Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat using bathtub as litter box

luvmypaps
February 22nd, 2006, 05:01 PM
Hello
Our 10 year old just recently started using the bathtub as a litterbox she only has bowel movements in there so far. I took her to the Vet and the only thing he could find wrong with her was that her anal sacs were full,he cleaned them out and she was good for 2 days and now she is using the tub again. Does any one have any thoughts on why she is doing this?

Thanks

Shim
February 23rd, 2006, 09:04 AM
My cat did this for a while. It was usually because his litterbox was full, or there was a new person/animal that made him unhappy. (although I've found with my cats that if they don't like a person, then clothes, rugs, or even the person are usually the target. When it's bedding - it's been medical problems) They do this in the bath tub so they can make a point without being too destructive - they want to compromise. Try to figure out what's changed recently for kitty... then figure out how to make it easier on him. Give him extra love and attention. He's asking for it :)

Hope this helps!

Amelia :pawprint:
Cats: Shim, Lock, Norbert
Ferret: Loki

luvmypaps
February 23rd, 2006, 04:15 PM
Hello

The cat box is definitely clean I scoop it twice a day. The thing that has changed is that about a month ago one of our cats died, they hated each other but still they always slept in the same room. We still have a second cat so she does have company, how do we deal with the loss of the cat for her?

Dimitra
February 24th, 2006, 09:22 AM
HI there,
It sounds like you did the right thing to get the cat checked by a vet. It's been my experience that when cats do their business outside the litter box, there is often something medical going on. If you're sure that's not it, it may be the loss of the other cat. Even if they don't get a long, the cat may still mourn.
Unfortunately there is not real "grief therapy" for animals, but I would say just give your ktty lots of love and attention. You can never go wrong with that.
I had a dog who lost his brother when they were both quite old. It took the surviving dog many months to get out of his depression, but he did pull out of it. And they didn't get along well at all, lots of rivalry and competition for my mothers affection, and later for mine (when I inherited them). It may just take time.
But do keep an eye on the health issue, just in case. It seems a bit of a coincidence that the vet did find something...
:pawprint: