Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pitbull ress.

Watchdog
February 23rd, 2006, 09:45 AM
The staffordshire bull terrier originated from a cross of an old english terrier and a british bulldog.Since niether of these two dogs are on the banned list then the puppies produced from the result of crossing the two dogs are legal. Starting over right from scratch may be the answer here but since all pitbull type dogs originated from the staffordshire bull terrier in the first place then all existing pitbulls should be legal as well.

StaceyB
February 23rd, 2006, 09:59 AM
Unfortunately anything that looks like one is also banned. It doesn't seem to matter if there was any pit at all. If you have noticed, boxer crosses resemble a pit so they to are banned unless you can prove their breeds. None of this is fair and should never have been done but we all know how that happened. Pray that the case is won and the law reversed.

Watchdog
February 23rd, 2006, 10:19 AM
If you have 2 dogs with papers to prove their breed and these dogs are not banned breeds and they have a litter of puppies how can the puppies be illegal if the parents are legal and you can prove it?

StaceyB
February 23rd, 2006, 10:35 AM
This is the problem with the law. It is not as simple as saying that if you bred this breed to that you would be left with another. If it were to happen I would have them categorized by those who have been put in place for breed recognition when the pups are still with mom but because they are not able to be registered it is still your word as to who the father is. I guess you could do a dna test but they are very costly.

Watchdog
February 23rd, 2006, 12:13 PM
I guess you could video tape the dogs having sex with each other and title the movie "your taxdollars at work"

babyrocky1
February 23rd, 2006, 03:29 PM
Theoretically it sounds like it might work, even if one had to go to the extreme of the DNA test, to prove the partentage, it might be worth it just to show another reason why this ban is so ludicrous! Its kind a out there, but thats why I like it, so would you rename this "new breed" I guess youd have too. :crazy: Definately thinking out of the box Watch Dog LOL:crazy:

babyrocky1
February 23rd, 2006, 03:33 PM
The staffordshire bull terrier originated from a cross of an old english terrier and a british bulldog.Since niether of these two dogs are on the banned list then the puppies produced from the result of crossing the two dogs are legal. l. Does the old english terrier still exist? I thought I read that one of the two dogs that were used to create the staffy bull are now either extinct or just very different from the modern version, actually I think it was the bull dog that was hanging out in the old days, I think that one was different? Anyone know the answer?

twodogsandacat
February 23rd, 2006, 06:52 PM
I could take any two legal dogs and produce offspring that looks like a pit bull. That's legal as long as I can prove it.

Any dog where the parentage canít be proven which looks like a pit bull is at risk. Given the current world in which we live where there are so many irresponsible people who allow dogs to breed in an uncontrolled manner it would simply mean the needless deaths of many innocent animals.

If you really want a dog that looks like a pit bull you'd better breed it on film, have DNA from both dogs and have a notary sign that he witnessed the conception and the birth.

Still for those that love pit bulls I think it's more than just the 'look' they want.

Melinda
February 23rd, 2006, 07:11 PM
and there lies the problem, all dogs dna's are the same, no matter the breed.

twodogsandacat
February 23rd, 2006, 07:43 PM
and there lies the problem, all dogs dna's are the same, no matter the breed.

Yes it is. It can only be used to prove to a level of certainty that dog A. and dog B. produced dog C. It can not be used to prove that Dog C. is a certain breed. So it is far to complicated to breed and maintain records on such a ‘new’ breed without putting many dogs at risk.

Also a dog that looks 'like a duck' is not the same as a dog that acts 'like a duck'.

Invicta
February 23rd, 2006, 10:22 PM
It was a "Black and Tan Terrier" that was originally crossed with a Bulldog to create the Staffordshire Bull Terrier. The Black and Tan is now extinct.

Watchdog
February 24th, 2006, 03:00 AM
Thats too bad that those old terriers are all gone.They must have been great dogs if by crossing them with a bulldog produced the staffy.There are lots of crossbreed dogs out there like snoodles,golden doodles and the rest of them but no other cross has ever come close to the magnificence and magic that happened with the creation of the staffy family.