Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Job hunting bummed out

Joey.E.CockersMommy
March 1st, 2006, 11:55 AM
I recently applied for a job in town and didnt even get a callback or anything.

What actually bums me out is the business is actually owned by a relative. They don't actually work there directly as they own several similar businesses else where.

Now I don't expect special treatment, or anything and most people that work there don't even know the connection nor would I want them to know.

But I was qualified for the job, except my typing speed wasnt quite 60 words a minute of which I am practicing consistently now everyday, and am now close to that.

Anyways I didnt tell my relative that I applied there, as I dont want it to seem like you have to give her a job because shes related, I dont want that at all. My husband also knows the manager there and sees him on a regular basis.

All I wanted was an interview - I didnt think that was too much too ask. Its not like I am not qualified and expecting a job there. I feel like calling them up and telling them off - No don't worry I won't do that but life does suck sometimes.

papillonmama
March 1st, 2006, 12:15 PM
job hunting is tough, hang in there. :thumbs up

Some places keep resumes on file, so even if they're not hiring immediately it never hurts to give them out to places that interest you.

badger
March 1st, 2006, 12:24 PM
In the future, I would not hesitate to use your connections. There's nothing wrong with a little favouritism, all other things being equal. I suspect more people than we think get the edge that way. Good luck!

Rick C
March 1st, 2006, 12:26 PM
In the future, I would not hesitate to use your connections. There's nothing wrong with a little favouritism, all other things being equal. I suspect more people than we think get the edge that way. Good luck!

I agree . . . . . insider connections are important to making you stand out from a crowd.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Skryker
March 1st, 2006, 12:32 PM
:sorry: I hate that feeling-you know that you can do the job, and do it well-but nothing. No call, no interview. Bleh! I despise job hunting. :mad: It's the equivalent to pounds. I don't like those, with all the dogs jumping up-"Pick me! Pick me!". Job hunting feels emotionally the same-with every resume, I feel like I'M the one saying "Pcik me!". And I feel like a kicked puppy for every rejection.:sad:

mummummum
March 1st, 2006, 12:40 PM
All I wanted was an interview - I didnt think that was too much too ask. Its not like I am not qualified and expecting a job there. I feel like calling them up and telling them off - No don't worry I won't do that but life does suck sometimes.

Have you thought about making an appointment - either a telephone appointment or personal (buy them a coffee or lunch ?) - to speak with them about their response to your application? I might explain that you completely understand that you did not get the job and are new (even if you are not - it's a white lie) to job-seeking and looking for some helpful feedback on your presentation (resume/cover letter) of your qualifications and experience. You never know, maybe they will be one of these increasingly rare human beings - you know the helpful ones ! ;)

jessi76
March 1st, 2006, 12:51 PM
I recently applied for a job in town and didnt even get a callback or anything.

did you call them? I ALWAYS send my resumé, then a week later, follow up by phone. To be sure they received my materials, have any questions, and to ask if the position has been filled yet.

But I was qualified for the job, except my typing speed wasnt quite 60 words a minute of which I am practicing consistently now everyday, and am now close to that.

if you don't type 60 wpm, and it's a requirement of the position, then why did you expect an interview? I'm not trying to sound harsh, it's nothing personal - it's business. but honestly, I wouldn't interview anyone who didn't meet the requirements.

Anyways I didnt tell my relative that I applied there, as I dont want it to seem like you have to give her a job because shes related, I dont want that at all. My husband also knows the manager there and sees him on a regular basis.

You absolutely should of contacted these people and expressed your interest in the position, the company, and the business. It never hurts to know people, and use your contacts. it's networking.

StaceyB
March 1st, 2006, 01:03 PM
When you have connections,USE THEM, why not. You may get the job and then it is up to you to prove that you deserved it.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
March 1st, 2006, 01:18 PM
Jessi76 =if you don't type 60 wpm, and it's a requirement of the position, then why did you expect an interview? I'm not trying to sound harsh, it's nothing personal - it's business. but honestly, I wouldn't interview anyone who didn't meet the requirements.

Because I meet all the qualifications except for that its not that I am totally not qualifed and I am working really hard at getting my speed up, and each day I get a little better. I am just over 50 wpm last time I tested, yesterday I was at 47, if I was at less then 40 wpm then I may not bother. I was told before if you have most of the qualifications but not all than you should apply so that is what I do.

I did contact my relative and let them know that I applied for the position. I guess we will see what happens. :D

Meanwhile I have sent off some other resumes now. No sense dwelling on it. I will contact them in a day or two to follow up.

jessi76
March 1st, 2006, 01:32 PM
Good I'm glad you decided to use your contacts! And yes, do follow up on the others - you'll get something - just make sure employers see & hear you (obviously in a professional manner). Sometimes, I close my letter of interest with a line such as "I will contact the office in a few days should you have any questions, bla bla, etc... " Sort of tips them off that you will be calling in regards to your letter/resume.

and yes, you should apply for jobs beacuse you never know, but if you don't meet the requirements than I wouldn't expect a call or interview, but be pleasantly suprised if it happened.

I really do wish you the best of luck - I hope you totally nail a dream job! :)

Joey.E.CockersMommy
March 1st, 2006, 01:38 PM
Thanks Jessi76 maybe they will call me and by then I wll type 60 wpm I am almost there I actually need some time to practice anyways. :D

t.pettet
March 1st, 2006, 02:30 PM
From past experience whenever I didn't get the job I thought I really wanted something better (location,pay,boss) came along that far surpassed the one I missed out on. Something better will come along.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
March 1st, 2006, 05:05 PM
I just sent out a whole bunch more resumes today, ITs not all bad news yet though, we did hear though that they havent yet short listed anyone for this position. In the meantime I am going keep working at getting my typing speed up, so at least I have a better chance.

jjgeonerd
March 1st, 2006, 05:24 PM
Keep your head up and USE THOSE CONNECTIONS! I read a stat a while back that estimated something like 30-40% of people get their jobs thru connections, whether it be friends or family. Good luck! :thumbs up

Prin
March 1st, 2006, 05:35 PM
Definitely use those connections. If other people had those connections, they'd be right on them. Just be warned though, sometimes the connection will get you in the door, but it might not get you the job. Everybody I know has always used their connections.

Job hunting is hard. You walk in, get judged and then they decide if you're good enough or not. Very stressful and hard on the self esteem.. Good luck. If you need a boost ever, come post your 'pity party' here.:thumbs up

Gazoo
March 1st, 2006, 10:34 PM

:thumbs up Absolutely nothing wrong with a little help now and then.

poodletalk
March 2nd, 2006, 05:43 AM
Too bad, you didn't live closer to me. :( I am looking for qualified customer service/sales reps. Good people are hard to find....:thumbs up

Joey.E.CockersMommy
March 2nd, 2006, 08:04 PM
thanks poodle talk could you give me a gas allowance - :D

I think I vented to soon about this as I do have an interview on Monday. Got two references already from work. I have to practice my typing its the only thing holding me back.

glasslass
March 4th, 2006, 03:49 PM
I don't know why most positions insist on a certain speed of typing anyway. We have a position open in the library that requires a certain typing speed also. The work requires very little straight typing. You use a computer with specialized software and never would 60 wpm be even necessary. More important would be keyboarding experience, accuracy and attention to detail, and competent computer skills. Unless you're applying to be in the typing pool where you would be typing long documents all day long, it really is irrelavant.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
March 4th, 2006, 06:28 PM
Well I am trying so hard to get that speed up I actually paid for and downloaded a typing program from the internet that says its supposed to improve your speed and accuracy in two hours, it apparently monitors all the typing that you do and then gives you certain excercises accoring to where your weak areas are. We will see best case scenario I get the job and this program will have paid for itself within a week (gas money) or I dont get the job but maybe it will help me with my typing anyways and I will get a better job still - worst case scenario I'm out $35.00. Keeping my fingers crossed. :fingerscr

CyberKitten
March 4th, 2006, 07:08 PM
Sorry about the job!! It is a tough thing so you do need to use every asset you have - what you know, who you know, any connections... That is the way of the world.

I don't get the typing thing either but I never needed to worry about it. My very first summer job I ever had was given to me because it was assumed that my father supported a certain political party (he hates politics - his dad was the politician!). But my parents refused to get involved so I was left to call a woman I did not know who turned out to be the secretary of the local PC Assn. I was in high school and I really wanted this job- I was never asked for a resume, even tho I'd spent like a month on the blasted thing. The job I wanted was tour guide at the local museum - mostly because (bear with me I was a kid, OK) we got to wear these cute outfits with the NB tartan, lol I was exceptionally qualifued - bilingual, knew ALL the history and enjoyed working with ppl, yada yada. I left out anything about typing tho it might have helped. She told me to go down to talk to someone at some old building (I cannot even recall why) bec the museum job would prob be filled by a univ student (wahhhh!) so I was up for flag girl on the highway (the all time partisan job!). No cute outfits there. I honestly do not know what happened in the interim (she was also the city's Deputy Mayor) but about a week later, she called me to tell me someone had backed out of a museum job (Yeah right, we all coveted those jobs!) and she thought with my health probs (not her biz but hey, she was allegedly on my side since I was not a from another party I was not even old enuf to vote tho I had worked on the campaign for the current MLA - did notput that on my resume but it was prob the most important information, lol) and way with ppl, I was better suited for the museum job. What I'd like to know in retrsopsct is what about all toise kids who applied for those jobs by filling in those govt applications and being interviewed by some govt bureacrats. I never went thru any interviews. I landed the job. It was boring but I was one of those workaholics who wrote a weekly col in the paper for the museum, added an archives section since the founder had left that in a mess and a geneology section because ppl from all over NAmerica came in seeking that info and goit my picture in a Heritage magazine when some guy was writing an artickle abljt museums for the province - but I worked really hard so I still thinked I deserved it. But had I not made that phone call, I;d never had had the opportunity.

