Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Roommate Rant

PetFriendly
February 25th, 2006, 02:02 PM
Ok, so I have a roommate. My roommate has a cat. The cat was a foundling that she took in when it was around 2. The cat is highly dependant on her and has various sorts of attention seeking behaviors, ie. playing in the litter box, scratching on the washing machine next to the litter box, eating too fast then throwing up (yes I've taken him to the vet, he's otherwise fine), and caterwauling up and down the hall.
Here I should point out that my dog has a very minor case of SA that really only comes out on week-ends when I run errands (he whines and howls for about 45 minutes after I leave).
When I first mentioned to the roommate (who is gone more often than she's here) that her cat is rather distressed when she's gone often, she shrugged it off saying, 'oh well, I guess Merlin has separation anxiety like Charley does' .
When the scratching on the washing machine picked up (sounds like nails on a chalk board) I mentioned it again since the laundry room is right outside my bedroom and the cat likes to make noise at 4 am, she pulled out all the reasons why she can't be here more (work, overtime, school, studying), apologized for the noise and walked out the door with her boyfriend to go out for dinner and a movie, leaving me to deal with a noisy cat. Please not e that this was a Thursday and she hadn't really been home other than to sleep since the previous Sunday.
I'm getting to the end of my rope... On top of not spending enough time with her poor cat (who won't come to me for attention no matter what I do for him), she not pulling her weight around here, she never does groceries (but she'll pay for half of what I buy), she rarely cleans and if she does its not worth it anyways, and she seems to think that i don't notice when its her turn to clean the litter box and she doesn't do it. There's really nothing I can do because I like to have a selection of food in my pantry, I like a clean house and my cat likes her litter box clean so I end up spending 4 hours of my week-end doing it all by myself all the while listening to her crazy cat caterwauling up and down the hall because she and her boyfriend had to 'get away for the week-end'...
And I know there's nothing that you all can do, that I'm going to have to sit her down and tell her she's torturing both her cat and me and that its going to have to stop. But thanks for letting me vent, I feel better now (or the cleaning products have finally gotten to my head, we have options ;) )

Skryker
February 25th, 2006, 03:18 PM
I feel for ya, PetFriendly! Roommates can be awful. I had one during my second year of university that, 2 months running paid his share of the rent (lease was in my name) a week late-in loonies and 2$ bills. He was a waiter, you see, so he gave me his tip money. Yeesh.

My husband's friend just moved out in October. He came to stay with us 5 years ago-just until he got on his feet. Yup. Just 'til we said, "Enough". Never did a bit of house work, never bought common groceries (we did away with community groceries pretty quickly) but sure used his share, made a huge mess all the time...

You never really know someone until you live with them. Sorry your room mate is such an irresponsible pet owner.

chico2
February 25th, 2006, 04:03 PM
I too am sorry about your frustrating situation,but also for the poor cat.
There is no such thing as a crazy cat,maybe crazy for affection and attention,but it's hardly the cats fault.
Your room-mate is being a selfish b@#ch,although I applaude her for taking in a homeless cat,she should also take the responsabilitys coming with pet-ownershhip.
I am afraid the solution will be,to dump the poor cat at the SPCA and he'll be paying the ultimate price for her neglect:sad:

PetFriendly
February 25th, 2006, 06:52 PM
Your room-mate is being a selfish b@#ch,although I applaude her for taking in a homeless cat,she should also take the responsabilitys coming with pet-ownershhip.
I am afraid the solution will be,to dump the poor cat at the SPCA and he'll be paying the ultimate price for her neglect:sad:

That's the thing, there isn't a price that's too high for this cat. He gets the full medical treatment at the vet's office and will get taken in to be looked at if something is up, he gets Revolution flea treatment all summer, wormed spring and fall. I buy really good (read to say: fairly expensive) food and litter for my cat and she was more than happy to pay for half of it so hers could have it too. But somewhere along the way she figured that cats were independant and didn't need you more than a few minutes a day, if that. (I've never left my dog with her for more than 36 hours... I shudder to think how neglected he'd feel...)

