Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

cats and pitbulls

fairleig
February 27th, 2006, 12:24 AM
I have a Red Nose pitbull that is approimately 4 yrs old and is extremely playful and wild. He is not a aggessive animal but gets ruff. My question is: My daughter got a baby kitten that is about four months old now and for the last 4 months the cat has to stay in her bed room unless the dog is locked up. I am really concerned because I'm scared that one day the dog will get to the cat and not intentionally hurt her but because he is aggressive toward the cat but because he is so wild and playful. When he happens to see the cat he the dog gets this curious look in his eye but I really dont see aggression. Although he really doesnot like any other animals. When he is outside and some one or some animal walks down the street he will pull on the metal fence with his teeth and growl. Please respond to this with your opinion on how to ease the situation of getting the dog and cat in the same room with out my daughters cat getting hurt or worse killed.

Dukieboy
February 27th, 2006, 09:10 AM
I'm sorry to say but I really think you should re home the kitten. I think it is an accident waiting to happen. Dogs and cats can get along but if your dog has had no exposure to cats and he is full grown and really rowdy I don't think you will ever be able to leave them alone together.

Lucky Rescue
February 27th, 2006, 09:44 AM
I have no idea if your dog will hurt your cat, but if he is 4 years old and wild and rowdy, maybe he needs training and more exercise.

Many dogs will chase or even kill strange cats outside, but are fine with their "own" cats in the home.

I suggest you put a muzzle and a leash on the dog (AFTER he's had some really hard exercise) and let the kitty out of the room. Put the dog in a "sit" or "down". If he doesn't know and obey these commands, this is something you must work on first.

babyrocky1
February 27th, 2006, 12:47 PM
I have no idea if your dog will hurt your cat, but if he is 4 years old and wild and rowdy, maybe he needs training and more exercise.

Many dogs will chase or even kill strange cats outside, but are fine with their "own" cats in the home.

I. My dog lived with my three cats since I brought him home as an eight week old pup, he was fine with them, until they were older and he tried to intitiate dog play and annoyed them constantly, but not aggression, my cats have since all died, they were all 18 or 19, but he hates other cats, even when our cats were alive he hated other cats, he seems to think of them as prey, I dont know for sure cause I dont experiment! There are two cats that live down the hall from us and tend to wander and I always have to keep a really tight hold on the leash cause he seems to react to them the same way dogs react to squirrels!

jessi76
February 27th, 2006, 01:03 PM
I'm sorry to say but I really think you should re home the kitten. I think it is an accident waiting to happen. Dogs and cats can get along but if your dog has had no exposure to cats and he is full grown and really rowdy I don't think you will ever be able to leave them alone together.

I totally agree.

honestly, I think it was sort of irresponsible (although probably well intended) to bring a kitten into a household with a dog who, as you say...

does not like any other animals. When he is outside and some one or some animal walks down the street he will pull on the metal fence with his teeth and growl.

Lucky Rescue
February 27th, 2006, 02:07 PM
There are two cats that live down the hall from us and tend to wander and I always have to keep a really tight hold on the leash cause he seems to react to them the same way dogs react to squirrels!

Right. Many dogs are highly predatory, and no small animal is safe with them. You can still train them not to attack in your presence, but accidents can happen in one second and a single bite can kill a cat.

I agree a kitten shouldn't have been brought into this house, but it's there now and must be kept safe. If it cannot be kept safe, it should be rehomed.