Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Overweight Pug

skyenakitia
February 25th, 2006, 08:51 AM
Hello,

I have a 3 year old female pug who has, out of nowhere, become extremely overweight at about 25lbs. She's always been a chubby pug. The AKC breed standard is a max weight of 18lbs, but because of her nature our vet said that she can be a max of 20lbs. Four months ago when she hit that weight, we started feeding her Purina Weight Management and taking her for longer walks, but it obviously hasn't worked! She can't be exercised too heavily because she has a problem with her palette (it's distended, but I can't recall the actual diagnosis) causing her to have a harder time breathing than most other pugs.

I plan on calling my vet today when they open, but until then am wondering if anyone here has any tips/advice on how to get my girl's weight down quickly. Thank you so much!

LavenderRott
February 25th, 2006, 09:39 AM
Purina isn't your best dog food. It has a lot of stuff in it that your dog can't digest. Science Diet isn't any better, but your vet sells it in his office (and makes money off of it) so he will probably recommend it.

If you do a search here, you will find several different dog foods that have better ingredients, that you should be able to find in your area. Yes, most of them cost more then Purina. BUT - the dog's body uses more of the food so, among other benefits, your dog poos less. Also, because all of the food is used, your dog won't eat as much.

When my rottweiler was overweight, I switched to a raw diet, which consisted of green beans. Yes, it had meat and supplements, but the green beans are more relevent here. Replace about 1/2 to 1/3 of your dogs kibble with green beans.

As your dog looses weight, you should be able to walk it a bit more. It doesn't have to be much, but a short walk daily will help.

Prin
February 25th, 2006, 04:20 PM
I agree that the food choice isn't the best. Better to feed less of a high quality food and exercise her more to get her weight down. If you need help finding a better food, let us know.:thumbs up