Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Eight Below (Movie)

joanna
February 26th, 2006, 08:33 PM
Hi!
I'm sorry if I'm posting in the wrong forum....
I couldn't decide where to post.... :confused:

Anyhow...
I went to see the movie Eight Below last night..
It's about 8 sled dogs Huskies/Malamutes abandoned in Antarctica during the winter!!
I don't wanna write any more so I don't ruin it for anyone..

It was such a cute/fun/entertaining/touching movie.
I thought I'd share it with everyone. just a heads up...
There aren't that many good movies out these days....
but if you get a chance to hit the theater, I'd recommend Eight Below...

Just makes you wanna adopt a husky... ^^;

jesse's mommy
February 26th, 2006, 08:41 PM
Just so you know there is a movie forum in the off topic section.

I've heard that is a good movie.

joanna
February 26th, 2006, 09:02 PM
Oh... oops..

I figured since it was a movie about dogs... lol
I didn't even check the off topic....

thanks jesse's mom!
hmmm now how do I transfer this topic over there?

jesse's mommy
February 26th, 2006, 09:04 PM
One of the mods can do it. :thumbs up

glasslass
February 27th, 2006, 12:40 AM
I haven't seen it yet. I have seen the ads on TV and they say it's based on a true story. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

AliSam
February 27th, 2006, 09:08 AM
I have been looking forward to seeing it ever since I saw the first ad for it. I used to have a husky. It should bring back memories.

Prin
February 27th, 2006, 12:33 PM
I'd like to see it, but I hope it doesn't make people want huskies (fat chance).

joanna
February 28th, 2006, 02:09 AM
If you are reasonable...

very soon you realize... it'd be difficult to accomodate a dog that likes to run around and live in Antarctica....

Do you think people would really just buy such a demanding dog on a whim after watching a movie??

Or... are huskies adaptable to any environment?

CyberKitten
February 28th, 2006, 03:02 AM
Given that it is -37 here with the wind chill, I might wait to see this movie, lol Not to worry tho I I would never buy a pet on a whim. We did have a huskie when I was a child - a beautiful dog!!!!

rainbow
February 28th, 2006, 12:05 PM
I have a husky now and had two before him. They are wonderful dogs as long as you are willing to give them lots of attention as they love company. They do have a stubborn streak though and need lots of exercise. I really want to see Eight Below but I think it`s best I wait until it`s out on video as I know I`ll go through a handful of Kleenex. Right now I have my own to enjoy.:love: :pawprint:

doggy lover
February 28th, 2006, 12:11 PM
This is on my list for must see, and I'm sure Tucker will love it when its on dvd.

Prin
February 28th, 2006, 02:59 PM
Do you think people would really just buy such a demanding dog on a whim after watching a movie??

Or... are huskies adaptable to any environment?
Hmmm... I'm thinking dalmations very demanding dogs too, and look at the popularity surge after the cartoon came out.

I'm no husky expert, but from the few I know, they have particular needs that living in an apartment and being alone from 8 to 6 just don't meet. There are a lot of dogs that don't do well without a ton of regular exercise, but IMO, huskies need a bit more than that. They need great leadership, too, along with a good pack dynamic, which comes easier to serious dog-lovers and husky lovers. Basically, if you are expecting your dog to make it without much effort, chances are you're not a dog person and this breed of dog won't become a great pet on its own.

joanna
February 28th, 2006, 09:44 PM
Yup.. you're right... Dalmations.. and Cockers (from Lady & the Tramp) too!!

I still can't believe people would just buy a dog after watching a cartoon :(

As much as they are gorgeous~ I wouldn't think huskies as your average happy easy going family dog.

They do seem to require and thrive on good serious pack order...

I have a husky now and had two before him.

I would looove to hear more about your experiences with those wolf lookin' dogs!!!

doggy lover
March 14th, 2006, 10:12 AM
I seen the movie on the weekend, it was a good but I needed kleenex for sure. It is so sad when the older dogs dies and then the other one gets hurt and dies too. How could you leave them up there for like what 6 months by themselves, I would have stayed, poor puppies.

jesse's mommy
March 14th, 2006, 03:28 PM
Now that you said doggies die in it, I don't think I can watch it. I have a hard time watching movies that animals die in. I know it's a reality of life, but I don't like having that image in my head. I about smacked Jim when he made me watch the original "Where the Red Fern Grows". Then he tried to get me to watch the remake!

mafiaprincess
April 28th, 2006, 02:38 PM
Yeah, I admittedly sat there and cried while my little sister stared at me. Good movie, but sad movie..