Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Older cat pooping everywhere except litter box.

apple_sour
November 15th, 2003, 02:41 AM
i have a cat that is about 13 years old. just in recent months he has decided the front room floor is a better place to deficate than his box. i also have two other cats, both of which use the boxes...with two boxes for all three... also, he has lived with the two other cats for many years.

i've even changed his diet.

i began cleaning the boxes two-three times a day and he stopped going in the front room...but just recently he has began again even after cleaning the boxes three times a day.

i really love the old guy and getting rid of him or putting to sleep are absolutely out of the question.

my dad's having a fit and i need advice, please!

thanks!

Lucky Rescue
November 15th, 2003, 08:59 AM
Any sudden changes in behavior, especially in older cats, could be caused by a medical problem. He should see a vet just to make sure nothing physical is going on.

Avoidance of the litter box is often a sign of discomfort.

Jocelyn
November 15th, 2003, 02:15 PM
How exactly did you change his diet? A side from him trying to tell you that he is sick, it can also be the diet change. He may not like the change or it's not sitting too well with him.
You should have him examined by a vet and hope it is not something serious, like internally. Older cats tend to develop liver and kidney problems in their old age, have tests done to deterine that it's not a health issue. If it is a behavourial problem, it can be fixed with determination and patience.

Another outside the litterbox habit could be because the type of litter has been changed or a new visitor has come into the household. Try to think of how long it's been going on, when exactly it started and if there was any change what so ever that happened around the time he started to do this.
Some cats will behave this way out of spite, if they do not like change. Others have no other way of letting you know something is wrong with them so they try to do things you will notice.
Try to find out which one it is before you do something you will regret like scolding or having him put down.

Good luck. I hope he becomes well soon.

Lucky Rescue
November 15th, 2003, 04:30 PM
Very good advice, Jocelyn, except for this:
Some cats will behave this way out of spite, if they do not like change

It may seem to us like spite, but when cats start avoiding the litterbox there is always a reason. We just need to find out what it is.

apple_sour
November 15th, 2003, 08:07 PM
thanks everyone for your advice!

as to the changes in his diet:
i used to feed my cats canned food each day until the oldest (the cat these posts are about) one began to have diarrhea. i took him to the vet where i was told he had ibs (irratated bowel syn.) and that a change to a dry food such as iams would work best. as of lately he has mostly been eating iam adult formula for cats 1yrs plus. but i think i am going to begin feeding him something specially made for older cats.

and again, thanks so much for the advice! i've had this old cat since i was in the third grade and he's a friend, so to see so many replies to my post really does my heart good! thanks!