Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Politically correct wood?

Prin
February 21st, 2006, 04:02 PM
We might redo our floors and I vaguely remember that some flooring is bad for the world (i.e. endangered species) and others are good... But I can't find the list anymore.

Anybody know if Bamboo is bad? Is it endangered? It looks really nice and it's fairly cheap...:o

jesse's mommy
February 21st, 2006, 04:04 PM
I don't know if it's bad to use as floor or not, but I'm pretty sure it's not endangered. It grows everywhere and is rather invasive and spreads very easily. It literally takes over when it is growing. Hopefully that helps a bit.

BoxerRescueMTL
February 21st, 2006, 04:33 PM
Funny coincidence - we are doing floors too and we're also looking for environmentally friendly materials. But we are doing our kitchen floors. Bamboo is environmentally friendly because it grows really, really fast. Our firends have bamboo floors and did it themselves - they are gorgeous! For our kitchen we went for cork, environmentally friendly, affordable, really easy on the feet/back when standing and cooking (very important for us because Chris is always cooking something).

wdawson
February 21st, 2006, 04:35 PM
bamboo might be hard to walk on.......you going for the tiki hut theme:eek:

jesse's mommy
February 21st, 2006, 04:37 PM
At the tiki, tiki, tiki, tiki, tiki room....Oops, got caught up in the song!

jjgeonerd
February 21st, 2006, 05:32 PM
I would suggest you read "In a Dark Wood" by Alston Chase. It isn't related to wood flooring, but it deals with the timber wars of the 80's/90's in the US Pacific Northwest. I'm not sure...maybe Canada's logging industry had/has similar problems with the spotted owl and Salmon and such. After reading this book I don't feel so bad about using certain types of wood...the environmental movement has put out a huge amount if misinformation regarding logging and its effects on the environment (among other things).

I say buy what you like and can afford. Bamboo looks awesome IMO, but so do a lot of other wood types.

joeysmama
February 21st, 2006, 09:23 PM
I just read something about this toay on another website. Someone is redoing their floors in their new home and they're looking into bamboo. It's supposed to be VERY eco-friendly.

Prin
February 21st, 2006, 10:16 PM
They sell it at costco... Only they're not 100% bamboo- it's bamboo plywood, which is fine for us because we can't afford anything else...

Have a look see: Costco Bamboo floors... (http://www.costco.ca/en-CA/Browse/Productgroup.aspx?Prodid=10288119&whse=&topnav=&cat=20269&hierPath=20076*20269*)

glasslass
February 21st, 2006, 11:21 PM
Maybe you could put new bamboo flooring in just a corner of the room. Then let it just grow and spread throughout the entire room! :D :evil: Sorry! Just couldn't resist. Actually, while looking at houses this fall, I noticed several that were advertised as having bamboo floors. They were mostly in upper scale neighborhoods if that's any indication.

Prin
February 21st, 2006, 11:28 PM
ooh lala! :D What is hooking me is that they say it's harder than maple or oak, which is good for those doggy nails...:eek:

melanie
February 22nd, 2006, 03:08 PM
i say go bamboo and agree with the others. you want something that is sustainable, that is it grows fast, is often found as a weed and is often used in sustainable forestry operations.

things like oak and maple are lovely, BUT they are not really sustainable as they take ages to grow and their removal can have detrimental effects to the land including soil losses, monocultures in soil, instability, not to mention the effects of logging equiptment (axle compaction, emissions and crap) blah blah blah blah not to mention the whole carbon emissions and waste upon removal.

anything that takes ages to grow should be avoided....

and i dont know about your place, but here bamboo is jsut a pain in the butt that grows like wildfire and is ecologically unsound in the aussie environment.

BUT do check where they source it as bamboo can be vital in its natural env.

if its from sustainable forestry operations its fine and dandy (well as fine as using any limited and necessary resource can be, and i am not a fan of forestry anyway, blah blah blha)

have you checked for secound hand woods, fi you wnat oak or such you may get them secound hand, saving a fortumne and recycling in the process.....

post a pic when done lovey...

Prin
February 22nd, 2006, 03:24 PM
Yeah, we thought about looking on ebay for used stuff, but we need it to last a long time because of the dogs and our lack of money...:D The bamboo looks really nice (I prefer a very very light colored wood) and the tiny strips would make our smallish living room look bigger. My boyfriend has told me not to order it, but he knows I will... And then I'll ask him for money when I run out at the end of the month.:D

catsnatcher-CDN
February 22nd, 2006, 05:52 PM
Ya, Bamboo in the wild is almost uncontrollable and starts growing roots and stubs everywhere. The pic from Costco looks real nice though...
What do you have now?

If you replace it with Bamboo, will it increase the value of your house or will it affect the price you may want to sell it for, if ever you want to upgrade to another home?

jesse's mommy
February 22nd, 2006, 06:29 PM
My boyfriend has told me not to order it, but he knows I will... And then I'll ask him for money when I run out at the end of the month.:D

That sounds like me with Jim. I usually say to him "Guess what I bought today? It's something that will benefit our relationship..." blah, blah, blah. He just rolls his eyes and agrees with me. He doesn't even try to fight me anymore! :D

Gazoo
February 22nd, 2006, 06:52 PM
From what I understand though bamboo and cork can be efffected by the dry winter climate in Canada...especially in the west.

But you may be OK in the east where its more humid. :confused:

jiorji
February 22nd, 2006, 07:52 PM
We might redo our floors and I vaguely remember that some flooring is bad for the world (i.e. endangered species) and others are good... But I can't find the list anymore.

Anybody know if Bamboo is bad? Is it endangered? It looks really nice and it's fairly cheap...:o

yup.

from what I recall the bamboo forests are shrinking thus leaving the panda with no food. Which is worrying a lot of environmentalists.

jesse's mommy
February 22nd, 2006, 08:03 PM
Jjorgi, are you sure? I know where I used to live in Maryland it was EVERYWHERE! We actually picked up a bunch that was broken in a forest, dried it out and made a Tiki Bar out of it. Is it only threatened in certain areas? I'm not even joking with how much was in Maryland. Everywhere you would look, Bamboo!

Prin
February 23rd, 2006, 12:28 AM
shhhh jiorji!! SHH!!! lol I bought the floor this afternoon. In 7 to 10 business days it will be here...:D

Right now we have horrid parkay. :yuck: Not only do I hate parkay, the twits before us varnished them so poorly that when I sweep, half the pile is hair and the other half is varnish. It's such a bad job that sometimes our socks get caught on the jaggedly parts and rip. You can't walk barefoot. It's so unpleasant. I hate it. And the twits put their boots straight on the floor, so part of the floor that's about a square meter is all water damaged. Just looks terrible. And being ugly parkay, it's not worth the effort to sand and revarnish it.

I don't have any good pics of the floor (I crop it out usually) but in this one you can see the water damage.. Isn't it terrible? Blech! (top left is the damaged part, but there are parts in the middle of the room too...)

The kitchen floor is horrible too, but we can't tile it till we do the foundation because when they lift the house, all the tiles will crack.:rolleyes: Right now, it's stick on tiles on top or parkay! Can you imagine?!

jesse's mommy
February 23rd, 2006, 04:06 AM
I knew you were going to order it! What did the man say?

Prin
February 23rd, 2006, 08:55 AM
"Do it!" but he was in the middle of a hockey game, so I hope it counts.:D

jiorji
February 23rd, 2006, 10:09 AM
"Do it!" but he was in the middle of a hockey game, so I hope it counts.:D

LOL hahaha I love it!!
best time to bug guys for stuff :evil:
it's things like that that make me wish i wasn't single...sigh... lol

as for the bamboo...i could be wrong...I have no problem admitting that :p . It could be vertain bamboo types that I heard about.
I was thinking...if bamboo is so cheap would it be endangered?!!? so it could be a different type.

can't wait to see pics of your new floors :)

cpietra16
February 23rd, 2006, 10:47 AM
http://www.wwfchina.org/english/loca.php?loca=75#4

Just FYI- According to the above there are different species of bamboo. Panda bears are definately engangered due to the decrease in habitat and bamboo. Bamboo takes years and years to grow. I am not sure if Costco bamboo is the same kind that is found in China...
interesting info

jjgeonerd
February 23rd, 2006, 12:10 PM
Congrats! My wife pulls that trick on me too...during football or baseball instead of hockey though! :evil:

Are you installing it yourself of having it done? Good luck!

Prin
February 23rd, 2006, 02:05 PM
To me, the issue in China is not about cutting down the bamboo for profit but cutting it just because the city limits are expanding or because agriculture needs more room. Supposedly, a bamboo forest can replenish in under 5 years... I guess I have to keep my conscience clear because it's not as bad as maple or oak, right?

jj, we're doing it ourselves. No hired help for us...:cool: :D