Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Stomach bug or something more serious?

Baskethound
February 20th, 2006, 02:13 PM
My mom has a 10-year-old female Golden Retriever with a predilection for finding whatever junk she can on the ground and eating it. She regularly gets walked on trails in a wooded area near her home. Two days ago, my mom noticed that her dog's bowel movement was very loose, yellowish in colour, with some white flecks in it. She gave the dog two Imodium over the course of 24 hours, and another one mid-day yesterday, to stop the very loose stool the dog was having. Her stools have thickened a bit but are still very soft and of a lighter/more yellow colour than usual.

Anyone have any idea what this might be?:fingerscr Other than your basic parasite? Treatment ideas? My mom's hesitant to go to our vet's who, while very competent, is also fond of running multiple (read expensive) tests whenever the opportunity strikes. The dog is in otherwise happy, eating well, not drinking more than usual, showing no signs of being ill. We live near Vancouver, B.C.

Lucky Rescue
February 20th, 2006, 02:24 PM
Since no one knows what the dog may have eaten, I would at the very least take a stool sample to the vet to be analyzed. This is not expensive.

Prin
February 20th, 2006, 02:42 PM
Depending on what she ate, lighter stools can mean that the food is passing through the colon pretty quickly. I wouldn't give immodium. If the doggy's body is flushing itself out because she ate something off, I'd let it. If it persists more than a day or two, without any improvement, I'd definitely head to the vet.

Baskethound
February 21st, 2006, 11:27 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I personally thought she was pushing the panic button a bit quickly, and it looks like the dog is doing better now.

Cheers, and thanks again.