Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

stupid landlord

jiorji
February 18th, 2006, 11:21 PM
my rent lease expires in august but well apparently....I need to let the landlord know within a month (end of march) if I'm renewing it. I'm going with no..
Gee thanks for giving me so much time to decide and find a place!(sarcasm)

It somewhat makes me uneasy b/c they're not giving me much time. And quite frankly I haven't seen any apartment listings for August yet. Even July. How am I supposed to find something so early that will be free in August?!?!

pressure!!!

that being said I think i'll start looking for a place in April and perhaps find a doggy friendly place, so that I can house the smelly dog Prin is getting me for my bday. LOL (see other thread)

is april too late to look for apartments in Montreal you think? would I have a better chance at having a pet friendly lease if I look for a logement?(i think that's what they're called)

.......what are the chances that i WON'T find a good place in 4 months?!?!:confused:

Lucky Rescue
February 18th, 2006, 11:54 PM
4 months is plenty of time to find a place. I haven't rented in many years and don't know how tight the market is, but you should find something.

Which part of Montreal are you considering? Other people on the board may know of something coming up near them and can let you know.:)

jiorji
February 19th, 2006, 01:23 AM
phew!! ok that's what I was hoping.

I'd like to find a place near the Montroyal area. Cos it's nice and green and closer to school and everything else. :)

Prin
February 19th, 2006, 01:55 AM
February/March/April are the best months to find an apartment. It's a little harder to find one for August though- usually the leases are July to July (which is why they open up around March/April because you have to give 3 months notice before leaving.

Good luck.:)

Gazoo
February 19th, 2006, 07:30 PM
Why tell the landlord anything until you legally have to?!?!?!

It's none of their business...especially if they're acting like an ass-hat!!!

jiorji
February 19th, 2006, 11:41 PM
well i think this is when I legally have to tell them. I just find it a bit early. But Prin said they usually ask for 3 months notice. And for me it would be in May...not March.

And I can't not tell them til May because the girl at the office said that if i don't sign the sheet telling them I'm not renewing the lease they'll automatically do it for me assuming...ASSUMING I'm keeping it. I don't find that fair, but whatever. I originally planned on looking for something else anyways.

Prin
February 19th, 2006, 11:53 PM
I don't know if you should check with the rental board... I don't think they have the right to ask you until 3 months... Or maybe you have the right to not answer up to 3 months before?

Gazoo
February 20th, 2006, 10:28 AM
Find out what YOUR RIGHTS ARE!!!! :)

jiorji
February 20th, 2006, 11:11 AM
looks like I have none....I checked the lease contract and it says that I have to renew my lease(or not) 6 months before it's due.

bah!:mad: