Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Family pet

amber416
February 27th, 2006, 12:49 PM
Last night, in the middle of the night, my parents had to take one of our bichons in to be put to sleep. We got Aggie (named Agassi, after the tennis player Andre Agassi, my dad's favorite...that's what happens when you let your dad name a pet, i guess) when I was 12 years old. She was a feisty little thing and all four pounds of her would have my younger sister and I cowering at the end of the hall. She brought a lot of much needed distraction to my family at the time, though. My sister had just been involved in an accident and was laid up in a body cast for months. Both of her legs were broken and it was the middle of the summer....rough for a 7 year old child. Aggie made things so much easier...it's amazing what the love of a pet can do for a person's spirit...

The past month or so we have been very preoccupied with Abby, our youngest bichon, who developed glaucoma and had to have one of her eyes removed. She is now losing sight in her other eye, and is absolutely miserable. Then this weekend Aggie started having seizures. She would completely lose control of the lower half of her body and start to scream and cry. My parents took her in to an emergency vet clinic and they said there was really nothing they could do. They said we could try giving her pain meds and just trying to make her comfortable, but she was experiencing sudden liver failure. They took her and the pain meds home, hoping our vet would be able to make it out to the house to see her, and if needed euthanize her. Last night they took her in to euthanize her as she was in so much pain and the medication just seemed to be making it worse. In the car, on the way to the vet, she had something resembling a heart attack and collapsed.

The younger bichons, Abby and Auggie, are not handling the loss of their sister well at all. They are running around the house sniffing and crying all of the time. If you say Aggie's name in front of Abby, she starts to cry. It's all so sad. It makes me so nervous to have multiple pets close in age. It would be so hard to have them all start having severe health problems at the same time....

Our Aggie, a few weeks ago :)

PunkMaister
February 27th, 2006, 01:49 PM
I'm really sorry for your loss :sorry: and I hope that your remaining pets get to live a bit longer for at least a few more years (being nearly the same age as the one that passed away).
After Kenny disappeared it took Oreo a while to adjust to being the only pet in the house, he did cry a bit and it was hard to make him come into the npow empty backyard were they both used to play.
He has thankfully adjusted by now.
Hopefully your remaining pets will do the same over time. Which is the only thing that heals wounds like these...:grouphug:

chico2
February 27th, 2006, 04:05 PM
Amber,so sorry to hear about Aggie,she looked like a sweetheart.
I am sure the other two will eventually be ok,at least they still have each other.:love:

Frenchy
February 27th, 2006, 05:44 PM
Amber,I'm so sorry about Aggie,don't worry,the other dogs will get used to it.I think it's harder on humans...take care.