Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

New Kitten

Macha
March 1st, 2006, 10:51 AM
Hello All!!
I have recently adopted a Bengal/Torti cross 5 month old kitten. She is very well behaved. She has started to wake me up in the early morning hours (4am) and wants to be affectionate. I don't want to push her away when she is being so affectionate but I don't want her to get into a habit of waking me that early. Does anyone know what to do with my four legged alarm clock?
Thanks!
Tammy

Lucky Rescue
March 1st, 2006, 11:39 AM
There's nothing you can do to make her stop. However I see you have other cats, so I would just shut her out of the bedroom and let her play with them.:)

PetFriendly
March 1st, 2006, 06:40 PM
I once lived with someone who had two cats who were used to being fed by her ex-husband at 6 am.. They would start trying to wake the humans up at 5:45... The room-mate went to Germany for two weeks... On the first day I pushed the cats off my bed. I had to repeat on the second day. For the rest of that week I just ignored them. By the end of the second week they stopped... Be patient and ignore the cat and it'll stop. If you're feeding her twice daily, give her the morning meal long after you've gotten up, or just before you leave to help break the habbit.

CyberKitten
March 1st, 2006, 07:19 PM
Kittens do tend to adjust to your schedule (tho they can be persistent, lol) but all you really need is patience. Bengals are somewhat like meezers - from what I hear ( I do not have a Bengal) - they can be quite demanding but they do adjust too but if you give in, she will expect it - of you do not, she will just become accustomed to when you wake up.

abudamunky
May 1st, 2006, 01:41 AM
i had a cat who got used to be gettin up early for school every morning and during the summer she would still wake me up at 7am. I agree with the above, ignore her. My siamese also used to like to wake up early to cuddle, but i figured out if i just let him under my covers he'd eventually fall asleep. try that, or maybe FORCE the cat to sleep with you, maybe it'll get into the habit of just crawling into bed to sleep......good luck with the forceful kitty!

LianneCatherine
May 1st, 2006, 12:49 PM
I agree with the other posts. The likely cause is hunger. Your new kitty must be used to her mommy feeding her at that wee hour. Either keep her out of the bedroom, or try the "ignore" tactics mentioned. Sometimes ignoring a hungry kitty is impossible, so if you do have to get up, just wait a while to feed kitty.

My cat will start in on his "cuddling" routine when my alarm goes off, but he's been pretty good about waiting until then. He weighs about 12 lbs so when he steps on my chest to wake me up, it can be very painful and VERY annoying! Nip this problem while she's still a baby!

Good luck! :fingerscr

jessi76
May 1st, 2006, 01:07 PM
or maybe FORCE the cat to sleep with you, maybe it'll get into the habit of just crawling into bed to sleep......

in my experience, you can't FORCE a cat to do anything.

My calico is almost 2, and still kneads my head in the wee hours of the morning. sure, it can be annoying when I'm particularly tired, but for the most part, it's just sweet.

Then again, at 4am I have one cat ON my head kneading... another cat wedged in next to me, and a dog smooshed into the bend of my legs.... my sleepy-time zoo. :)

mafiaprincess
May 1st, 2006, 01:19 PM
The ex's cat was very very very vocal, and starting at about 6am every day would start jumping on you and yowling for wet food. He'd just somehow ignore her for hours.. and I couldn't do that. I started locking her out of the bedroom at night, and while it didn't stop the behaviour, she would yowl at the door, it limited how annoying I found it..