Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

All About Eve - 1950

marko
March 1st, 2006, 05:03 PM
An (off topic) movie review preface:
I've been watching many older(40-50 year old) films lately and unfortunately I just don't feel many of them hold up with what we expect from a movie these days. Sometimes the pace is just toooooo slow, sometimes the dialogue is poor or just too dated and sometimes the film is just over-acted. I'm sure these are/were fine films for their time, and many of them won awards so they had to be liked and appreciated. But if you watch them today in 2006, do they hold up now?

I mean when I was a kid I loved the T.V.show Happy Days....you remember the Fonz? Try watching Happy Days now...aside from the nostalgia it brings you it's pretty silly. Compare that to All In the Family (Archie Bunker). That show is still watchable and still funny.

Recently I saw Westside story which is supposed to be a classic and garnered many awards. I could barely get through it to be honest. It was just too dated and out of step with 'modern' life. Sure there were a few good scenes, and yes classic themes of love and acceptance did surface - but it did not hold up for me even it it WAS based on Romeo and Juliette.

I also just saw Breakfast at Tiffany's. Ok that was much better. Good chemistry and great acting from Audrey Hepburn and Buddy Epson (small role but BRILLIANTLY played) and decent acting from George Peppard.
BUT Mickey Rooney's portrayal of the Japanese Neighbor with his ridiculously stupid slapstick brings the movie down A LOT.

I'm happy to say that All About Eve is a fine film that holds up. It is interesting to watch and the characters are VERY rich. Betty Davis and Anne Baxter play in this film about a theater star who befriends a young wannabe. Great character development, interesting flashbacks (must have been avant-garde back then) and a solid story. I wee bit long and it still gets an 8.5/10 IMO.

Lucky Rescue
March 1st, 2006, 05:25 PM
"All About Eve" is one of my all-time favorite movies. Bette Davis....what can you say?? I believe this was also one of Marilyn Monroe's first major movie part - and she sparkles in her tiny role.

Breakfast At Tiffany's...good movie, but due to the type of censorship in place at the time, we weren't allowed to know that Holly was really a prosititute. But the lovely and talented (and unfortunately anorexic) Audrey Hepburn certainly makes this movie watchable!

If you want to watch one of the very best old movies, try and catch "White Heat" with the awesome James Cagney.:)

ZebbyZeb
April 5th, 2006, 05:19 AM
If you liked Bette Davis in "All About Eve", you need to see:
"Now, Voyager"
"The Little Foxes"
"Jezebel"

I could go on and on about her.....