Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Gentle Leaders

Luba
November 17th, 2003, 09:08 AM
Hi everybody!

Has anyone else had trouble with gentle leaders irritating their dogs nose?

I have Honey on one when we go for walks because she pulls like an entire husky sled dog team.

By the time we get home her nose under the leader is all pinky from the irritation, maybe the leader sliding around a bit and her pulling so much. We put pure aloe very from our plant on it when we get home and the irritation goes away in a few mins. BUT over time, it could get raw/peely skin.

I've put a piece of soft sponge on it for now but was wondering if anyone has seen a leader that is already padded properly, or an attachment to go on these ones. The straps are very thin, sillly manufacturers!

Luba

marrielle
November 17th, 2003, 10:11 AM
I had exactly the same problem when using a head halter leader. I eventually ended up gluing a strong double strip of felt to the problem areas on the leader. For us it was the muzzle strap that created some irritation. I was training on a Dobermann at the time and have heard of other short haired's having this difficulty. They are nice tools for boisterous dogs aren't they? Better that than a choke in my view.

Luba
November 17th, 2003, 10:29 AM
Yes they're really great for the 'puller' in her HAHA!

Honey's a pointer and has very thin hair on her nose so it's irritating for sure. They should come up with a padded one, or wait maybe we can make some money off of it partner LOL

Chokers don't help the hunting dogs it seems, they're scent and vision driven and go go go!!

Felt is a good idear!

Luba

marrielle
November 17th, 2003, 11:05 AM
You know, I couldn't understand why harnesses are often padded but not the leaders. Strange..I see what you mean about your dog being visually triggered..Dobies are often high prey drive and scan constantly for possible problems so the head leaders can be helpful especially when they' re young.

Luba
November 17th, 2003, 02:57 PM
I love Dobermans, they're great dogs.

I am just putting the finishing touches on Honey's new padded gentle leader. I used foam and covered it with nice soft black velvet...so she so chic now!

ohhh la la