Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Black Lab's Skin Tag Swelled and burst

Koey
November 15th, 2003, 10:15 PM
Hi, my black lab is about 14 years old, and has a skin tag hanging on her behind for a year or so, the vet said it was harmless, and not to worry. Well, it's never done anything, and has never hurt her, then today it looked like this: see attached pic -
It wasn't like this this morning, and she is a butt dragger, so I'm wondering if she irritated it and it swelled up like this. It's about the size of a nickel in the picture. It still doesn't seem to bother her at all, and it's just hanging by the tiniest bit of skin. But it appears to be bursting out of the skin. Before anyone asks, we don't have any emergency vets around here, we're pretty rural. Just wondered if anyone any suggestions till I can get her to the vet. Thanks! Koreena

Carina
November 16th, 2003, 06:32 AM
Ouch, that looks uncomfortable!
I wouldn't mess with it...and if possible keep her from dragging her rear end (she may be doing that because it irritates her) and keep it from getting dirty.
I would for sure have it looked at when your regular vet opens, it could be a localised cancer & probably pretty easy to remove. My very old dog (recently passed on) had a cancerous growth on the underside of her tongue; the vet was able to cut it off with a local injection.
Good luck!

Luba
November 16th, 2003, 09:16 AM
That doesn't even look like a skin tag to me!
Unless it got infected from a scratch.

Go to another vet dear, this looks horribly painful to poochie!

Let us know what happens.

Luba

HeatherOlogy
November 17th, 2003, 10:03 PM
Not sure if this would help but Our momma cat has 4 week old kittens and recently her uterus began to pop out of her and it looked ALOT like that...it can be caused from childbirth but not only that, it can be caused from any straining she may be doing. Bladder infections cause them to strain alot of the times. Check for fever.