I read somehwere that 5% of all jobs are in newspapers are obtaned that way. You should have called your relative - diplomatically and asking him.

Once I became an adult, I chose a field (not deliberately) that is underserved and needy so I never lack for work - I get recruited several times a month but I also see the other side since I hire so many ppl as well. And some ppl send in the worst resumes - it is insulting to the people who have to read them!!

Anyway, good luck!!! I hope you finally get the job - I shared my experience because I know thie system may not now be as overt but it still is who you are and who you know!

Gazoo
March 4th, 2006, 08:51 PM
thanks poodle talk could you give me a gas allowance - :D

I think I vented to soon about this as I do have an interview on Monday. Got two references already from work. I have to practice my typing its the only thing holding me back.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya!!!!

jesse's mommy
March 4th, 2006, 08:56 PM
Well wishes from me too! :fingerscr

Joey.E.CockersMommy
March 4th, 2006, 09:36 PM
thank you I am practicing my typing like crazy first I was improving and now I am getting worse . Hellppp!!!!!! :eek: What is wrong with me.

I really want this job, it takes me two minutes to drive there or probably 10 to 15 minutes to walk, location wise its perfect, I can even stop in at the grocery store on my walk home and pick up dinner I soooo do not want to drive 45 minutes and spend all that money on gas any more. :fingerscr

jesse's mommy
March 5th, 2006, 08:30 AM
You are probably practicing too much. Take a little break and start up again later. Remember if they test you tomorrow, just relax. Don't get too anxious or nervous. Keep some kind of calming image in your head and you'll do great! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!

CyberKitten
March 5th, 2006, 11:13 AM
I so agree about the positive image - keep that in your mind, Don't obsess about it!! I'll think good thoughts!!!!! Good luck!!!

Joey.E.CockersMommy
March 6th, 2006, 04:56 PM
Interview in one hour happy thoughts happy thoughts happy thoughts. :fingerscr

I have used my relative as a reference too (personal) Lets hope they like me.

jesse's mommy
March 6th, 2006, 05:17 PM
Happy Thoughts
Happy Thoughts
Happy Thoughts

Joey.E.CockersMommy
March 6th, 2006, 07:24 PM
I feel it went really well I will find out tommorow. There is a lot of similarties between my current job and this job. Customer service, multi-tasking and selling as well, all of which I do at my current postion. There was no typing test but they did ask me my speed. I was truthful and told them that I type about 50 words per minute and I working very hard on getting my job up, they didnt seem overly concerned about it. Phewww --- They want someone to start as soon as possible. But understood about giving notice for my other job. I did offer to go in on my days off just to shadow one of the other people that already do the job.

Prin
March 6th, 2006, 07:51 PM
:fingerscr :fingerscr :fingerscr I hope the results are good.:highfive:

Skryker
March 6th, 2006, 10:54 PM
Yay! Good for you, and major kudos for suggesting the job shadowing:thumbs up ! That is an amazing way to show your interest in the job. :highfive:

jesse's mommy
March 7th, 2006, 06:00 AM
I hope it's good too! Wonderful suggestion on shadowing. And these people won't give you a hard time about trying to quit smoking! :fingerscr

Joey.E.CockersMommy
March 7th, 2006, 05:04 PM
I am still waiting to hear either way. I just hate waiting - and wondering why I havent heard.

Either way I feel like I would have been in the top four for sure - a lot of skills they needed for this job I do already at my present job, such has the phone work and the selling, and the customer service. I definately feel like I am qualified - but perhaps there is someone that is more qualified too. who knows I am driving myself crazy :crazy:

I was supposed to hear by 1 oclock its now three - so I am not feeling confident at this point - when you hire someone do you call the people that didnt get the job first or the one that did - I guess there is no protecol on that.

Hate the waiting going to go watch dr. Phil just to get my mind off of it.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
March 7th, 2006, 05:29 PM
I didnt get it - they hired someone that had worked the same position at another paper. So I cant compete with that.

Oh well I guess its back to the scenic 45 minute drive to work everyday. :sad:

I hate job interviews. :sad: :mad:

Prin
March 7th, 2006, 06:17 PM
Aww, don't worry. Something better will come along.:grouphug: