Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Goldhawk Live?

babyrocky1
February 21st, 2006, 06:44 PM
I was channel surfing the other night and happened apon an interview with John Tory, leader of the provincial conservative party, anyways during the call in portion someone named Sonny called and asked what he, if elected, would do about the "pit bull ban" and he said he would get rid of it and instead target irresponsible dog owners. He looked a little nervous but said all the right things. Sonny then said something like now that you have said that on air, you will have alot of support to get rid of the bill. As you all know Im not a conservative, but I was very happy to hear that! I dont know if it was a rerun or not, well it wasn't live cause it was in the middle of the night, but I dont know if it was current. I remember reading on hear somewhere that he had committed the party to getting rid of the bill. Anyway just wanted to pass that on and also find out if anyone else had seen it.

babyrocky1
February 21st, 2006, 06:48 PM
One more thing, question, suppose the Fibs win, but with a minority, could the NDP and the PC- cant imagine this, but could they get together and put forth a private members bill or one of the partys, put forth a private memers bill, that would be put in place of bill 132, or could it be done in some other way? They would obviously have to dump the existing bill, is that possible with two opposition partys agreeing to it?

CyberKitten
February 21st, 2006, 07:30 PM
Two opposing parties will only work together if they perceive the bill proposed by one will help both of them and there is widespread public support. That means lots of lobbying by the anti SL forces. (and even electing a few ppl regaredles of party who support your view). Otherwise, I doubt they will go out on a limb without mega support. Or perceived support. Have an independent agewncy do a poll and see what the feeling in the province is and then present that (if the results are good - admittedly, I do not know what most Ontario residents think of the bill but surely the Libs must have done significanty polling before introducing this legislation. If there IS support for the current law, the education would seem to be the furst step!

seeker
February 21st, 2006, 08:33 PM
This is the first I have heard of this and certainly a welcomed bit of news. If they are elected one of the possible conservative MPPs had already introduced a private members bill that could be used to draft up a fair dog law.

twodogsandacat
February 22nd, 2006, 12:14 AM
On the weekend we walked through the mall parking lot and then I heard a friendly bark. In a car where two of the most beautiful white pit bulls I have ever seen. What a freaking shame that they have to wear muzzles. That's the real crime.

I told the owners who were just getting into the car that their dogs were gorgeous and they seemed very happy to hear it.

I canít wait for this law to be repealed.

Luvmypit
February 23rd, 2006, 01:42 PM
I almost kiss people who say, I love your dog and that ban is ridiculous.

Oh how I love those people.

Bryant must know now that the criminal pit bull owners that he thought we all were are few and far between and the responsible ones are a plenty! Tory recognizes this is an issue for pit owners and that we will vote in line with who supports us. HOw about inviting some politicians to the bully bash???? I do know my boss just showed John Tory and his wife around India about 2 - 3 weeks ago. I don't know how well he knows him. He does also know alot of other politicians.

babyrocky1
February 23rd, 2006, 03:20 PM
Ive been t ossing the idea around Luvmypit, but heres the thing, we are sharing the gallery with a group show, called Years of Resistance. Im not sure what kind of visuals people will be submitting but since we are a waterfront co-op we have beenb fighting the airport expansion for many, many years which is fine but also. when the Harris Tories were in power one of the first things they did was cancel all the co-ops that were contracted to be built. They were a sworn enemy to co-op housing so I would assume there would be references to that in the show. I dont want to insult anyone that might be on our side. On the other side of that, we live in a democracy and people, especially artists, expresss themselves in what ever way they choose. If I invite Tory politicians, I will explain upfront what is going on and who knows, maybe we could get John Tory on side for Co-op housing too! But if I invite politicos, I will definately invite the NDP as well. Hmmm, I may leave the Fibs off the invitation list. LOL If we cant get John Tory to come, maybe we could get one of the conservative critics who attacked Bryant. Actallly it would probably be good for the co-op movement to have the tories here, give them a bit of an education as to who we are, there are about as many misconceptions about co-ps as there are about pit bulls.

chico2
February 23rd, 2006, 04:47 PM
It would be great if Mr Tory could repel the bill,but unfortunately he is not the only one making the desicion.
He is already campaigning and will say anything you want to hear.
I voted Liberal,but cannot say that I like McGuinty and Mr Bryant even less:evil:
But I doubt we will have another PC government in Ontario,not after Harris and his goons.
It also might not be a very popular thing to do,we all love animals,including Pit-Bulls,I hate the muzzle-law,but many Ontarians who only know Pit-Bulls as killers and only read about them in the paper,would not agree.
Also,since when do we believe everything a politician says:mad: I wish it was true,but I doubt it very much:(

Luvmypit
February 23rd, 2006, 04:56 PM
Your right chico and babyrocky. One thing though might persuade them is that although a lot of people are on side of this pit bull ban they will not vote accordingly to who does and does not support it. I will and so will many pit bull owners/lovers. So yes majority agrees with the ban but are not involved so won't base their vote on it like we would. Most don't care enough to go out of their way to ban pit bulls or vote just b/c they support a pit bull ban. That should be enough to persuade any politician.

twodogsandacat
February 23rd, 2006, 06:20 PM
The reality is that those who vote decide. If only pot smoking citizens voted then pot would be legalized. If only teachers voted then all teachers would retire early and have huge salaries. If only pit bull owners and dog lovers voted then pit bulls would be legal. If only gays and lesbians voted then the whole same sex thing would have been settled years ago.

Vote. Convince everyone in your family and circle of friends who knows this ban is wrong to vote. If the lights go out in the next year and a half let them know why. Ask how much their hydro bills were. If they donít like Liberals make sure they donít like them enough to vote against them. Drive them if you have to.

If they sound like Liberal voters let them know that you believe the Liberal will get in anyways. Convince them their vote isnít needed. Maybe they will stay home that day.

As for the Tories I think the Harris days are over. Iíd take a Tory over a McGuinty any dayÖ.and I was a lifelong Liberal. Get out and vote.

seeker
February 23rd, 2006, 08:27 PM
I voted Liberal,but cannot say that I like McGuinty and Mr Bryant even less:evil:
But I doubt we will have another PC government in Ontario,not after Harris and his goons.
(

If you go back about a dozen years many were saying the same thing about the Mulroney/Cambell tories . It took a while but "never say never"
Also the provincial liberals are ticking off a lot more people than us pitbull owners . Much more than the federal Libs did under J.C. He was a leftover from the Trudeau years and after the GST and Free trade fiasco the federal libs figured they could never look that bad. The difference with Mcguinty is that after all of his lies and once people start feeling the pinch of higher municipal taxes , less service , higher hydro rates etc etc it will be the Ont Tories that might not look so bad . Sometimes I wonder if they even remember that they are elected members and that sooner rather than later there will be another provincial vote.

babyrocky1
February 23rd, 2006, 08:31 PM
As for the Tories I think the Harris days are over. I’d take a Tory over a McGuinty any day….and I was a lifelong Liberal. Get out and vote.I hope your right but I still could never vote Tory, anyways I think that some may even want to get more involved, join your riding association or the political party of your choice, that way you can help determine the policy directions and you can be front and centre in electing the candidate, if we had people on Bryants riding association there wouldnt be a Bryant....he has to be nominated by his riding association before he can run each time, in his case it would be impossible to get on the riding association but you guys get my point. At least I think it would, maybe they dont like him either, but usually if the candidate wins, they like him. :mad: Anyone live in St Pauls ?You could pretend to like himLOL Now that would be difficult!

babyrocky1
February 23rd, 2006, 08:40 PM
It would be great if Mr Tory could repel the bill,but unfortunately he is not the only one making the desicion.
He is already campaigning and will say anything you want to hear.
I Actually I cant believe its me, of all people, coming to John Torys defence but I got the feeling he was pretty nervous saying it because he knew it might NOT be popular. Im a pretty naive person though, and am always floored by peoples dishonesty, that being said, and i still wont vote Torie, I personally believed him. Yeah he will pick up votes from our side but unfortunately our numbers dont amount to enough to really make a dent in the election, now our passion is a different story. Olivia Chow mobilized one thousand volunteers for her campaign in our riding, can you imagine the energy we will all have when we hit St. Pauls, we will be a force thats for sure! Oh back to my point about John Tory, i dont see an alterier motive there. Pls dont tell the rest of the leftys I said it though LOL

twodogsandacat
February 23rd, 2006, 08:47 PM
I hope your right but I still could never vote Tory, anyways I think that some may even want to get more involved, join your riding association or the political party of your choice, that way you can help determine the policy directions and you can be front and centre in electing the candidate, if we had people on Bryants riding association there wouldnt be a Bryant....he has to be nominated by his riding association before he can run each time, in his case it would be impossible to get on the riding association but you guys get my point. At least I think it would, maybe they dont like him either, but usually if the candidate wins, they like him. :mad: Anyone live in St Pauls ?You could pretend to like himLOL Now that would be difficult!

