Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Diamond Pet Food FDA report

rainbow
February 17th, 2006, 05:13 PM
The inspection forms for the Diamond plant in Gaston have been posted by the FDA if anyone wants to read the facts go to:
http://www.fda.gov/ora/frequent/
4835/01192006_DiamondPetFood/Diamond
_Pet_Food_ProcessorsFDA483_01192006.pdf[/url]

shannonRN
February 17th, 2006, 06:28 PM
Can't someone please read it and just tell me what it says?

:D

Prin
February 17th, 2006, 07:48 PM
Page 3 is a bad one... I can't copy the bad stuff (it's an image:rolleyes: ), but basically, their ingredients don't pass tests for their content. The chicken by-products and Rice Bran primarily don't meet the standards for moisture, protein, fat, ash and fiber that they are supposed to (i.e. they have less of each than it says on the bag). The corn is not tested at all, neither for content, not for toxins (apparently they're supposed to do a test with a black light and they don't).

Basically, they're supposed to test each batch of separate ingredients with near infrared spectroscopy to make sure the content is exactly what it should be, and either they don't do it, or they do it but don't care what the results are.

That's what I got from it, but maybe I'm misreading it.

mastifflover
February 17th, 2006, 08:16 PM
Just to let you know none of the tainted food was sold in Canada.

shannonRN
February 18th, 2006, 04:01 PM
Prin, you rock. I uninstalled acrobat a while back because this lump of junk that I call a computer is so overloaded, and I never used acrobat anyway--pretty much anything I need to read is available as HTML now. So thanks :)

Big surprise--"dog food manufacturer cuts corners." :rolleyes:

rainbow
February 18th, 2006, 05:37 PM
I just had a thought. I know Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers Soul (which is supposed to be a top quality food) is supposed to be made at a different plant but I wonder if Diamond makes it with the same "care and attention" as their other food? :eek: Also Diamond has opened a Customer Information Centre "staffed by veterinarians (theirs??) to help customers concerned about their pets health". The toll free number is 1-866-214-6945....don`t know if it works from Canada.