Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Horse hit and run in Toronto!

babyrocky1
February 25th, 2006, 05:34 PM
Some jerk just drove his car into a cop on a horse in Toronto, I think Scarborough, the horse was so badly injured that he had to be put down!!! Im not sure if this is the right place to post it but I know as animal lovers we all want to know about this kind of thing, Im really interested to see how they pursue these charges legally. (I think they got the guy, there were alot of witnesses.) I hope he gets whatever max sentence there is for the horses death and that that sets a precedent for everyone that intentionally or negligently hurts animals. :sad:

BMDLuver
February 25th, 2006, 06:47 PM
hmmmmm... I think that perhaps a horse is considered an officer as are dogs so he's going to be in deep doodoo for this one.

Poor horse... hope the officer was ok?

doggy lover
February 25th, 2006, 07:19 PM
It was in Scarborough just minutes from where I live. My son was on his way home from his friends and the horse was lying covered in the road. So he told me about it.

In the 11pm news it showed you that the horse was screaming in pain and then the police shot the horse as it was so badly hurt that it was the humane thing to do.
What happened was some Crazy turned his van around and ran into the horse at about 80 km\pr, then drove away. People there ran to help the officer and the horse there was one other mounted officer with him and two more further down the road. The officer was thrown 6 feet away from the horse and had minor injuries and was taken to hospital but later released. They had to shoot the poor horse as it had two broken legs and was bleeding from the neck badly.
Later the van was found and they followed it to the owner that was charged with many different charges, he was a 42 year old man.
Yes the horses of police here are classed as officers and will carry the same charge as if he hurt a police officer of the human kind.

I just can't believe someone would deliberately run into such a beautiful animal, what is the point. I wonder if there is drugs or booze involved or the guy is just nuts. I cried watching it on the news and I mean it showed everything, you could hear the horse in distress and then they walked over and shot him twice. Thankfully for the horse that was the end of his suffering but oh my god why would someone do it? I like to put him on the 401 and see how long he can dodge traffic for until he get nailed by a car or a truck. Everyone at work was talking about it today and I can say that we were all shocked, its just so sickening.

doggy lover
February 26th, 2006, 07:22 PM
http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&call_pageid=971358637177&c=Article&cid=1140868942612
http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&call_pageid=971358637177&c=Article&cid=1140909028503

here are a couple of articles about the horse that was hit on Friday, such a sad ending for a beautiful horse.

mastifflover
February 26th, 2006, 11:06 PM
Truly despicable I cried too when I saw it on the news. They thought it was intentional I don't know if that has changed but the loser thought he would not get caught. I hope they throw the book at him.

Georgiapeaches
February 27th, 2006, 12:01 AM
This is so sad. I'm sure the Policer Officer is devastated to lose his partner.
I really hope the man responsible gets the maximum penalty.

If you would like to send your condolences to the toronto police mounted unit, here is the link http://www.torontopolice.on.ca/directory/mail.php?id=264

babyrocky1
February 27th, 2006, 01:00 PM
Thanks Georgia Peaches, It felt a little better to send condolances, I think now that the man may have been mentally ill. Its all so sad though:sad:

kayla
February 27th, 2006, 05:18 PM
Wow, bad week for Toronto horses. I just read Lezzpezz's post (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=24096) from last week about the two dogs attacking a Toronto horse, hard to believe to such incidences would happen in one week. :(

Georgiapeaches
February 27th, 2006, 10:56 PM
Another report on this. A memorial service will be held for Brigadier.

Mount Mourned

When Toronto Police arrived for work on Monday, they knew that one of their own wouldn’t be back on duty.

Even the most jaded cop is reeling from the loss of a police horse.

Brigadier, a steed who served for almost a decade with the Mounted Unit, was killed Friday night at Lawrence and Kingston Road.

Cops allege a hit and run motorist deliberately aimed his car right at the animal and the officer riding him, after they tried to pull him over in a traffic stop.

His handlers were forced to make the terrible decision to put him down, after his injuries proved too severe.

Forty-two year-old Dirk Sankersingh made a brief appearance before a judge Monday and is expected to get a bail hearing Wednesday. It’s not likely he’ll be set free.

He’s facing charges of dangerous driving causing bodily harm and leaving the scene.

Const. Kevin Bradfield, who was thrown from the horse, suffered broken ribs and injuries to his neck, back and leg. He’s since been released from hospital.

He should be recovered in time for what's expected to be a hero’s farewell for the stalwart steed.

Police have confirmed that memorial will be held next Monday at 10am at the Ricoh Coliseum. They expect a full house.

“Brigadier was highly trained, a tremendous horse,” relates Mayor David Miller. “And I think all of us, if you know horses, you love them. And it's a loss for all Torontonians.”

http://www.pulse24.com/News/Top_Story/20060227-003/page.asp

happycats
February 28th, 2006, 06:10 AM
sorry double post

happycats
February 28th, 2006, 06:12 AM
I heard on the news last night that police dogs and horses are not protected, like they are in 28 states. So basically this idiot will get nothing for killing that horse, only for injuring the officer, hit and run, and leaving the scene.

Maybe now because of the 2 horses in the past 2 weeks, they will change the laws, and make hurting/killing a police animal a crime!!

This guy is a total idiot!! I hope he gets attempted murder charge, for intentionally ramming his car into the horse and officer!!

starr
February 28th, 2006, 03:28 PM
I think it's disgusting that something like this doesn't make "bigger news". I am in BC, and didn't hear anything. It's like it doesn't matter because it's "just a horse". I hate attitudes like that. In the summer of 2004, a driver struck down an older gentleman on his elderly horse who were going for a stroll down a residential/farming road. The poor horse didn't die right away and had to be put down. This happened in Maple Ridge, BC. Numerous people we know went on a huge "horse march" to city hall on "Howdee's" behalf to protest the laws protecting horses and riders in rural areas.
We lived to far away to attend but talked to numerous friends who did. They said that the traffic around the horses never really let up..people came too close..including our RCMP, who were supposedly there to protect the riders and their horses. The riders said the police were nearly as inconsiderate which frustrated everyone. Some drivers flew by and yelled out the window, some threw things. Fortunately there were many who came out in support.
I can't find Howdee's memorial site or I'd post it. However, these vests were out on riders, in droves, in support of Howdee.
http://www.yellowvest.com/store/Scripts/default.asp
I have one myself but I guess if some idiot is going to crash into a police officer on a horse, what will stop that person from being disrespectful to a vest wearer? Hopefully it will help. I wish there were stronger laws for people who do this kind of thing. Poor horses.

babyrocky1
February 28th, 2006, 05:00 PM
I heard on the news last night that police dogs and horses are not protected, like they are in 28 states. So basically this idiot will get nothing for killing that horse, only for injuring the officer, hit and run, and leaving the scene.

Maybe now because of the 2 horses in the past 2 weeks, they will change the laws, and make hurting/killing a police animal a crime!!

This guy is a total idiot!! I hope he gets attempted murder charge, for intentionally ramming his car into the horse and officer!! The incident with the two dogs was minor, the horse will be fine, one of the dogs was an unmuzzled pit bull, I believe he has already been put down:sad: My vet told me that the officers in that case were more upset about the dog being put down., I dont know which one actually injured the horse but the one that wasn't a pit bull is still with his owner. Yet another brilliant owner:eek:

twodogsandacat
March 6th, 2006, 06:56 AM
http://torontosun.ca/Lifestyle/2006/03/06/1474978-sun.html

When animals grieve
Studies show their distress manifests itself much like our own
By JOANNE RICHARD, TORONTO SUN
While a few thousand are expected to gather this morning to mourn the passing of prized police horse Brigadier, are his stable mates grieving as well?
One of the herd is missing. And they're probably aware, says one equine behaviour expert; many companion animals share emotional responses strikingly similar to our own.
"The longer and closer their association has been, the more strongly and the longer they are likely to grieve," says Dr. Jessica Jahiel, internationally-known horse trainer and lecturer. "That's not too different from the way humans react, is it?"
Brigadier, a 9-year-old Belgian-cross with four years of police service, was put down after being deliberately struck by a vehicle in a hit-and-run while on duty in Toronto 11 days ago. His legs were shattered and the distressed animal had to be shot twice where he lay.
"What's very interesting about horses is that the sight of a companion's dead body doesn't seem to cause distress -- they will typically sniff it and then turn away. Perhaps they are more clever than we are, or more realistic -- they seem to know that the body isn't the important part of their friend, and although they make it clear that they miss the other horse, they aren't usually preoccupied with its remains," says Jahiel, also an author and clinician.
The emotional lives of animals have been carefully researched and documented in books and articles, including grief which has been observed in many wild species and companion animals following the death of a pack member. A deep attachment in their social group is common among many in the animal kingdom; intricate funeral rituals are even followed by elephants, including mourning at the gravesite for hours.
Toronto police constable Chris Heard has witnessed the beauty of animal bonding throughout his eight years with the city's mounted unit: "Horses are extremely social animals." Brigadier was stabled with 27 horses in the mounted unit and the mounts rotated shifts together.
'FREAKED OUT'
Heard is the constable who trailered the three remaining police horses on duty back to the barn following Brigadier being put down: "They really freaked out all the way back -- bucking and kicking. I had to stop the trailer four times and go back and calm them down ... This has never happened before.
"I can't explain it -- maybe they fed off the fact that four left the barn but only three were coming back," says Heard. "Brigadier was an alpha -- he was the head honcho!"
Jahiel isn't surprised at the horses' reactions: "Their behaviour at the scene was almost certainly based on fear and agitation, especially their riders' fear and agitation --and, no doubt, anger at the driver of the vehicle, and frustration at their inability to apprehend the guilty party immediately.
"The horses wouldn't necessarily understand the reasons for their riders' emotions, but they would definitely perceive all of them and be strongly affected by them."
But grief wouldn't set in immediately, she says: "If all of the horses are close pals, and had all been turned out together or stabled and worked close together for years, their riders should be aware of and watch for signs of grief, but not immediately.
"Actual grieving probably won't begin until the other horses figure out that the missing horse is well and truly gone," says the Illinois horse trainer. "In horses, grief manifests itself, usually, by a certain dullness, a diminished interest in just about everything, often including eating.
She says, "A grieving horse may appear dull, slow, uninterested and tired -- in the same way that a depressed human can appear dull, slow, uninterested and tired. In fact, a grieving horse may appear to be suffering from depression."
LONG PROCESS
The grieving process can't be hurried, says Jahiel. "I've seen horses grieve for many months -- one mare of mine grieved for nearly 11 months after the death of a half-sister with whom she had shared a stable and field for 19 years.
"She did emerge from her misery eventually, regained all the weight she had lost, and became her normal cheerful self again -- but even though she was not alone, the grieving process took nearly a year," adds Jahiel, author of The Horse Behaviour Problem Solver.
Meanwhile, a study by the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals reveals that animals experience emotional responses to significant upheaval in their environment: 66% of dogs exhibited four or more behavioural changes after losing a pet companion.
Grieving pets may also continue to look for their dead companion, says renowned canine expert Dr. Stanley Coren, who believes social animals, especially dogs and horses, love and suffer. They form deep attachments with each other and "when grieving, they show certain behaviours similar to humans."
Owners can help the surviving pet adjust to the loss by giving them something to do, advises Coren. "Change their circumstances a bit, engage them in their favourite activity and introduce them to new friends -- the same things you'd do for a human."

CyberKitten
March 6th, 2006, 10:30 AM
I too saw this on the news and was very sad to hear about the poor horse - and the officer though at least he did not die!! They are holding a ceremony today and indicated they have been receiving much sympathy from the public for poor Brigadier!! RIP Brigadier!!!!!

I too hope the idiot who did this feels the fullest extent of the law!

Mom_Of_Two_Dogs
March 7th, 2006, 12:08 PM
RIP, Brig :( I think this guy needs to have a cruelty to animals charge slapped down on him in addition to the other charges. I was so sad to hear this.

jesse's mommy
March 7th, 2006, 12:10 PM
I think it should be more than animal cruelty charges. Personally I think they should bring charges against him for attempted murder on an officer.

starr
March 7th, 2006, 01:22 PM
It is a featured story. Everyone go and give it a high rating and show the country, the world for that matter, that stories like this deserve to be told.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060306/wl_canada_afp/canadapoliceanimal_060306221629

Writing4Fun
March 7th, 2006, 02:24 PM
I'm furious!! :mad: Have you read the "comments" people are leaving about this story? They're comparing Brigadier to a motorcycle, saying it's insane to mourn him because he was "just a horse". They don't like that tax payers' dollars were spent on the funeral as well as on the transportation for all the people who attended the funeral. It's disgusting! :mad:

doggy lover
March 7th, 2006, 06:33 PM
I wish I could have gone, but I had to work. I did send a email with my condolances though.:angel:

doggy lover
April 2nd, 2006, 05:53 PM
www.torontohumanesociety.com/brigs_law.html

sign this petition so that police animals are treated equal. After all it is our tax paying money that is spent on the training and care of these animals. It cost us about a million, and some idiot to took away this animals life and no charges have been layed for it.:mad: