Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Snow fencing???

Jazz&Cricket
February 20th, 2006, 12:24 PM
Does anyone here have experience with snow fencing? Does it work? This is the 3rd time in a week that my entire driveway (100 metres) has been drifted over by blowing snow. Fortunately, I have a neighbour with a backhoe who digs us out. Since our house is in the middle of our hayfields, we don't have any tree coverage yet. I will be starting to plant wind rows (any suggestions for appropriate trees would be nice - zone 3) and would like to install snow fencing until the trees start to act as a barrier.

jawert1
February 20th, 2006, 01:15 PM
As heinous as it looked, my dad installed a snow fence 2 winters ago and much to my chagrin, it worked very well. Now, it's not that I want my father to have to shovel (the driveway incline is nasty), it's that they live on the side of a mountain and he used BLAZE ORANGE fencing that's visible from 3 miles down the highway (tho this is the same man that copied National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation lighting on our house) :D Well worth the investment until your tree line grows and my folks also used norwegian pines for that at our old house (which worked great)

Jazz&Cricket
February 20th, 2006, 01:44 PM
Was it the wooden snow fencing or was it the plastic stuff? Norwegian pines..I'll have to see if they will grow here. Thanks :)

jawert1
February 20th, 2006, 01:53 PM
It was blaze orange plastic, though it does come in black too :)