Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

pounds

t.pettet
February 24th, 2006, 10:35 AM
Does anyone know how I could find out if a certain dog pound sells the strays they take in to laboratories?

t.pettet
February 25th, 2006, 09:55 PM
Anyone? New pound in area and have heard disturbing rumours. Need to check this out, any ideas?

BMDLuver
February 26th, 2006, 06:18 AM
Contact the city and ask what they have set up with this pound with regards to handling of strays after holding period is up. Meaning is it at the pounds discretion to dispose of the dogs or sell the dogs however they see fit or have they set out guidelines? If this pound handles more than one municipality then the directives can be different for each city so you would have to check them all.

t.pettet
February 26th, 2006, 08:20 AM
Thanks BMDLuver, I do know one of the councillors for that municipality and as she's an avid dog lover will get her to check it out. If this pound is selling to labs theres a protest campaign (placards, demonstrations) being initiated by some irrate pet owners who feel that Animal Control who takes all strays to this pound is to blame for all the missing cats in that area, especially the ones who have collars & ID. Will check it out.

Ed U KayShawn
March 10th, 2006, 07:27 PM
Hi you can also retreive the information about the pounds act from the omafra website. (Ontario Ministry and Rural Affairs). They are responsible for inspecting the pounds as well, try and request a routine pound inspection report from the city as well. If you know the councillor try and get them to retrieve the pound inspection report as if they are *testy* and may tell you to apply through the freedom of information act. But the pound act will open you eyes enough to inform you about what is legal --ugh. hope this helps and keep me posted! I have some other suggestions that may help out as well.