Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

CUPE and Us

seeker
February 21st, 2006, 05:54 PM
Wether you agree in principle with the possible strike one thing is for sure CUPE members now know how it feels to be ignored by the provincial Liberals . We all experienced this about a year ago when the final reading of bill 132 took place .
As more and more of us in the province experience this "bulldozer" approach to law making I hope that nobody forgets how our words have fallen on deaf ears during the recent political term, once oct 2007 arrives.

babyrocky1
February 21st, 2006, 06:04 PM
I havent been keepng up with this during the last few days but it seems that Dalton is up to his old tricks, he is "pitting" the police and fire, against CUPE which isnt, from my understanding of it, at issue. From my understanding CUPE has no problem with Fire and Police recieving extra benefits but they would like to retain the right to negotiate better benefits for themselves at some time in the future when it might be more affordabable. In other words when the city isn't broke, should that ever happen. S0 they are fighting for their right to negotiate! Thats what I have gathered from it all, and if thats the case, they have every right to do what theyre doing, Wild cat strikes happen when there is an extreme situation and losing the right to negotiate sounds extreme to me, in a "democracy"????Oh but in the governments defence, they held one of their famous "democratic committee hearings" to deal with the matter so who could find fault with them???:rolleyes:

wdawson
February 21st, 2006, 06:11 PM
when they strike do we get a muzzle free day:D

CyberKitten
February 21st, 2006, 06:24 PM
For those of us not from Ontario, what is Bill 132?

seeker
February 21st, 2006, 07:29 PM
For those of us not from Ontario, what is Bill 132?

It is the law that brought in breed specific legislation that banned pitbulls and included a total of 5 "breeds" that look like pitbulls . We are allowed to keep our dogs but none can be brought into the province even by travelers on vacation . There is much more to it and once it is shown not to solve the dogbite problem it is feared other breeds will be included .
Oct 2007 is the next election date when our voices that were ignored during the onesided debate leading up to the passing of the bill , will be heard .

Luvmypit
February 23rd, 2006, 12:45 PM
Ever so often I send a letter to Michael Bryant saying...

I can't wait till 2007 can you?
Love
Capone the Pit bull and Colleen the voter

babyrocky1
February 23rd, 2006, 02:08 PM
I like that Luvmypit! I wouldnt trust that he gets it though, his staff probably filters anything like that just as a matter of routine. Maybe we should pick a day and hand deliver them LOL :evil:

Luvmypit
February 23rd, 2006, 04:04 PM
Welll come 2007 when the election is coming we will be mobilizing emails, letters, calls ect... to any and all politicians in the running or who have a say.

We did it when this ban started and we should do it again. A massive letter writing campaign is always needed. We should start it even 6 months before, collecting signatures, or collecting letters. Ask your friends to write a letter, collect them and we can submit them by hand one day close to the election.

They more then ever need to be reminded especially before campaigning that we did not forget nor will we. I guarentee we will get the support of one or both parties (NDP/Conservatives). Or (this is wishful thinking) the liberals will realize that they can lose a lot of votes this way and recind this peice of crap legislation.

Can I get a here here!!

CyberKitten
February 23rd, 2006, 04:16 PM
I did hear on the news that the strike was averted but it was in passing and I did not get the entire newscast - something about pension plans. So the strike has nothing to do with Bill 132? Or does it? Why are you discussing the 2 in the same thread - guess I am easily confused, lol You think CUPE is equal to the oppoenents of Bill 132?

I am not from Ontario so you can ignore my comments - I don't support the breed ban tho and fought to make sure it did not occur in NB (and it did not) - it wentr as far as a legislative cmmittee thx to a Liberal (of course!) backbencher - one who aspires to higher office and is ambitious and after the intro of your legislation, he saw this as a potential "issue" for him to use to gain exposure for himself. (Mind you, he is one of these fellows who never met a microphone he did not like - kind of a a Lib Buzz Hargrove) but the bill never made it out of committee thanks to a varety of elements, not the least of which is an opposition member intorduced it but significantly because even in the face of very strong emotions after the very tragic death of a toddler who was mauled to death by 3 dogs (Even the ER people and I have talked to some of them needed counselling after trying to save the little guy!) there were very resoned and rational presentations by vets, the SPCA and many individuals who pointed out the obvious - the bas owners - not bad dogs argument, the fact that even dogs like labs can bite and children and dogs always need supervision and so forth.

But I guess I'd have to say as someone who has fought political wars and survived- even won most of the rounds, lol - that CUPE is on a while different plane than say even the vets association, the SPCA or any and all of those groups and pet owers put together. I think pet owners (I hate the word owners but alas that is the legal term) could if they organizaed and work together but that is not currently the case. CUPE - even in Ontario - has the support of its national office in Ottawa and thus much more political musle and lots of money!!! They could have brought the govt to its knees but as it stands now, that will not occur wuith the many and varied aninal and rescue groups out there. IF there was some sort of federation - and if they came together and co-ordinated plans and tactics (as happaned in NB for that one issue), - there might be some comparison with CUPE but currently, that is nowhere near the situation. CUPE has paid organizers and people to do lots of leg work and the help of other labour organizations. Do the anti BSL groups? I think the solution lies in some sort of common cause federation or coaltion, whatever one wants to term it. And to defeat the govt will also take alot more - just look at the polls that are done now. There needs to be positive ads running about pitties (another thing we did in NB but if you pool resources, you can find the $$$) - an ad questioning how a govt put so many resources in banning a dog breed while allowing children to be murdered by guns! That kind of thing. I am not from Ont so I do not all your issues but I am sure you could think of some great ads at election time. And if I were in your shoes, I would especially target the seat held by Mr. Bryant - that worked extremely well for those against Doug Young and his policies in the federal election of 2000. Even tho many did not care who won, they did not want him to win and the result was the election of NDP MP Yvon Godin in Acadie Vathurst who continues to hold that seat, But money poured into that riding during that 1st election from labour unions and orgs across the country. (You can't do that Ont Elections law - Young was defeated in a federal election). BUT, you can target the riding and donate money to one politocal opponent (the one who supports your position) in his riding. If money is iven to sveral of his opposition, it will be just split and Bryant might still manage to win,.

Anyway - just my thoughts. I just knew the law as anti-BSL and ot its actual number. Thx for that info.

twodogsandacat
February 23rd, 2006, 05:40 PM
The strike has been averted but I venture to say that there are more sanitation engineers, janitors, health care workers, nurses’ aides, city workers that will not be getting any additional benefits than there are fire fighters and police who will. The municipalities say they can’t afford this. One Mayor said that this will be ‘more costly’ than the entire Harris downloading of the previous government.

My brother is a cop and I love him but it seems that the McGuinty government has downloaded a huge burden to the municipalities that will take money out of the pockets of many taxpayers and the pension plan will tick off a large number of CUPE employees. Add this to the additional burden the McGuinty government has placed on the municipalities and they are going to raise your taxes again.

The “I will not raise your taxes” promise was made by McGuinty yet we are paying the highest taxes an Ontario citizen has ever had to pay. I don’t care if the provincial government or the municipality taxes me…taxes are up.

seeker
February 23rd, 2006, 07:10 PM
The “I will not raise your taxes” promise was made by McGuinty yet we are paying the highest taxes an Ontario citizen has ever had to pay. I don’t care if the provincial government or the municipality taxes me…taxes are up.

The I will not raise your taxes became "I will not raise your taxes but I will force the municipalities to do that and I will take away services you get now .Like chiropractors eye exams etc .
"You will not pay a penny more under a Liberal government" was another promise , that should have been " you will pay lots of dollars more so you will never notice the pennies".

babyrocky1
February 23rd, 2006, 07:15 PM
To answer Cyber Kittens question, what has CUPE got to do with BSL? on the surface, nothing, but we have often had discussions on the BSL thread about the Mcquinty governments behaviour in other areas of thier mandate and I beleive that the more knowledge we all have about the gov in general the more amunition we will have come election time. You are quite correct in pointing out that whether or not we will be successful politically in our anti BSL stance depends greatly on public opinion, and since we have an uphill battle with the media in this respect, we will have to discredit these Fibs on issues other than "pit bulls" thus we discuss there activities on a wide variety of issues. Its also interesting to see that there anti democratic style of governing crosses over to many other situations and we need to point that out to the public at large, especially come 2007 in St Pauls, (Bryants riding)

twodogsandacat
February 23rd, 2006, 07:27 PM
we need to point that out to the public at large, especially come 2007 in St Pauls, (Bryants riding)

I will be spending so many weekends in that riding that the 'man on the street' will swear that I live in the riding. I will be a 'trendy' Torontoian. Starbucks here I come.

pitbulliest
February 25th, 2006, 12:40 PM
I will be spending so many weekends in that riding that the 'man on the street' will swear that I live in the riding. I will be a 'trendy' Torontoian. Starbucks here I come.

Where is St.Paul's? OOOh Oooh..I WANT TO JOIN I WANT TO JOIN! *digs around for coffee change*

babyrocky1
February 25th, 2006, 04:39 PM
Dont worry Vi, St. Pauls is the next riding over from me, the Pit Bull Co-op can hold all of its meetings there for a few months in 2007!;) :evil: