Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Can anyone help me type faster

Joey.E.CockersMommy
February 23rd, 2006, 10:18 PM
I am applying for a job at our local paper working in the classified department. I think I have a good chance except for I dont type as fast as the job wants. I can do about 45 words a minute and they want 60. Also I have a hard time typing without mistakes,any ideas on how I can minimise my errors. I really want this job I can walk to work everyday, it would be so much better for me. I could come home at lunch and take Joey for a walk too.

CyberKitten
February 23rd, 2006, 10:27 PM
There is a place online where you can take a typing test - you may be faster than you think. We had the url here once - I was not bad but I make so many errors that I better hang on to my day job, lol

jessi76
February 24th, 2006, 09:09 AM
the only way you're going to get better and faster is, as with anything, PRACTICE - PRACTICE - PRACTICE.

have you ever taken a typing class? keep your fingertips on home-row, and practice.

The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.

(has every letter in the alphabet in it, practice typing it, with fingertips on home-row)

Rick C
February 24th, 2006, 12:17 PM
I agree with the practice, practice, practice thing. In the end, that's where its at.

As an ex-journalist from way, way back, I can say I type a LOT faster when the words are just flowing from head out my fingers versus trying to copy something written on a piece of paper.

Also, coincidentally, Mrs. C was a manager in classifieds for two different daily newspapers for a lot of years . . . . now a full time pet mom.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Joey.E.CockersMommy
February 24th, 2006, 08:09 PM
I basically know how to type. Took it highschool, took in college after highschool and took again about 3 years ago. I have never been very good at it. I type all day at work so I am trying to really pay attention and not make mistakes at all. My work doesnt care really as long as its readable - but at least it will give me practice so I can get a better job. Shhh as far as they know I love my job and plan to stay there forever and ever course.

I also have a typing program it has a spy that monitors all my typing done on the net and on my computer and gives me my errors and speed. Right now I do 45 words per minute but I trying to do it without mistakes or backspacing which I do about every third word. :eek:

Thanks for all the input I will keep practicing.

The quick brown fox jumped oger the lazy dot. thank god for spell check

Prin
February 24th, 2006, 08:18 PM
I've gotten a lot faster at typing since starting to come here.... But then you have to get your posts above 25/day to start to see results.:D :p

SnowDancer
February 25th, 2006, 09:55 AM
I type 120 wpm - strange considering I took typing 3 times a week in 1965 (manual) and except for summer jobs didn't type again until 1981 at which time I rented an IBM Selectric and bought a book of typing drills. I sat there and did those drills and would not give up until I had typed each drill 3 times without errors. Did this for 2 weeks - the length of time of the typewriter rental. I went to a temp office and was "clocked" at 80 wpm - they were impressed, I was shocked. Then I moved on to computers which definitely help with speed. For the life of me I cannot understand how the requirement to pass typing in commercial high schools on a computer is less than it was on a manual - I know, I called the a high school a few years ago when trying to hire someone. I type equally fast from my head as from copy. Another thing you could try is always have a spare keyboard on hand say when you are watching TV and just keep running your hands over the correct keys, this will help build speed. Also do not rely on the spell checker - it is good as a final proof, but you cannot accurately spell check a document by eyeballing it on a computer screen. Also it does help if you are a good speller. My husband who is 57 took typing when he was in grades 9 and 10 - attended a Catholic boys' school run by the Brothers who thought every boy should know how to type - very forward thinking for the time. He did not type again until 1990. I had him follow my same procedure, although this time he had a computer - and I still had the same drill book. He fortunately remembered the keys - like riding a bicycle - if they had ever gone with the new fangled keyboard with keys in different order, we would all be toast. He started off doing drills - fighting me all the way - but I won out and so did he in the end. He then used time sitting in car if I was driving to hammer at keyboard etc. At first he could only copy type, but know types from head - probably about 75 wpm. The big thing is concentration - but you absolutely have to get those fingers moving and hitting the right keys. I know where I have problems and keys I hit to fast in sequence so that one won't take - always the same words it would seem. So it that keyboard. It works.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
February 25th, 2006, 06:51 PM
Wow thats impressive 120 words per minute - My goal is to do 60 in the next couple of days, I have to type all day at work so I am trying really hard to be accurate. I also have a typing program that monitors my typing and my accuracy. I still seem to make mistakes but I am working on it. The spare keyboard idea is a great idea. I know if I get an interview for this position I will have to take a typing test and of course I will be nervous too.

I found I type faster if I type each individual letter instead of the whole word.
Like say instead of typing "My name is Joeys' Mommy in my head I would say M-y n-a-m-e i-s J-o-e-y-s ' ..........so I am focusing on hitting the key and not just typing a word.

I can do 50 wpm but with mistakes so I am really working on it as much as I can. Thanks for the advice

t.pettet
February 25th, 2006, 09:41 PM
My typing instructor used to make our class wear blind-folds. She's place our fingers on the start-up keys and time us for 2 minutes using a dictaphone, it was hilarious what I'd spell out in the first attempts, but it really made you aware of where all the letters of the alphabet were and from there could develop the speed.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
February 25th, 2006, 10:33 PM
thats a good idea - our typing teacher when I got my administrative assistant diploma used to make us turn off our monitors. Lets see I will try it now.

Okay how am I doing have aI made any mitakes yet see its no problem at all. I can do this see no mitakes at all piece of cake . Okay I will turn back on my monitor now to see how I did.

oh this is hard! :eek:

does anyone else want to try it.

raingirl
February 27th, 2006, 08:39 PM
typing is all about hand eye co-ordination. Once you can do it without looking, you can get fast. I can type about 90 words a minute without mistakes....except now with my cut thumb.

To improve your hand eye co-ordination, play some video games with your kids!!