I'll take her cat in if it comes down to it, he's too chicken to make it at the SPCA and I'd never do that to him, besides, he and my Pringles actually get along, and he's actually quite handsome so he'd be worth it.

Thanks for letting me know I'm not the only, nor the first vicitim of a less than hlepfull room-mate.

PetFriendly
February 25th, 2006, 07:14 PM
There is no such thing as a crazy cat,maybe crazy for affection and attention,but it's hardly the cats fault.

Oh, he's very close to being certifiable, and I've had my fare share of neurotic animals... I love him and would do anyting for him (including not throwing him out the door in the dead of the night for making noise that wake the dead, because its -20 out there...) but at this point Prozac would probably help the poor guy :) (he has a history of weirdness, most of which was improperly excused because he was a foundling and his owner can be dense)

chico2
February 26th, 2006, 07:27 AM
P-F,at least with you around it seems like the kitty is still having a pretty good life,at least he is indoors,well fed etc..it could be so much worse.
I did not mean there are no neurotic cats,there sure are,but most of the time there is a reason for it.
My cats have the"crazies"at least once a day:D

jiorji
February 26th, 2006, 04:33 PM
thank you so much!!!

I was debating on whether or not I should get a roommate next year, but I think this thread gave me the answer lol

poor cat. It sounds like he's working so hard to get her attention and yet nobody's listening :sad:

umm perhaps it's time to move out??:rolleyes:

Writing4Fun
February 26th, 2006, 05:12 PM
Hi there PF. Thanks for caring more for this cat than his "owner" does. :thumbs up

Some folks on this site can tell you about something called "Rescue Remedy". It's apparently an all-natural calming agent found in health food stores. I'm not familiar with it, but I'm sure you'll find all sorts of information if you just search this forum for the phrase. Maybe someone who knows what they're talking about can tell you more about it. ;)

StaceyB
February 26th, 2006, 05:30 PM
I am sure she thinks that she doesn't have to give this cat any attention because you are doing it for her. sad

CyberKitten
February 26th, 2006, 05:46 PM
If you do what he wants when he is "caterwaling" (always hated that word - can I say screaming instead or just loudly meowing(, maybe he IS getting what he wants. If you ignore him, he may actually come to you more. I too doubt he is crazy - tho maybe has "issues" as some kitties do - I have a Siamese who talks loudly with a large and gropwing by the day vocabulary when she wants what she wants or thinks something is not beong done that she assumes MUST be done NOW - is he part meezer? :) (I love meezers for many reasons but one of them is because they do talk so much, lol).

I wouild jusy add that saying the cat is crazy is anthropomorphizing him and he's a cat - he is expressing something and needs you to figure it out since hie so called human won't. He prob likes you just fine but has a unique qay of showing it, esp if you sre there more often and you change the litter and feed him (Kitties DO notice these things, trust me)

Thx for caring about him - and I am guessing that whatever issues he has, he does like you!! Pron better than his so called you know...

SnowDancer
February 27th, 2006, 01:51 PM
I suggest at bedtime - or other times cat is scratching washer that you cover it with a couple of large bath towels. This will help quite a bit. If the towel falls behind just be ready with a long broom handle to pick it up.

PetFriendly
February 28th, 2006, 05:12 PM
umm perhaps it's time to move out??:rolleyes:

Funny you should say that... The appartment is mine, and its in the lower half of my boyfriend's house... As soon as the BF is finished renovatinghis half, I'm moving in there... Downside is, he only started renovating and it won't be finished for another year or so. But at least there's hope I guess.

PetFriendly
February 28th, 2006, 05:24 PM
He scratches any time there's an animated conversation going on, if I have the music or TV too loud, if its too quiet, plus he scratches every time he actually uses the litter box...
Here's the set up we have. One of the 'holes' in the lower part of the door is sealed with plexiglass (the one on your right), while the 'hole' on your left has a plexiglass door on hinges. Originally we didn't have the plexiglass, but the smell of the poop was too much for the puppy to resist, since we've had the plexiglass he walks right by it.

PetFriendly
February 28th, 2006, 05:26 PM
Here's the inside. I got the slim box on the week-end thinking that would fix the problem (towels are a good idea but since the machines are stacked it wouldn't work) but he's turned to scratching the stationary plexiglass instead?! I also changed the litter to wheat something-or-other, in case the clay between his toes was bothing him... that didn't help either.

PetFriendly
February 28th, 2006, 05:32 PM
[QUOTE=CyberKitten]I have a Siamese who talks loudly with a large and gropwing by the day vocabulary when she wants what she wants or thinks something is not beong done that she assumes MUST be done NOW - is he part meezer? :) (I love meezers for many reasons but one of them is because they do talk so much, lol).
QUOTE]

My cat Pringles likes things done on a schedule and will let you know if you're running late. She talks rather than yells though and also has a range of octives she can use and will only do so if she has an audience. Merlin just flat out screams all alone while sitting in the middle of the hall way.

What do you mean he's not a human... lol I know exactly what his problem is, his human isn't home and there's nothing I can do to fix that... Except slip some extra catnip into his little houses, seems to mellow him out the way pot does to teenagers... I just might beon to something!

CyberKitten
February 28th, 2006, 06:12 PM
Thinking of catnip, have you tried slipping him some Rescue Remedy or Feliway diffuser?

PetFriendly
March 1st, 2006, 06:15 PM
Thinking of catnip, have you tried slipping him some Rescue Remedy or Feliway diffuser?

I haven't gotten that far yet. For now anyway, the catnip and box against the appliance is working along with more attention to him from me. I'll go with that for now, but will speak to the vet about Rescue Remedy and find a place that sells it. Thanks!

Skryker
March 1st, 2006, 06:31 PM
My cat (who is laid back and spoiled) scratches the litter box, the wall beside the litter box and the floor outside it-always has, in 4 different houses. I've had other cats that did that, too. I almost think it's somehow soothing for them-a kind of kitty Zen thing, because she looks zoned out while doing it. So maybe it's a boredom or stress reliever for your roomate's cat. Do you have a scratching post anywhere?

chico2
March 2nd, 2006, 08:20 AM
Skryker just lit a dormant lightbulb in my brain:D
Of course he would be scratching at the dryer,since the boxes are against the dryer..
My cats do the same,scratch the walls and anything else near the boxes,send the bathroom-rug for a flight(boxes are in downstairs bathroom)in an attempt to cover their business:D although way off the mark.

PetFriendly
March 7th, 2006, 05:48 PM
So what you're saying is that the cat scratching everything in sight is normal... While not so good for my sanity, at least I feel better about the mental stability of the cat!

The cats do have scratch boxes. Both cats like the pressed corugated card board ones (bonus since they are affordable) and we have two in the livingroom, one slanted one and one flat one (my cat likes the flat ones) and each of us have one in our rooms to make sure they are always accessible and visible to the cats.

chico2
March 8th, 2006, 07:24 AM
PetFriendly,I did not mean to say they scratch"everything",only it seems your litter-boxes are wedged in where the dryer is and they would just naturally scratch any area close to their boxes to cover up their business,thinging they are being good little kitties:love:

Skryker
March 8th, 2006, 01:32 PM
Yep, just the stuff "close" to the litter box-and that definition is up to the cat. Poor Merlin does sound as though he has some issues, but aside from annoying you, I don't think the scratching on the dryer is a problem.
:D I think that maybe, too, cats will try to bury the contents of the litter box as long as they can smell it, so anything within odor range is probably fair game. I know that once in a while I find a magazine from the rack 5 feet away from Dancer's litter box in the bathroom over covering the opening of the box (it's enclosed), and think, "Wow! That must have been a bad one!".:crazy: