Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Re: Honey for adoption

Luba
November 15th, 2003, 02:41 PM
THEY LIED!

I had threads posted in the adoption section, but thought this warranted a general discussion group as well. Just to keep folks up on what others will do and how they'd lie! Important if you are trying to find a home for a dog or know someone that is.

Here is the story, Honey a pointer pup I rescued was to be adopted today by a family who told me they had a 5ft secure fence. They have another dog and the dogs got along well.

People seemed nice enough but this is what happened this morning:

RE: HONEY"S ADOPTION

DID NOT WORK OUT TODAY

The applicant adopting her lied to me. When we got to her home, what she said was five foot fenced yard was three feet. HOWEVER we thought to let HONEY play with her dog.
Before I LET HONEY in the backyard I asked numerous times is there ANYWHERE that HONEY can escape from? any holes in the yard/fence anything. She said absolutely NOT!! After asking her 4 times I decided to let Honey play with her dog in the yard. Well within one minute Honey found a way out and it was a BIG ONE!! The owner KNEW this was there, a big gap in the corner where fencing met enough for an adult go through if they turn sideways.

SO HONEY TOOK OFF!! YUP IN A STRANGE NEIGHBOURHOOD AND EVERYTHING!!!

Eventually she was caught about an hour later.

Needless to say we did not leave her there!!

SHOWS you how careful you have to be, not trust anyone!!

Her fence was definitely 3 feet and not all of it was fenced, there were 'megshift' things put up here and there. I was very disappointed but upset that I was lied to.

Honey is back with us safe and sound!

Luba

Lucky Rescue
November 15th, 2003, 03:23 PM
Ugh! So sorry to hear about this - very disappointing.

Yup - one thing we have found is that people LIE all the time. They lie about why they are giving their pets up and they lie when they are trying to adopt one.

Even when you take every possible precaution, there is no way to be 100% sure.

I'm just glad you got Honey back unhurt. I'm sure the the perfect home for her is out there!

Luba - do you use an adoption contract? If you don't have one, I would be happy to send you ours. You can tailor it to fit yourself.:)

Luba
November 15th, 2003, 04:45 PM
HI LR

Yes I have a really good adoption contract that I devised
PLUS I had them fill out an application before that even, and in the application they lied!! Which I found out about when I went to their home.

IT was NOTHING like what they said!!

Their dog even hopped the fence chasing after Honey but couldn't catch her. I am so very happy we caught her unharmed.

PEOPLE!! WOOF!!

Didn't she think I was going to look in her yard?DUH!
Then she gets upset with me saying Honey taking off was 'nobody's fault and that I am disappointing her by not letting the dog stay as she can go to Home Depot and patch the fence.

BUT she couldn't spring a 3 foot into a 5 foot fence now could she! Oh well, I blew my steam off.

I'm glad it happened this way though, because it shows her character to lie like that, she doesn't deserve the dog. IT was NO BIG DEAL to her that the dog got away.

Oh well!

Luba