Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My Cat - Jaw growth

Tammy3306
February 21st, 2006, 01:51 AM
Hi,

My cat is 12 years old and I had to have his teeth extracted a little over a month ago. He has since developed a growth on his middle jaw (both inside and outside the mouth). I assumed it was an absess, but the vet said because it is hard, that it is a tumor. She never tested it for malignacy, but didn't give him long to live. (5 days). That was over two weeks ago and he is still eating and drinking and running around, however the growth is getting larger, but staying localized in his jaw. It bothers him and does make it hard for him to eat properly. Any advise? Any hope? The vet wants me to put him down, but he doesn't even act sick.

Still Hopeful! Tammy

mona_b
February 21st, 2006, 06:57 AM
My suggestion would be is to see another vet.

The reason I say this is that the lump should be tested...It could be anything.And I don't like the idea of her stating that your cat only has 5 days to live.How does she know?She didn't even do any testing.

Please seek a second opinion.I know I would in your situation.

I do hope your kitty will be ok.

cpietra16
February 21st, 2006, 07:25 AM
I completely agree with mona_b, please get a second opinion. Where did the 5 days come from. How can you say its cancer if its never been tested. Please get a second opinion.

Beaglemom
February 21st, 2006, 08:27 AM
I'm so very sorry to hear about your baby. I too would get a second opinion. It would help you with your decision. When I worked at the vet clinic years ago, we had a cat that also had a growth in his lower jaw. His unfortunately was cancer.

Because your cat's tumour has grown since he was last examined, I would definitely get a second opinion quickly because it will only continue to grow and make him even more uncomfortable.

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Please do keep us updated.

Tammy3306
February 21st, 2006, 05:39 PM
Thanks for your input, I sincerely appreciate it. I don't want him to suffer but because he seems fine other than the growth is bothering him. I will take all of your advice and see adifferent vet. I will update when I know more,
Thanks again to all !
Tammy and Tommy-cat:love: