Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What sort of medication?

dogmelissa
February 26th, 2006, 04:40 PM
One of my cats is going to the vet very soon to see if there is any medication that she can go on to try to reduce her stress-reaction. She is healthy, but has never been very good about using the litter box. Since moving to this house (which was inhabited by 2 cats and a ferret before we moved in), she has hardly used the box at all, even though it's kept as clean as possible, and she has more litter boxes in more places than she's ever had. She's recently taken to urinating on the carpet, which is something she's *never* done in the 7 years I've had her. She's always peed on the concrete or linoleum near the boxes, but at least twice in the last 3 weeks she's peed on the rugs in the bathroom, and twice on the carpet in my office (where there are 2 litter boxes in the closet).
I've come to the conclusion this is stress-related since I've tried every kind of litter I can get my hands on to get her into the box, and she's been checked for bladder infections, and nothing else is different. But since I can't seem to do anything to reduce her stress, and I can't cope with her peeing all over my house, I need to try something to see if I can make it better for her. If there's no medication for this, I will have to get her euthanized. I don't want her to go away, but my house smells like cat urine and I've tried everything. It's not sanitary for her or for me and my other pets, and if I don't fix this, it's only going to get worse.

So I'm here to ask experienced people: What types of medication(s) have your cats been on for something like this and were they successful? What were the side-effects? Will she be on medication permanently or will I be able to try to take her off them eventually? Are there even any medications that can help with this, or would she (and I) be happier if I had her euthanized?
Thanks,
Melissa

chico2
February 26th, 2006, 04:58 PM
Melissa,I don't think any animal is happier being killed:sad:
I can understand your problem,I have a neutered male who sprays,resulting in us taking out all carpeting and leaving just the wood-floor.
Yes,cats often get stressed when their living-conditions change and often show it by urinating in different places.
There are meds to calm a cat,often found in Health-Food stores not at the vet..my vet however gave me "Clomipramine"a gel you put in the cats ear,I did not give it to him for a long period,since his ear was getting irritated.
I am guessing you get upset when she urinate and to begin with,rather than punishing her,be calm and affectionate,show her the litterbox.
With time,I am sure she'll relax and accept her new home,I would also remove area-rugs that she tends to go on..a cats life is more important than a bathroom-rug.
There is a really good cleaner,I think it was called Natures Miracle,but I could be wrong.
I am sure someone else will come up with more names and advice for you.

wdawson
February 26th, 2006, 05:25 PM
:eek: euthanized..........install vinyl floors , anything but DEATH:sad:

Lucky Rescue
February 26th, 2006, 05:32 PM
The first thing you must do, if you haven't already, is have her checked for any bladder infection. This will cause inappropriate urination.

If that's okay, then I would try giving her Rescue Remedy, a natural and soothing liquid.

At the same time, try confining her in one room with her litterbox, food etc. and see if you can retrain her. The Rescue Remedy should take a week or two to work.

She will probably feel much calmer and more secure in one room when she knows the other animals cannot come in and that might help.

If she is healthy and putting her in one room doesn't help, then you need to make the space smaller - like a large dog crate where there is room ONLY for litterbox, bed and food. Then she'll have no choice but to use the box.

I certainly understand why you don't want your house full of pee - no one would - but please try everything else before killing her.

dogmelissa
February 26th, 2006, 07:22 PM
:eek: euthanized..........install vinyl floors , anything but DEATH:sad:

The first thing you must do, if you haven't already, is have her checked for any bladder infection. This will cause inappropriate urination.
If that's okay, then I would try giving her Rescue Remedy, a natural and soothing liquid.
At the same time, try confining her in one room with her litterbox, food etc. and see if you can retrain her. The Rescue Remedy should take a week or two to work.
She will probably feel much calmer and more secure in one room when she knows the other animals cannot come in and that might help.
If she is healthy and putting her in one room doesn't help, then you need to make the space smaller - like a large dog crate where there is room ONLY for litterbox, bed and food. Then she'll have no choice but to use the box.
I certainly understand why you don't want your house full of pee - no one would - but please try everything else before killing her.

Dawson: Feel free to offer to pay to have vinyl floors installed in my 1500 sq ft house, cause I can't afford it.

Lucky: She's been checked for bladder infections, there is nothing there. She will be checked again to make sure. But this has been going on for 7 years, and it's just gotten really bad in the last couple months, since I moved to this house. She also doesn't poop in the box, unless it's just been emptied, bleached, re-filled with perfectly clean litter, and no other cat has so much as stepped in it. I can't keep a litter box *that* clean!

I can't confine her to a room. Not because I don't have a room to do that in (I could put her in the bathroom), but because she is so lonely that she cries all the time. The reason I got other cats was because she was horribly lonely when I went to work. She wouldn't eat, wouldn't use the litter box, and cried if I even left the room. When I got the other girl, she was much better. They don't often cuddle up together, but they'll sleep on the same couch or at least in the same room, and for about a year, she was very good with the litter box, only refusing to use it when it was really dirty. When I got another kitten (by accident; he was rescued), then she peed on the floor about once a week, no matter how clean the box was. Figured that was because Taz was scaring her (he's twice her size). When we moved to a condo, she pooped on the floor about once a week, and peed on it about every other day, but always on the concrete in the basement, never anywhere else. And again, I figured it was stress + Taz. Now in the new house, I have 4 litter boxes; 2 upstairs and 2 downstairs. Taz still stresses her out, but she can go to a box when he's not aware of it, depending on which she chooses and where he is. But now she's peeing on the floor everyday, pooping on the floor everyday, and has started peeing on the carpet in my office (where the upstairs boxes are), and on the rugs in the bathroom (on a middle level--no boxes), and I'm afraid that pretty soon it's going to be everywhere and anywhere. She used the boxes here for about the first 2 days, and has used them for 2 days since (when I bleached and re-filled all of them), but most of the time she just refuses them. Neither Taz nor Rusty has ever refused a litter box, though Taz has had a few misses, where he just peed over the edge. She knows she's not supposed to pee on the floor, because she always tries to bury it (scratch marks in the carpet), and looks ashamed of herself if I catch her in the act, but that doesn't seem to stop her.
As I said, I've tried everything else, and nothing seems to make a difference. I want to know if there are medications for her, but if they don't work, I can't let her live like this. She's not happy, I'm not happy, and it's not fair to her to live her life under such stress. I don't want to have her euthanized; the thought of her not being in my life is really horrible, but she's not happy and I don't know how to make her happy. Maybe she has a mental problem, and if I can't fix it with medication, then I can't let her suffer. I will try the rescue remedy, but I tried it with my dog and it made him worse, so I don't have high hopes.

All I want to know is what sort of anti-anxiety or anti-stress drugs other people have tried with their cats, what the side-effects were, did they work and is there a possibility she could be taken off them eventually? I don't want or need people telling me that I'm horrible to think of killing her. This cat is more important to me than just about anything else in the world, and killing her is the LAST thing I want to do. But I need her to be happy.

Melissa

Lucky Rescue
February 26th, 2006, 07:31 PM
It certainly sounds like she's a very thin-skinned and easily stressed cat and yes, she's probably unhappy too.

I would really try the Rescue Remedy for her. I used it for my freaked out cat, and it did mellow her out a bit. It's not drugging her - it just takes the edge off of the anxiety.

There is a drug that the vet can give you. It's called Clomicalm and seems to be quite successful in treating anxiety.

You can also get a Feliway diffuser that supposedly releases calming pheromones and may help.

Good luck!

chico2
February 27th, 2006, 02:45 PM
Melissa,I understand it is not easy to deal with,believe me I know,hopefully the meds will help her.
My Rocky sprays and always has,mostly when he gets upset about something,like a strange cat outside.
I know I have to live with it,because I love him,could not even imagine having him euthanized:sad:
I stopped with the meds the vet gave me,but that does not mean it would not work for your cat.
Rocky uses the litter-boxes for his regular business,I never clean the boxes with bleach,maybe your kitty reacts to the bleach:confused:

dogmelissa
February 27th, 2006, 08:12 PM
Rocky uses the litter-boxes for his regular business,I never clean the boxes with bleach,maybe your kitty reacts to the bleach:confused:

Chico, What do you use to clean the boxes if not bleach? I've always used bleach. Not sure what other cleaner would get the guck off there.

- Melissa

dogmelissa
February 27th, 2006, 08:50 PM
Thanks to the advice of Lucky Rescue, I went out today in a search for Rescue Remedy. Both places that were within my time frame for driving tolerance (in rush hour on the way home to let my dog out) did not have Rescue Remedy. But more and more I'm liking the staff and products at Pet Planet. There, I found a very interesting and enthusiastic girl who didn't know what Rescue Remedy was, but when I told her it was for helping with stress, she took me to their "anti-stress" display. There, we went through about 4 different products, until on her recommendation, I picked up "Herbal Calmer for Pets" made by Holistic Blend. Here is a link: http://holisticblend.com/sup_calmer.html
This product contains skullcap, which apparently was originally used to treat rabies, but is "known as a nerve tonic and sedative for relieving anxiety, neuralgia, and insomnia." It also contains chamomile, which is a mild sedative, and cod liver oil, which seems to be good for everything.

I'm going to give it a try before I venture into the world of expensive prescription medication with lots of side-effects. If anyone has ever tried this, please let me know if it works.

Thanks!
Melissa

Lucky Rescue
February 27th, 2006, 09:15 PM
I don't know about that product, but you can get RR at health food stores and some grocery stores.

Here is a link about the ingredients and how it works:
http://www.bachflower.com/rescue_remedy.htm

chico2
February 28th, 2006, 08:25 AM
Melissa,I don't use any cleaner,just water:confused:
I change the clumping litter,completely every two weeks and pick out poops and stuff twice a day.
I don't find there is much"gucky" stuff left after dumping the litter.
I know my cats react to strong smells,like bleach and other cleaning-agents,but yours might not.
I read here on the Forum,that bleach smells like pee to cats and not to use it for cleaning up"accidents"maybe your kitty thinks it's always dirty,then again maybe not:confused:

Lucky Rescue
February 28th, 2006, 10:32 AM
Agree with Chico that bleach may not be the best thing to use.

I just use mild dishsoap, and rinse really well!