Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hi! My yorkie is biting off his hair.

tannyd68
February 23rd, 2006, 06:34 PM
Hello, my name is Tanya and I have a 3 year old adopted yorkie. His previous owners told me that he had an allergy to his food causing him to bite his hair on his back legs, rib cage and a little on his front legs. It is an equal amount on either side of his body. He has had some tests done by a vet for parasites and he said it must be his food. I found a food that seemed to work at first, but when the late fall came around he started to bite again. The groomer thinks it is his thyroid. If it is what is the treatment or can it just be something else, perhaps seasonal? Any input would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance , Tanya

wdawson
February 23rd, 2006, 06:52 PM
go back to the vet and have a test too see if the thyroid is over or under active.....is the dog gaining weight or losing.......i think gaining weight means over active........but a trip to the vet is in order.

CyberKitten
February 23rd, 2006, 09:46 PM
I too would return to the vet or find another one. It can also be stress- dogs or cats will loose hair over stress as well. But I am not a vet and that is what your dog needs!