Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

When a dog shakes

Joey.E.CockersMommy
February 28th, 2006, 05:56 PM
Just a few doggie behavior questions.

Joeys obedience teacher told us that when a dog shakes -that he is shaking it off, Like if you get him to do something and he does it then he shakes its sort of like pheww I'm glad thats over.

Lissa
February 28th, 2006, 06:24 PM
I think it really depends on the dog and his experiences with other dogs.

Dodger shakes after he wakes up, when his ears are itchy and when his hackles have been up.

For instance, Dodger used to yawn when he was "stressed" - the kind of stress that comes about when he wasn't getting a treat soon enough or unsure about what I was asking. Now, because I taught him to yawn on command he yawns constantly in any and all situations.

Also, when dogs sneeze, I have read they do sneeze after something significant has happened...but that's not the case with all dogs.

Good thread - I am fascinated by dog behaviour!;)

Prin
February 28th, 2006, 09:17 PM
Jemma and Boo shake when they're wet, cold or confined and freed. Like if you put them in a room and then free them, they come out shaking. Or if you put their harnesses on, and take them off, they shake too.

Writing4Fun
February 28th, 2006, 09:26 PM
Phoebe shakes when she just wakes up (usually right outside the baby's bedroom door :evil: ) and whenever I adjust her collar (either rearranging the placement of her fur or putting her leash on/taking it off etc...).

PetFriendly
March 1st, 2006, 07:36 PM
Charley shakes after being bathed or brushed, if he's cold or if we've been outside for a long time and its cold and I've asked him if he needs to do more business and doesn't need to go.
He will tolerate being brushed or bathed but doesn't really like it so the trainer might be on to something?! But he's never shaken after obedience classes nor after a training session in the back yard so I'm not sure because once he's done a the command a few times he really isn't interested in doing in more times...
All that to say, I dunno! :confused: