Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

cat help....vet ripping me off?

greengrl
November 19th, 2003, 01:29 AM
ok, so my cat had been peeing on the bed, so i thought she might have a urinary tract infection, so i took her to the vet, and $188 later, she does have one. they gave her fluid, new food, urine tests, a shot, and medicine. so im a college student, and that was really hard to pay for, not to mention all the bedding that has been ruined. and NOW she is sneezing nonstop! and i came home today, and her food and water hadnt gone done.
im scared to go to the vet. :(
what to do?
thanks for any help, much appreciated

she is about 5 yrs old, beautiful tabby girl. i rescued her from the spca, so some is unknown about her..

ophelia
November 19th, 2003, 08:16 AM
Hi,

The sneezing can be due to many things. The most common reason is cat flu virus. This can usually be treated with antibiotics depending on the actual virus. I hate to say this but you probably need to go back to the vet.

If there is nasal discharge then it is quite serious and an immediate vet visit is in order.

The not eating and drinking is normal for a sick cat but cats dehydrate quickly and MUST drink or else they get really sick really fast. 24 hours is about the MAX I recommend letting your cat go without drinking before a vet visit is in order.

I know this is not what you want to hear...but PET INSURANCE would be a great thing for you. 10-20 bucks a month and you get peace of mind. There are some vets that do take payments. If you live near a veterinary university they may have reduced rates.

Best of luck

Ophelia

Luba
November 19th, 2003, 08:50 AM
Part of the responsibility of pet ownership is to be frugel with a savings incase they get sick.

I'd start to tuck a little away for kitty in a safe place incase you need it, a couple of bux here and there will really help.

You should go back to the vet for a follow up. Before you go, when you make the appt just let them know that you're a little tight on $ cause you're a student and ask how much an exam cost is so you're not surprised when you get there.

Also, some medications can be very expensive so you can always ask the vet is there a Generic drug of the same kind!

Wish you well and keep us posted. Your vet doesn't seem to be ripping you off my friend. Not from what you've said!

Take care
Luba

Lucky Rescue
November 19th, 2003, 10:10 AM
Yes, the vet bills are difficult to manage. There is a credit care specifically for pet health care. It might be a good idea for you!

Pet Care Credit Card (http://www.aahanet.org/web/care_credit.html)

drdouggie
November 19th, 2003, 04:36 PM
Two little points.

I'm sorry but I have to correct Ophelia about cat flu. This cannot be treated by antibiotics as it is caused by a virus. Only bacterial infections can be treated with antibiotics. Antibiotics are only effective against bacteria and not viruses. There is no "cure" for viruses except the animals own immune system. That's why we vaccinate animals against viruses, to provide immunity before the animal contracts the virus. Overuse of antibiotics should be discouraged so if you're told an illness is caused by a virus do not accept antibiotics as a treatment (except if there is a secondary bacterial infection present).

The other point....where the money's concerned, you got off light girl! Over here the treatment you got would have cost almost double!!! Get some pet insurance, believe me, you be really thankfull later on.

Pachiz
November 20th, 2003, 12:36 AM
Thats what I was thinking too, all that for under $200, wow, maybe they were giving you a break.

What was the shot for?

What medication is she on for the UTI? If it's Baytril, which is commonly used for UTI's, it might work against the bacterial infection too, if it is bacterial, and also depending on which bacteria. A lot of them go away on their own too.

If she is drinking, then I'd wait a few more days, if symptoms persist then you should take her back. But if she is not drinking, you can check for dehydration by pinching the skin on her back, if it doesn't spring back right away then she is dehydrated and she'll need more fluids.

Pachiz

Luba
November 20th, 2003, 08:02 AM
Well I've had different experiences with pet insurance not covering a whole whack of stuff that you thought they would cover. BUT the wording on what is covered is more vague then you think, the details they explain when you try to collect. lol

I went through it when my dog was sick with cancer.

Perhaps some could recommend to this lady which insurance carrier they use that they've had 'good' experience with.

Luba

greengrl
November 20th, 2003, 01:44 PM
thanks for everyone's help
i took cleo back to the vet, and they gave me some antibiotics for her, the same ones she was on for the UTI, i think they are called antimoxy? or something like that, its pink bubble gum stuff, and some stuff to force feed her, so she gets some nutriets.
she is already starting to feel better
thank you everyone! and i think i will start putting a few bucks away each week for the lil girl :)
-holly

6catsand3dogs
November 21st, 2003, 01:00 PM
I am so glad she is feeling better..nothing worse then when your pet is sick...they cannot tell us how they feel..it si so sad...take care adn give her a hug from me..oh my sister is in school and looking after her cat gets tight soemtimes too...it happens

melanie
November 23rd, 2003, 03:54 PM
just letting you know IT CAN BE DONE. my dog and i have just finished one degree and are onto the next (better of financially for this one, thank god for husbands) but it was really hard and she had an accident at one stage and required the usual check ups which are soo expensive. i found that not only saving a little a week (i know this sounds ridiculous on a student allowance but just 1 or 2 dollars can be done) helps but preventative medicine is very useful. i treated my dog with extra dog mulitvitamins (which should be norm but hard as a starving student) and found it was a great preventative action. just ensuring that they are in the best of health really helps prevent illness (it worked out well for us). Life is truly unpredictable (and just for those wondering, i was not irrisponsible that got a dog whilst poor, i had her before we went to uni) and we have both made it to the other side without starving. :D

greengrl
November 23rd, 2003, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by melanie
(better of financially for this one, thank god for husbands) thanks for the help, but this part made me cringe terribly....

melanie
November 23rd, 2003, 10:24 PM
im not implying that i cannot survive without a man ect, god what age is this and why are people so judgemental of others?? as i said i made it through one degree on my own. all i am saying is that i have a lovely husband that has supported myself and my dog throughout our recent studies, so yes i am thankful for him. lets not take feminism too far here, lets not forget men are valid members of society ect. and just humans. and if i was a man and said that' i thank god for wives ' would you cringe or cheer that someone appreciates a woman???? or should i go all weirdly PC and say 'thank god for partners' (but wouldnt that be incorrect as i am therefore unwilling to recognise that partners sex due to fear of judgement in society and would that not be sexist or wrong as i am then being ashamed of men)?? would it be more pleasing if i said that i was thankful for husband (no plural)....

Luba
November 24th, 2003, 09:05 AM
Melanie you said nothing wrong
hugs

I wish I had a husband to share those things with, as well as all the others. Wanna lend yours out!?!?!?!
LMAO

Luba