Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How do i get her to take the treat "EASY"

jeannie00
February 22nd, 2006, 09:17 PM
Valentine has been doing sooooo awesome with housebreaking. Weve had her a week and a half and still NO ACCIDENTS yet. NONE!!! Shes been doing so awesome. Ive been command training her. She has got sit and shake down pat, but the only problem im having with her, is after she does the command i reward her with a dog treat, and she snaps it outta my hand hard and bites me very hard. She doesnt mean to but, how do i get her to take it gently. I give her the treat and tell her easy and keep taking it away from her face and keep saying easy but she keeps snapping for it, and biting my hand when i give it to her. How do i get her to be gentle??????

Lucky Rescue
February 22nd, 2006, 09:52 PM
When I got my dog, she would take treats like a barracuda.:p I can tell you how I got her to be polite.

but she keeps snapping for it, and biting my hand when i give it to her.
IF you give her a treat after she bites you, you're rewarding her for that and she'll never learn.

I would have my dog sit and offer her a treat in my open palm and not holding it between my fingers. If she lunged, I quickly closed my fingers over it and said "Nice!" It only took a few times for her to learn that lunging got her nothing, and being polite got her a treat.

But she was 2 years old, so it could take awhile longer for your pup to learn.

Prin
February 23rd, 2006, 01:35 AM
What I do, and I'm a glutton for punishment, is I take a cookie and hold it in my hand so that 90% of the cookie is in my hand and 10% sticks out. Then I say "easy" and offer the cookie. If the dog grabs my hand, I say "Ow, no! Easy!" (hopefully your dog knows "ow" already...). That way, they can never accidentally get the cookie. But it can hurt... :o Some dogs have a really hard time with it though. Jemma is a teethy dog, and even when she is being easy, she still takes the cookie with her teeth only- just really slowly.:D

jesse's mommy
February 23rd, 2006, 05:13 AM
I used Cheerios with Jesse. Normally we don't give her people food, but Cheerios have been wonderful in training her. It's a "treat" for her so she gets excited, but it's so small that she has to focus on what she is taking. She's so gentle now taking food because she does not want to nip at your hand and she really watches when you give her something. I eventually put the Cheerio in my mouth and had her take it from there! It's the only "people food" luxury she has.

phoenix
February 23rd, 2006, 07:29 AM
I taught my dogs the way that Prin described. WIth most of the treat in my hand,I make them lick first, then I let go. I say "gentle", too. Sometimes they do bite but it's a puppy right? So then I say "OW! no, gentle! When they lick, I open my hand.
Good luck with your training!

tenderfoot
February 23rd, 2006, 11:09 PM
We hide the treat in our hands too - none showing but they know its there. When they lick your hand then slowly open it and say 'good- easy' as they gently take it from you. If they lunge then you say no, and start again.