Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

female kitty headed for the gallows

badger
February 24th, 2006, 02:48 PM
My vet's office just contacted me. Guy called them to say that if he couldn't find a home for his cat by TOMORROW, he wants her euthanized. Girlfriend has 'allergies' (sorry all you truly allergic people out there, but I think the 24-hour deadline is the giveaway here). The cat is a spayed female, black and white, 3 years old.

With my five boys, I don't have room for a grain of rice! May be able to persuade the clinic to keep her over the weekend but that's probably the limit.

Anyone have a cranny for this little girl? I'll see if I can get a picture, he seems to live close by.

PS Later - just talked to the guy - his girlfriend is truly sick, has had cancer, so mea culpa - he has been trying to find a place for the cat and didn't succeed. So...I am going up to take her picture tomorrow morning. Tomorrow is her LAST day. If the euthanasia goes ahead, it will be his girlfriend taking her to the vet, he is too ripped up. He says she is very healthy, affectionate, clean. She has no experience of other cats, he's only ever had the one, so may be a bit of a diva :)

chico2
February 24th, 2006, 05:09 PM
Aww Badger,yet another ultimatum:sad: only really a baby at 3 yrs,the same as Vinnie.
It just breaks your heart,I hope there is someone out there who can help,so she does not have to die,punished for just being a cat:fingerscr

poodletalk
February 24th, 2006, 05:16 PM
Why don't you call Steri-Animal, they are having two adoption days tomorrow. Maybe they will have space.

badger
February 24th, 2006, 06:59 PM
Good idea. Is there public transport to Ile des Soeurs? I'll see her at 11 tomorrow and if her temperament seems OK, she might be a good candidate. Apparently she still needs her 2006 vaccs but has always been an inside cat so I don't know if that's relevant (except for boarding at the vets).

Lucky Rescue
February 24th, 2006, 07:22 PM
Yes, there is public transportation there.

Papineau metro station is temporarily closed on Saturdays, but check out this schedule.
http://www2.stm.info/azimuts/calcul.wcs?lng=a&jour=25%2F02%2F2006&pmarc=o&hdep1=11&hdep2=15&deparr=d&umetro=o&utrain=n&MADITUC=Calculate

I'll say it again - you are a true kitty angel!!

poodletalk
February 24th, 2006, 07:37 PM
Badger, you are more then welcome to come to Nuns Island to talk to the people in charge of Steri-Animal. Hopefully lots of cats will get adopted tomorrow, but I don't know how many cats they have lined up to bring in either. It's best it call first...

badger
February 25th, 2006, 02:33 PM
Well, here is Barbiche (Little Beard). She is very sweet, a bit tubby but with a gorgeous thick coat. Has always lived inside. Loves a game. No other problems. The guy seemed to have a few options on the go, some of them temporary, so the situation is not quite as perilous as it at first seemed. She would probably be fine with a male cat, (not sure about another female but why not). Truth is, as long as it's a serious home where she gets lots of snuggles, she ain't gonna quibble.

badger
February 25th, 2006, 02:36 PM
One more...

LavenderRott
February 25th, 2006, 03:28 PM
Any idea of how she is with dogs?

chico2
February 25th, 2006, 04:45 PM
Badger,she's very pretty and I am hoping she'll be ok:fingerscr
Do you still have the rough looking little black-white guy in your home??
You are to me,one of the unsung heroes in the fight for cats in Montreal:grouphug:

jesse's mommy
February 25th, 2006, 05:14 PM
She's absolutely gorgeous. Can you ship her to Florida? :D

poodletalk
February 25th, 2006, 05:17 PM
Badger, I am sorry I missed your phone call, I was carring cat cages and we had a crowd of people waiting for us to see the cats. Needless to say, it was a great adoption day.

I called the guy back and told him we had a place for his cat, he called me and spoke to the head person of Steri-Animal. He told her, if she didn't take the cat by 4:00 he was going to euthanise it!!

There was no way she could leave the adoption day to pick it up. She told him to board the cat until she can get the foster home arranged. He said FINE, he would take it to his fathers house for couple of days.

jesse's mommy
February 25th, 2006, 05:19 PM
I'm sorry to say, but he doesn't sound very willing to cooperate with people trying to help.

chico2
February 25th, 2006, 05:25 PM
OMG,and he is supposed to love this cat,having her euthanized just like that,threatening and leaving it up to other people to try to save her life,it just makes me sick:evil:
Maybe his"girlfriend"is sick,but he seems in an awful hurry to kill this poor cat:sad: who has done nothing wrong,gosh I admire you rescue people who have to deal with this sort of thing and keep your cool for the animals sake,I would be furious:mad:

Lucky Rescue
February 25th, 2006, 05:33 PM
I admire you rescue people who have to deal with this sort of thing and keep your cool for the animals sake,I would be furious

We are furious, believe me. I would really rather someone say "This cat is a PITA, and if you don't get her out of here, I"ll kill her", than whine about how much they LOVE the animal, but will kill her (sob, sob!) if someone doesn't come and get her immediately.

So...the gf has cancer, or is allergic - or both??

jesse's mommy
February 25th, 2006, 05:44 PM
I thought pets were good to have around during sickness. I thought they were very soothing and generally helped with the healing process.

cpietra16
February 25th, 2006, 09:23 PM
...and they say dogs are unpredictable....I think humans are worse. To get a cat that you love so much....(not) and yet so ready to have killed....never mind. There is nothing unpredictable about it. Humans are a disgrace to nature.

poodletalk
February 26th, 2006, 03:20 PM
Steri-Animal called the guy to tell him the foster home was all arranged.
They already gave the cat away to his father's friend.

badger
February 26th, 2006, 03:47 PM
Well I'm glad to hear it, because I was waiting to hear where Barbiche had washed up. From the way he was speaking, no-one was passionately interested in taking her, but they didn't want her put down. But I'm sure he'll be keeping an eye on the situation, he is quite attached to her.

chico2
February 26th, 2006, 04:38 PM
Badger,you talked to him,I did not,but he got rescuers to hurry to find a life-saver for her,or he would have her killed,so I wonder how much he really cared:sad: anyways,hopefully she ended up with some good people,poor kitty!

Lucky Rescue
February 26th, 2006, 05:35 PM
Thanks for letting us know Poodletalk. I was just about to send her pic and story to our local newspaper. Hope she'll be okay.

CyberKitten
February 28th, 2006, 03:11 AM
Sometimes I am too cynical for my own good but I really hope they did give the kitty to a friend - just hope the friend is a good person!! When you say she has cancer - that in itself is no reason to "get rid of" or issue iltimatums because you have a cat. So I would not be too quick with the mea culpa unless this is a case of she is in a hospice or at home and so forth. But you know. I have had many patients die and those that died at home wanted their cats with them. So, I just find his argument questionable. Allergies or cancer - neither are reasons to rehome a kitty. Even children who have bone marriow transplants (my specialty!) never loose thier cats- they have to be in isolation for awhile and they get to see videos or pix of their cat or talk to them on the phone - we've done all sorts of things. But their cat is there waiting for them when they get home.

Anyway - I really hope the cat has a good home!!

chico2
February 28th, 2006, 08:34 AM
CK,I'm with you,a bit cynical,especially when animals are given to"friends"all of a sudden,but I have to think positive,hoping this kitty now has a good home:sad:

badger
February 28th, 2006, 08:46 AM
You know, when I go into those situations, it's a bit awkward. I don't know these people and really don't need to know, I'm there for the cat. Nevertheless, I feel a little bit like a social worker or some kind of weird missionary, trying to find a solution for this furry child without slamming the parents (at least not out loud).

From what he said, his girlfriend is seriously allergic, she can only go a couple of hours without choking up. Others might look for a better solution - filters, fancy vacuum cleaners, medication -and keep the cat. But maybe he can't afford these things and she can't take medication. And if it's stressful, this is bad news for cancer patients, as we know.

I told him that it was important that the people who agreed to take her were seriously interested, not just bailing him out, and that I would commit to finding her a home if she ended up at the clinic. But one really has no power. And obviously I failed to engage him because he never got back to me on how it all turned out.

If things don't work out with the father's friend, I hope he'll be in touch with rescue again instead of going off the deep end.

chico2
February 28th, 2006, 09:03 AM
Badger,I certainly did not mean to critizise,I am sitting here doing nothing,while you are soldiering on to help all these kitties:angel:
Hopefully everything turned out ok for this little beauty,the fact the owner said to have him killed 4 o'clock last Friday,seemed coldhearted,but then you came along:love:

Lucky Rescue
February 28th, 2006, 10:42 AM
OH gee, BAdger - YOU did nothing wrong and were just trying to help save a cat from killed for no reason!

This is why we generally NEVER deal with people's pets. We have done so, raced around, made arrangements, burned gas, printed flyers etc, only to find out the person gave the animal away without telling us OR that they want it back (if we fostered it).

It's very frustrating, but usually happens that way.

Now we have a surrender contract, and if we can possibly take the animal, the person will have to sign it, agreeing to relinquish all claims to the animal forever.

bgracing
February 28th, 2006, 11:03 AM
Hey,

Where is this Cat Located. I am sure it was already stated, but must have missed it.

Thanks,
Kyle and Jessica

Lucky Rescue
February 28th, 2006, 12:12 PM
The cat is in Montreal, and has been rehomed, but thanks for asking!

badger
February 28th, 2006, 12:25 PM
No offense taken! Everything you say is true, her situation may well be precarious.

Whether we like it or not, saving animals (particularly the small, unsexy ones) is seen by the majority as a strange vocation. The missionary analogy is about right, I think. Few people have the stomach to actually finish off a cat themselves, and yet they have no compunction about having its life ended by a 'professional' for completely frivolous reasons or booting it out into the universe to fend for itself. That is what we're up against. I do think the tide is turning a bit, if only in persuading people to adopt from rescues and to avoid BYBs and pet stores. But for the total *******s (you know who you are), we need better laws.