Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Front paw not having good circulation

Jeff's Girl
February 26th, 2006, 11:21 AM
Hi,
My cat Homer is 3 1/2 years old, he is generally healthy. 4 weeks ago his right rear leg had no use. We took him to the vet and they thought it was a blood clot moving through his leg. The next day he was fine. Now his right front paw doesn't seem to have good circulation. The pink pads on the bottom get very pale at times. The vet thought it might be the cold because he goes outside, but we have kept him in for a few days and nothing seems to change. The vet did listen to his heart and said it was sounding good. Has anyone else heard of this?

Lucky Rescue
February 26th, 2006, 12:42 PM
Someone wrote about this problem here once, and I believe it was due to something called "Saddle Thrombosis".

You can read about it here:
http://www.thepetcenter.com/sur/sa.html

Jeff's Girl
February 26th, 2006, 01:03 PM
Thank you Lucky Resue,
I will look more into the Saddle Thrombus and ask my vet about it. The only thing is that he doesn't seem to be in any pain.

Lucky Rescue
February 26th, 2006, 01:16 PM
Yes, I meant "thrombus".:p

I hope you find out what's causing the poor circulation!

Prin
February 26th, 2006, 09:32 PM
What food are you feeding? Maybe more omega-3 fatty acids would help his circulation a bit (ask your vet first of course).

Jeff's Girl
February 28th, 2006, 05:56 PM
He eats Friskies and IAMS wet food. Thanks for the tip, I'll ask my doctor, I have to call back in 2 weeks, they gave him an anti inflamatory priscription. It seems like that is helping.