Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Funny wedding ideas...

Prin
February 21st, 2006, 10:48 PM
We were watching the Olympics (is there anything else on tv?!?!) and the curling was on and it got us thinking. What about a curling wedding? :D We have very competitive, show-offy family members and they would totally be out of their element. It would be so ridiculous and everybody would suck. :D So mayyyybe we'd have fun. (We're not getting married for at least a few years though).

Anybody think of any funny/whacky/different ideas for weddings?:crazy:

glasslass
February 21st, 2006, 10:56 PM
My hubby was just mentioning "curling". He says he keeps hearing the term but neither of us know what it is???:confused:

Prin
February 21st, 2006, 11:04 PM
Really? You don't know what curling is?

Prin
February 21st, 2006, 11:08 PM
Go here: http://www.curling.ca/learn_to_curl/how_to_curl/flash.asp and click on the "launch flash animation" and there'll be a little pop up with explanations about the equipment and the shots used in the game. ("The basics" goes through the game explaining everything). It's fun...:o Somebody once told me that 90% of Canadians will curl at least once in their lifetime. It's a great sport- any aged person can do it.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
February 22nd, 2006, 12:16 AM
Friends of ours got married in Vancouver. The wedding procession actually rode their bikes along Jericho beach to the the place they were getting married. Everyone followed them in their cars. The bride was in her wedding dress and the groom in a tux and a giant top hat. They then read passages from Dr. Suess. My son fit it in really well at that wedding, playing his Elmo guitar. :D

glasslass
February 22nd, 2006, 12:19 AM
The link isn't working for me. I get a menu but nothing comes up when I click on anything.

CyberKitten
February 22nd, 2006, 06:39 AM
Curling is the only sport I ever played in high school - we were competitive too - so I love it since even "I" can play it - you can be at the Olympic level and also just play for fun. More ppl play curling in Canada than any other sport, even hockey!!! http://www.curling.ca and this are online curling gamea if you want to try your hand at it. <g> http://www.mousebreaker.com/games/virtualcurling/play.php http://www.play-free-games.com/free-games/curling/curling.shtml

Prin
February 22nd, 2006, 11:52 AM
The link isn't working for me. I get a menu but nothing comes up when I click on anything.
Really? In the middle of the screen, you don't see a "Launch Flash Animation"? Maybe you don't have flash?

Basically, it's a sport where you slide 40lb rocks down a long strip of ice, trying to get as close to the middle of the target at the end as possible. It's very unexpectedly fun.:D

JECM, that sounds like a whacky wedding. Nobody was insulted by the light-hearted nature of it?

jesse's mommy
February 22nd, 2006, 02:01 PM
I've always said that if we had a wedding I would have an Elvis impersonator at the reception! Unfortunately, we've decided that when we get married we will be flying to an island and get married on a beach. I love that idea, but secretly I want ELVIS!!! Our families are way to different and I know it's impossible to have a wedding. I seriously think if I had to plan a wedding for our families, I would either become an alcoholic, end up in an insane asylum, die of an ulcer, or end up in jail for murder. :evil: There is no way I could manage that stress. :eek:

Prin
February 22nd, 2006, 02:02 PM
LOL that's why you have to do something that nobody would be happy with.:D

jesse's mommy
February 22nd, 2006, 02:21 PM
You see the problem is, my family is normal and would have a blast at our wedding. His family is not normal and would not enjoy "the party" atmosphere. It would be difficult because alcohol is a necessity for my family and for his family it's unacceptable. I just don't have the patience or energy to deal with those kinds of things, even if it means I don't get an Elvis impersonator. :sad:

But then, I could get married by Elvis in Vegas! :D

jiorji
February 22nd, 2006, 07:55 PM
:rolleyes: Really? You don't know what curling is?

hehe look at her location Prin.

I don't think anyone outside Canada knows what curling is.Mind you...I know and i sometimes wonder if it should be considered a sport..:o hehe

Do you get the Life Network? It's on cable...when I used to live at my parents i used to watch this show called "weird weddings" that was playing on that channel. That channel plays reality shows 24/7

CyberKitten
February 22nd, 2006, 11:41 PM
C'mon, you can't be serious. Did you know that 10% of Canadians curl - that is ALOT of people in our country, much more than even hockey, organized or otherwise so I would say you are outvoted, lol Almost every small community in this country has a curling rink.

