Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Question about dog

SadiesMommy03
February 21st, 2006, 04:34 PM
My husband and I have a dog...she is only a year old. Well, she is typically outside but the weather lately has been yucky so we brought her inside. That was on last saturday. Now four days later, she starts throwing up and just seems like she doesnt feel very good. I dont know what to do. Can it make a dog sick bringing them inside like that when they arent used to it?

coppperbelle
February 21st, 2006, 04:57 PM
I don't think bringing her in is making her sick. She has probably picked up something and needs medical treatment. You don't mention what breed she is and where you live. I don't think it is a good idea to leave dogs outside all the time. Dogs are social creatures and crave the attention of their families. I would suggest that the first thing you do is bring your dog to a vet.

SadiesMommy03
February 21st, 2006, 04:59 PM
she is just outside for the time being. my husband is in tech school and at my inlaws they dont want her inside for a month.
she is a mastiff. i just let her out to use the bathroom a few minutes ago and now she is acting fine and playing around. i dont know what it is.

Lucky Rescue
February 21st, 2006, 05:13 PM
I hope this dog has a well insulated dog house? It's too cold in Ohio for a short haired breed like a Mastiff.

Please take her to the vet. You have no way of knowing what she may have eaten outside.

SadiesMommy03
February 21st, 2006, 05:15 PM
she has a huge kennel, dog house, dog bed, the whole nine yards. hubby and i plan on putting her indoors when we move in a few weeks.

SarahLynn123
February 21st, 2006, 05:16 PM
Then if she stays outside alone for a month she can come inside? Im not understanding.

Maybe she ate something while being unsupervised in the back yard that made her sick. She is still a pup and they tend to eat anything and everything.

Either way a vet visit would be helpful.

SarahLynn123
February 21st, 2006, 05:17 PM
Oh I see, you will be moving. Im a slow writer!

SadiesMommy03
February 22nd, 2006, 02:50 AM
She got sick again so we took her to a vet around 10pm. Well, thank god she tested negative for parvo but she has whipworm. Well, the vet gave her a shot which in turn literally has Sadie knocked out. She said it would make her tired but dang....this shot really knocked her out. I got back in time from the vet got her in the house, and that was five hours ago. She has been asleep ever since!!! She also has meds I have to give her everyday and pedialyte.

mom_to_many
February 22nd, 2006, 05:41 AM
It may be she has found something in the house to eat. If you have cats...watch the litter box. My Yoda loves it....ugh!! So I scoop before he comes in. Also..check her toys. I had a German Shepherd that peeled the stringy stuff off a tennis ball, and when she threw that up...OMG I thought it was worms from Mars..until I found the "bald" ball and confirmation from the vet.Needless to say..no more tennis balls or the soft rubbery ones. She was sick for a few days. She also had a fear of thunder and loud noises that would make her throw up once in awhile. (Nervous tummy)
Don't know if this helps, good luck and keep us posted

jawert1
February 22nd, 2006, 11:34 AM
Whip worms live in the soil and are found in animals such as racoons, badgers, rabbits, just about anything you can find in suburbia/countryside. She may have eaten a dead animal and got it, hard to tell. Once a dog gets whipworm, it is IMPERATIVE that they not be housed in the location they were in where it was found, meaning your inlaws are either going to have to bring her in, or move her house entirely, since she'll just be reinfested and it's not pretty. Good luck, I hope she feels better and please have her house moved if she can't be brought inside.