Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Labs tail has gone south

tamjrey
February 21st, 2006, 10:01 AM
I have a 2 year old black male who was always wagging his tail in every possible direction. He came in the other night and was holding his tail straight down. We checked him out and it feels possibly swollen but it's hard to tell because he has such a thick tail. It's been a few days now and I have noticed that he seems to be getting more control of it. I've checked for bite marks and found nothing. He sees his vet in 2 weeks for shots but I'm not sure this is an immediate problem or not. He's fine otherwise. What do you think?

SunGurl372
February 21st, 2006, 03:28 PM
I read something on the AKC site about labs having this...your dog might be experiencing something called coldwater tail.

You can read about it here.... http://www.thelabradorclub.com/library/coldwatertail.html

Prin
February 21st, 2006, 03:56 PM
Cold tail happens when the dog has been swimming in cold water for a long time... The op doesn't mention swimming. Jemma had cold tail last summer and within 2 days, she was back to normal, but I was so worried. I dreaded my baby losing her wagger.

I don't think this is cold tail...

This doggy might have lied on his tail and cracked it or something. If he has pain about it, I'd go to the vet.

coppperbelle
February 21st, 2006, 05:03 PM
If the tail is just hanging there it could be cold tail/swimmer tail. It can take a little while for the dog to feel better. It is an extremely painful condition and dogs can get it from lots of exercise too and not only swimming. If your dog has had more exercise than usual or has been swimming in cold water this is probably what it is.
Your vet can give him something for the pain and to reduce the swelling I think but it will go away on its own.

SunGurl372
February 22nd, 2006, 09:10 AM
Copperbelle is right. Vigorous exercise has been cited as a cause of "coldwater tail".