Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

new store policy?.. a mini-rant

jessi76
February 19th, 2006, 04:05 PM
Normally I try to have Tucker's nails clipped while he's at daycare or school, but it's the weekend, that place is closed, so I figured I'd try a big chain store that my mom had used a few months ago. The groomer was nice, she got to know Tucker for a few mintues before even bringing him behind the counter, THEN she asks me a few questions, if he's been there before ... no...... if I have a rabies certificate... ummm, yes, at home, but I don't carry it with me. (who does?) I asked if this was really necessary for a routine nail clip (which they advertise as "walk in" appointments)... she tells me it's a new store policy that all new dogs be muzzled or in an E-collar. (unless you have a copy of the rabies certif)

I didn't want to argue with the poor girl (just doing her job) but I was a bit uneasy especially since tucker has NEVER had to wear a muzzle OR an e-collar. I wasn't sure how'd he react to it - being in a new place - new people - on a grooming table - dogs barking - and then to be muzzled?! she showed me it was a soft one, and since he NEEDED the nail clip badly I let her try it out...

thankfully he was more upset with the nail clippers than the muzzle - all was fine - his nails are beautiful - trimmed perfectly - and he got a HUGE cookie from the nice groomer.

I just thought it was ODD. very odd. I've been to other places (other big chain stores) and it's never been an issue.

just my mini-rant of the day.

mafiaprincess
February 19th, 2006, 06:24 PM
Was a rabies tag good enough for proof?

Prin
February 19th, 2006, 07:20 PM
I could see how it was important... I mean this dog comes in all uncared for, looking like he came in from a month in the woods, with lonnnnng nails and no tag (I assume he had no rabies tag)... If I was her, I'd have run away screaming. :D :p Kidding, of course. But I have to say, I have seen some really uncared for doggies- one with long fur between the toes, disgustingly long nails (to the point where they curl under the feet) and mats in the smelly fur, and I wonder how often in the doggy's short lifetime it has seen a vet.

t.pettet
February 19th, 2006, 08:06 PM
Can't count how many dogs I have groomed who look like they've never seen a brush or nail-clipper but have to get cleaned up because of their annual (vaccinations) vet appointment. Wouldn't want the vet to see them in that condition now would we? I always ask for confirmation of vaccinations if they're a 1st. time customer since you just never know the dog's temperament until you start working on them. Better to be safe than sorry.