I do think there may well be a rural-urban divide tho - with the exception of say Halifax which has a well known curling rink. It even played a part in the Titanic - the original Mayflower Rink was the morgue (grueseome I know but history nonetheless) where the victims of the Titanic were brought by the MacKay Bennett (pronounced MAC EEE Bennett) so that they could be IDed and sent to their loved ones or buried in the various cemereries around the city.

Montreal must have a rink or 2 or 3 tho????

Curling rinks are to mant rural areas what golf clubs are in the summer and often - in very small communities - the ywo clubs are operated in the same geberal area. But a curling club is unique. It is a very social game and in the Scottish tradition, the loser has to buy the winner a drink.

Curling was invented in Scotland and given the many Scottish settlers in the 17th and 18th centuries, of course they established curling rinks to get thru the harsh winters - just as they had done in Scotland. After all, 3 of our first 4 Prime Ministers were born in Scotland - as was our "Greatest Canadian".

So it really should not be surprising this game is so integral to Canada. And it is DEFINITELY a sprt - anyone who have never lifyed a 40 lb stone and strategically figured out how to get rid of an opponents' stones and made some masterful plays - like Sandra Shumerler's (sp?) incredible shot in the Nagano Olympics cannot say that it is not a sport. It is much more difficult than golf and involves more complicated strategy than even baseball (which I love and love watching the machinations and signs amg the players - my brother being a baseball player). I can easily figure out baseball - curling I need ti take my time and acertain how to get a stone around one blocking one of mine in the house.

Oh, it's a sport al right!!

Prin
February 23rd, 2006, 12:12 AM
Curling is definitely a sport. Between launching the rock, sweeping and being precise, it definitely has elements to get the heart pumping. That body position when they launch the rock is really hard. I always ended up spinning on my back... Oh the bruises! :D It's more of a strategy game, but it's definitely hard to play. You don't know how hard and fun it is till you've tried it. Not as sporty as others, but definitely more sporty than bowling or car racing. :)

Montreal has probably over a dozen curling clubs. A lot of them are run by their members (volunteers). Curlers are certainly dedicated to their sport. I looked into it and it would be about $600 to rent 3 lanes for 4 hours. Not too bad. :thumbs up

Nah, I don't get any good channels. :o Sometimes you have to choose between time shifting and variety... And I chose time shifting.:rolleyes:

glasslass
February 23rd, 2006, 12:55 AM
OK! Our local newspaper had an article about curling on the front page this morning. I guess it's something non-existant in California.
Prin, I bet you could find an Elvis that'd perform on that beach. I went to a large beer tent in Bavaria once. Up til midnight, it was very traditional, touristy, omm-pah-pah music. At midnight, the tourist buses pulled out, the lit-up disco sign was turned on, and the local people had a great time dancing on the tables and waving panties in the air. Maybe, you could get his family to leave your wedding at midnight and then . . . . those that stayed could party hearty! Just a thought:evil:

Stacer
February 26th, 2006, 07:31 PM
This past summer at our wedding my Mom's cousin (who is an Elvis impersonator and avid karaoke performer) serenaded my new hubby and I. He sang Elvis' Blue Hawaii and even put leis (sp?) around our necks at the end of his performance, it was a riot.

joeysmama
February 26th, 2006, 08:15 PM
My nephew had a very small wedding on the dock on Halloween. It was just immediate family and everyone was in costume. The groom was a vampire and the bride was an angel.

I don't know what the traditions are everywhere else but here they vary a lot from region to region. It's not uncommon in other parts of the country to have smaller weddings, but in NJ they have gotten to be pretty elaborate affairs so an intimate wedding is really refreshing.

I wish I could have a do-over. I think my wedding was very nice but if I could do it again I would have a different guest list and I would enjoy myself a lot more !

Prin
February 26th, 2006, 09:14 PM
Can't you renew your vows? :)

The hallowe'en one sounds like a blast... I don't know about elvis though. Jesse's mommy would like that one better than I would...:D