Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I took my sick puppy to the ER: followup

compaq
February 28th, 2006, 02:01 PM
They did blood and fecal tests and found that no virus was present. So her vomiting and diarrhea isn't from Parvo. They wanted to keep her for 3 days and administer IV but wanted $1000 so that's a no go. Vet gave her antibiotics and prescribed Amoxi drops with Regian, what is this suppose to do? She continues to dry heave.

To make the day even worse I ended up getting a speeding ticket because the puppy kept trying to vomit on me and I was pushing her away and wasn't paying attention to the speed.

poodletalk
February 28th, 2006, 03:52 PM
Where are you located?

compaq
February 28th, 2006, 09:55 PM
I am in CA, why?

I think she's a goner. Tried everything but she's still vomiting and having diarrhea. She hasn't eaten anything in 4 days and she can now barely stand. She can't even drink on her own, so I have to use a syringe to squirt water in to her mouth. Gonna have to put her down soon.... unless a miracle happens.

:sorry:

technodoll
February 28th, 2006, 10:01 PM
awe so sad... i'm surprised the vet had no other options for you... poor puppy. :sick:

happycats
February 28th, 2006, 10:07 PM
could she have gotten into something when whe was outside for the night?
maybe she has eaten something toxic.
Was it really cold when she was left out? If so, is she maybe suffering from hypothermia?
Your vet doesn't seem to be very concerned, he/she should have given you more info! I would suggest you find a new vet soon!!!
did you get her from the humane society? If so maybe they can help her!

compaq
February 28th, 2006, 10:30 PM
Well, she has slept outside couple of times before and was fine. I mean she didn't sleep on concrete or anything, she slept in one of those Igloo shaped doggy homes.

I guess it could be food poisoning but I've looked all around the property and can't find anything that could be poisonous. I have three other dogs for almost five years and they have never got sick before.

I think I know what the problem is. I fed her lots of beef jerky.... that's probably what's clogging her stomach and slowly killing her.

:sorry: :evil:

Georgiapeaches
February 28th, 2006, 11:23 PM
I think I know what the problem is. I fed her lots of beef jerky.... that's probably what's clogging her stomach and slowly killing her.

:sorry: :evil:

Did you tell the vet this???

Prin
March 1st, 2006, 12:18 AM
Your vet doesn't seem to be very concerned, he/she should have given you more info! I would suggest you find a new vet soon!!!
did you get her from the humane society? If so maybe they can help her!If your vet suggests what has to be done to save the dog, and you turn him down because you have no money, he isn't likely to open the door to a heap of other options.;)

compaq
March 1st, 2006, 12:46 AM
Well, I guess I could "afford" it if I had assurances that the treatment would cure her. But she could very well die and I'd still have to foot the bill. But what concerns me is that blood/fecal exams showed that she doesn't have Parvo... yet the treatment being recommended is to treat Parvo. What does this have to do with possible stomach obstruction?

No, I didn't tell the vet about beef jerky consumption because I didn't think it was the cause of the trouble. I still have some doubts unless someone could point me to a link that says jerky is bad for puppies.

I'm hoping to see another vet and request an x-ray to see if her digestive tract is obstructed or not. Anyone have any idea how much this procedure would cost? Seriously, if it could be done for under $500, I would do it immediately. But until then I'll have to suffer another night with her vomiting 50 times overnight.

Speaking of vomiting, she never vomitted until I gave her some Gavison antacid for her stomach ache.... now she vomits about 100 times a day. Is this coincidence or did Gavison cause this????

Prin
March 1st, 2006, 12:59 AM
Did the vet tell you to use gaviscon? Did you ask if it would interact with the other drugs you've been prescribed? Never give human drugs, even over the counter ones, without asking your vet.

Is jerky is good for anybody? :confused:

IMO, :troll:

badger
March 1st, 2006, 02:13 AM
I hope you're right Prin. I'm heaving here myself.

CyberKitten
March 1st, 2006, 03:50 AM
Could the vet not do an Xray or unltrasound at least to see if there IS an obstruction - you are speculating. I think you should bring your sick pup to another vet for a 2nd opinion or get a Xray from the 1st one???

Good luck!!!!

happycats
March 1st, 2006, 06:22 AM
But until then I'll have to suffer another night with her vomiting 50 times overnight.

YOU"LL have to suffer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The only one suffering is that poor puppy, and for you to just sit by and watch her vomit 50-100 times makes you a very cold uncaring person, do the dog a favor and give her to someone who gives a crap!:mad:

jawert1
March 1st, 2006, 08:32 AM
The xrays should be well under 500.00. Get her to a vet immediately and have this done please.

LavenderRott
March 1st, 2006, 08:53 AM
Trips to the vet cost money. It's a fact of life.

Make a vet appointment, take the dog in and if they can't tell you what is wrong with it or you don't want to pay for treatment that isn't guarenteed either put the pup down or sign over ownership to the vet. At least then something will be done to end the PUPPY'S suffering!

yoda900_ca
March 1st, 2006, 09:22 AM
my vet charges $70 dollars for and x-ray and 22 extra if he has to sedate the dog. Your vet checked for coccidia right? An obstruction doesn't usually cause blood in the stool. U can give peptobismo short term to stop the runs until u can get to a vet but gaviscon MAY have caused a problem. You should never give people medicine w/o checking with a vet first. And u should let your vet know about the beef jerky and the gaviscon.
Also a dehydrated human will continue to dry heave often. If your pup is dehydrated it could be the cause. Why not ask the vet to keep her 1 night and give an IV over night that cost should be well under $1000. Also ask you vet about making payments.

compaq
March 1st, 2006, 09:52 AM
YOU"LL have to suffer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The only one suffering is that poor puppy, and for you to just sit by and watch her vomit 50-100 times makes you a very cold uncaring person, do the dog a favor and give her to someone who gives a crap!:mad:

Yeah I don't suffer. When she wakes up at midnight, 1am, 2am, 3am, 4am, 5am to puke who carries her out on to the lawn to do her business? Who do you think wipes the mucus off her mouth and handfeeds her water so doesn't get dehydrated? Since she doesn't have the energy to eat on her own, who do you think hand-feeds her 24 hours a day with a syringe?

I'm not made of money but I've already spent $500 treating her, even though the vet suggested I take her back to the pound and exchange for a healthier puppy. So don't tell me I don't give a crap, you clueless jerk.

LavenderRott
March 1st, 2006, 09:58 AM
WOW.

I have done the above numerous times with my children and would have gladly done it for my dog if that was what was required without considering it suffering!

Many members here have done this and so much more for foster dogs!

Your local animal control will put your dog to sleep for about $50. That would end both her suffering and yours.