Is this the Michael Bryant that defended the actions of his government when the Ontario courts said their practices were "discriminatory"? Wonder how that will play out in a racially diverse riding. See I say discrimination and most people think of race. It was autistic kids they were found to be discriminating against as if that's any better. Still if I can tick off some recent immigrants. Like those that might support Sharia law...too bad.

Oh you're Jewish? Well read this. CUPE member? Read this. Dog owner? Read this. Your hydro bills are high? Read this. Here have a flashlight too. Sick of crime? Read this. Yes he really did that here's an article from the Sun.

You tell me what's eating at you and I'll tell you how Michael Bryant played a hand in it. I'll give you all the PDFs you want.

babyrocky1
February 23rd, 2006, 09:12 PM
Lol sounds like someones prepared! Thats exactly what i meant in my previous post and I know there are others in the "movement" that are ready as well! And just in the way you are, they have been tracking his activities on everything, not just the dogs! Itll be interesting in St Pauls thats for ssure, i wonder if they will run there campaign in the sleezy manner that Bryants number one man ran Iannos campaign here in my riding, I guess we can pretty much count on it. Thats okay we know who and what we are up against now!

chico2
February 24th, 2006, 07:30 AM
I could not vote PC and sleep at night,unfortunately...
The former PC's are still too fresh in my mind,I remember corresponding with a desperate father of 2 autistic sons,the snub from Mr Baird(I believe it was)a total arrogant dismissal of the needs of these kids and parents:sad:
I feel McGuinty is a snivelling coward..most of the western world,have banned talking on a cell-phone while driving,but McGuinty says we don't need another law,even if it could save lives..what is he afraid of??
Maybe because there are more cell-phone users,than pit-bull owners?
He trusts people to use common sense:D That's a BIG joke,not a day goes by,that you do not see someone driving erraticly,while in a heated discussion on the phone.
ooops,sorry did not mean to change the subject,but I watch McGuinty on the news yesterday..:evil:

twodogsandacat
February 24th, 2006, 07:46 AM
I remember corresponding with a desperate father of 2 autistic sons,the snub from Mr Baird(I believe it was)a total arrogant dismissal of the needs of these kids and parents:sad:
I feel McGuinty is a snivelling coward..most of the western world,have banned talking on a cell-phone while driving,but McGuinty says we don't need another law,even if it could save lives..what is he afraid of??

However it was McGuinty who said that they believe it was unfair to discriminate against autistic kids and upon election would extend therapy to kids above the age of six. This led to many parents of autistic kids to vote for him. Almost two years after being elected and refusing to make that change parents had a win in court. The court called the practice unfair and discriminatory. McGuintyís position? His lap dog Bryant appealed the decision. Appealed a decision that would of dictated that the province do what McGuinty had promised to do. Nice.

There is one dog related death a year in Canada and it has been a few years since the last Ontario death. How many deaths or serious injuries occur because the driver is distracted AND on a cell phone? Not an issue?

We donít need more laws? This is the same idiot that tried to ban fresh Tuna.

Yes I could vote Tory.

seeker
February 24th, 2006, 08:41 PM
I could not vote PC and sleep at night,unfortunately...
The former PC's are still too fresh in my mind,I remember corresponding with a desperate father of 2 autistic sons,the snub from Mr Baird(I believe it was)a total arrogant dismissal of the needs of these kids and parents:sad:
He trusts people to use common sense:D That's a BIG joke,not a day goes by,that you do not see someone driving erraticly,while in a heated discussion on the phone.
ooops,sorry did not mean to change the subject,but I watch McGuinty on the news yesterday..:evil:

I wonder if they would consider a ban ? It takes thought and common sense to make a law ,a ban takes no common sense at all .