Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Scary House Fire

doggy lover
February 20th, 2006, 02:12 PM
I'm sitting here watching a large house across the road burn down. It only took minutes for the flames to go through the roof. I firs seen it there was only a police officer there now all kinds of fire fighters, helecopter and so on. There is a fireman on an ariel ladder fighting it and many on the ground. I knew fires went fast but this was crazy I have taken a few pictures I'll send them after. It really has me shaking, to think everything you own could be gone so fast. I hope they didn't have any pets, there would be no chance. I hope every one was out or they got out. I'll get back to you after have to go watch what is happening, seems like its dying down.:(

Prin
February 20th, 2006, 02:21 PM
That is really scary. My brother was burned out in the summer, and it's a really overwhelming thing to go through. You never expect to lose everything in a matter of hours like that. No fun at all.

doggy lover
February 20th, 2006, 02:39 PM
The pic's are hard to see, but there is a house if you look through the smoke. I got a video off my camera and it shows the flames coming through the roof.

doggy lover
February 20th, 2006, 02:40 PM
another one

Prin
February 20th, 2006, 02:40 PM
Is it a really tall house?

doggy lover
February 20th, 2006, 02:42 PM
this is after it died down.

doggy lover
February 20th, 2006, 02:44 PM
Prin you can see it in the last one better, it was a good sized house. I looks like most off the roof is burned out so I guess the house is more or less gutted. The firemen worked really fast once they started. I feel sorry for the family coming home to this tonight.:(

joeysmama
February 20th, 2006, 02:53 PM
My friends beautiful new home had a house fire and in a matter of minutes there was enough damage to keep them out of the house for 9 or 10 months. She had emptied the ash from the wood burning stove and put it in the pail on the back porch. Unfortunately there must have still been a cinder in there and someone had inadvertantly left some paper or cardboard int he pail. Anyway--a few minutes later she went into the kitchen and saw smoke on the porch. She dialed 911 and took her two boys in her arms (3yrs and 1 year) and was on her way out the door before the smoke detectors even went off. And still---soo much damage.

She had to call her husband who was in the airport traveling home froma business trip and tell him that she had burned down the house. Fortunately he was wonderful about it--just knowing that she and the boys were fine made it all ok by him.

Luvmypit
February 20th, 2006, 03:33 PM
Jees. That is crazy. Thanks for the pics! Fires scare me to death. I used to smoke on my second floor balcony and there was an old plant there. Needless to say I thought I'll put my smokes out in there.
Dumb dumb dumb dumb duuuuumb!

I smellt something burning it seemed like all day. Until I went for another smoke and the plant had been simmering and had melted the plastic holder and a large hole. It was so bad it needed a lot of water to put out.


People don't realize... It takes only minutes.

doggy lover
February 20th, 2006, 03:41 PM
Yep only minutes, in about 10 minutes the flames were coming through the roof. It has really made me think, I have a 3 story house and bedrooms are on the top floor, exit doors on ground level. If there was a fire at night and we couldn't get out????????????? I need an fire escape ladder for our rooms. I guess I'll be going to Canadian Tire.

chico2
February 20th, 2006, 04:18 PM
We just installed 5 smoke-detectors and we have a fire-extinguisher(sp?)both up and downstairs,I am terrified of the thought of fire.
I keep the cat-carrier in my bed-room,since a house down the road from me burned,with 4 cats in it:sad:
I know cats will panic and hide,probably would not be able to get them in to the carriers,I would more than likely have to throw them out the window,only one floor.
Before I go to bed,or leave the house,I check and double-check everything...such a worry-wart:p

happycats
February 20th, 2006, 04:39 PM
WOW!! I hope everyone is okay over there! That looks like the 401 at Kingston rd!?

doggy lover
February 20th, 2006, 05:18 PM
Its Kingston rd hwy just after the bridge. The house is on Meadowvale, where it dead ends on the north side.

happycats
February 20th, 2006, 05:20 PM
OMG I have a co-worker who lives close to there, I'll have to ask her tomorrow!

CyberKitten
February 20th, 2006, 06:01 PM
OMG - that is scary!! Something similar tho not quite as devistating by the looks of those pix occured when I was byounger - I was a 1st yr univ student, just home from school for the summer and there was just me and my baby brother at home - and he was not yet 5! I had read him a story and he was lying down and I happened to peek out the kitceh window only to witness this huge stunning flame careen (is that how that's spelled, lol) out of the downstairs. I always had the fire dept's number memorized (I still recall the bloody thing, lol - this was before we had 911) and I never called a no so fast in all my life. The trucks roared up and put it out - the parents were away and the son (who was a bit of a character) and a friend thought they would star a fire in the fireplace downstairs. They were unfamiliar with fires (I guess he was not a Eagle Scout) and there was serious damage to the basement (ie downstairs - a rec room basically and a bedroom) and the garage. I was shaking so hard and it was not even my home but was just across the street, you know how residential streets are - we may have had two lots on our side but that did not mean we were far away from the house on the other sude, just barely two lanes, no sidewalks. (This was after we had moved "into town") It was not far from the school where my mom was a principal and I made absolutely sure to call her - she must have detected the nervousness in my voice because she said she was on her way home. In the meantime, our Parish Priest - who was at the Church associated with the school (le Pere Maillet) - arrived before her; he had worried it was our home, always considered that thoughtful of him.

The parents arrived home late that evening and the absolute horror registered on the mother's face when she thought all four of herchildren died in the fire is etched in my mind. My dad rushed out to tell er where they were - at a friend's - plus they were new to the neighbourhood having just arrived from Quebec!

But no-one was injured and the house was fixed and looked really good post fire. But it was a scary few minutes. I even woke "the baby" up and held him until everything was over - he claims he remembers that but I doubt it, it's possible but he prob recalls some snippet of the traima.

So I can relate to how you felt!!! It IS a scary and frigenting feeling - esp when you see the 8-9 foot flames jumping up out of a home!!

doggy lover
February 23rd, 2006, 01:46 PM
I found out the fire was caused by an unattended BBQ, it cought on fire and must of caught an overhang on the deck on fire and then it went up from there. It caused over $300,000 in damage. Thankfully no one was hurt, the owner that was home got out safely.