Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

For year old bitten by Golden

babyrocky1
February 25th, 2006, 05:43 PM
There is a crawler on CP24, saying that a 4 year old is in critical condition after being attacked in his home in EDMONTON by a golden Retriever! Good thing thing theres a pit bull ban there:eek: Has anyone heard any more details????

Loki
February 25th, 2006, 07:34 PM
http://www.edmontonsun.com/News/Edmonton/2006/02/25/1461760-sun.html

divinecalamity
February 26th, 2006, 12:05 AM
It is sad for the little boy...but I was happy to hear that it wasn't your typical "killer" dog breed...there has been talk here (edmonton) previously and everytime a dog bites to restrict more breeds (pitbulls are restricted...but we can still own them)...last I heard they wanted to add rotties, shepherds, and akita's to the list..:sad: Edmonton...the "pug" only city. I hope the little boy recovers well:angel: :fingerscr

pitbulliest
February 26th, 2006, 12:54 AM
A golden retriever? IMPOSSIBLE!
There must be some sort of mistake...these dogs have never ever in the history of man kind attacked anyone. They aren't, after all, evil pit bulls.

You know what? The dog must have been misidentified that's all. It was definately a pit bull. Golden's just don't hurt people, period!

I'm so glad Edmonton banned pit bulls, I'm sure animal control will look into it and put that evil pit bull that was mistakened for a NORMAL dog, down...

:D :angel:

BMDLuver
February 26th, 2006, 07:42 AM
It's a pity the little boy was hurt however, the dog will pay for it with it's life most likely. This is why rescues are hesitant to place dogs with families who have small children.. why was this child allowed to jump on the family dog? Even the most even tempered dog will eventually defend itself. I blame the family, not the dog, however unpopular that may be as the family should have taught the child to respect the animal and treat it with kindness. Dogs are not trampolines. :sad:

mastifflover
February 26th, 2006, 07:51 AM
BMD and pitbulliest I happen to agree wholeheartedly with both of you. What were the parents thinking leaving a 4 year old with a dog. More and more I think parents need training classes if they want kids, instead of blaming a dog or later on society for hurting their kid. Parents need to be responsible for their own kids, I did not think pets were babysitters. Poor dog I do feel bad for the kid but in the same breath I don't feel sorry for the parents they should have been a lot smarter. That may not be a popular comment but I know some of you are thinking it.

pitbulliest
February 26th, 2006, 01:38 PM
On a very important note, my little snitty remarks on the whole pitbull being mistakened for a golden was a sarcastic remark...

lol

But I definately think that people need to start taking responsibility for their pets...Even in some online photos that I see people posting on various pet chatrooms, I see kids lying on top of a dog, or a kid piggy back riding on the dog...and the first thing I ask myself is: how is that being responsible? The dog might be very friendly, but how would you feel if someone just jumped on your back?

People, you need to start teaching your kids how to appropriately interact with animals, be it a stranger's pet or YOUR OWN....
Dogs need their "alone" time...they aren't babysitters for poop sakes! And they sure as heck aren't pony's or stuffed animals...

mastifflover
February 27th, 2006, 12:12 AM
Dogs need their "alone" time...they aren't babysitters for poop sakes! And they sure as heck aren't pony's or stuffed animals...
Well said I can't tell you how many people say oh my kid could ride your dog and I know given the opportunity they would. Then wonder why the dog bit the kid. Love the poop sakes very funny

babyrocky1
February 27th, 2006, 12:43 PM
It would be ridiculous to put that dog down, no dog should be expected not to react if a child jumps on them! And it sounds like there was no supervision, I have to say I still fell sorry for all involved, people make mistakes and thanks to politicians who repeatedly tell everyone that onlly certtain breeds are the problem, and golden retreivers are one of the breeds that are considered by these idiots to be saintly were as the rottis and pitties are the "devil, people mindlessly buy into it and here we are with a needless serious injury to a child! Okay its Alberta so I cant blame Bryant DIRECTLY but isnt Edmonton one of the places that was celebrated by Bryant in his delight with banning pit bulls....isnt that were that Dack guy is from the guy that helped with the bill here???? BRYANT and his cronies share the blame here along with the media however this article is a good one to refer to as it sites so many attacks on kids, and none of them are pit bulls.

babyrocky1
February 27th, 2006, 12:46 PM
It is sad for the little boy...but I was happy to hear that it wasn't your typical "killer" dog breed...there has been talk here (edmonton) previously and everytime a dog bites to restrict more breeds (pitbulls are restricted...but we can still own them)...last I heard they wanted to add rotties, shepherds, and akita's to the list..:sad: Edmonton...the "pug" only city. I hope the little boy recovers well:angel: :fingerscrBy restricted do you meant the same as in Ontario, new ones banned and existing pitties grandfathered and muzzled?

Lucky Rescue
February 27th, 2006, 01:05 PM
why was this child allowed to jump on the family dog?

Because it's a Golden! Labs are seen the same way, and they have a high incidence of biting children because people feel if it's one of those breeds, kids could jump on their heads and they won't react!

babyrocky1
February 27th, 2006, 01:38 PM
Because it's a Golden! Labs are seen the same way, and they have a high incidence of biting children because people feel if it's one of those breeds, kids could jump on their heads and they won't react! Exactly, its as much an urban legend as the "people eating pit bulls!" But its dangerous to underestimate the "dogness" of any dog! As has been said so many times, they arent people! I may be wrong but Ive heard that the highest number of bites in Ottawa are by labs, not that theres anything wrong with labs, ofcourse! But if its true, we can se ow it happens. I personally know only two people whoes dogs have bitten people, both of them children, one was a golden and one was a lab. The lab was sleeping and I dont kow what the kid did that was bitten, in the goldens case he had an undiagnosed case of hip dysplacia.