Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Lab hates to be left alone

ks42425
February 17th, 2006, 05:43 PM
Hi: I have used this site before when I adopted my yellow lab at 5 months. He was swallowing his food and throwing it up all the time. Since then about 2 months now he is much slower and does great. There are some issues I want to know how to handle. He will always follow me everywhere, If I leave he cries, he runs to the window and just goes crazy, He does not like to leave me alone. I like it to an extent but he demands so much love always. I admire his devotion and love him to bits but how do I get him from stopping this. Or is it just a characteristic I need to adjust to? Ive tried the leaving for a few, coming back, ive tried to lock him up it just doesnt work and I always give in. Also im home with him all the time. Any hints for myself on how to accept this. At times I just get so upset and yell to go away and he looks so pitiful. I then feel guilty and give in. What can I as a dog mom do to cope???

Mineeputs
February 17th, 2006, 07:06 PM
Our lab is 8 months old and when she was younger she would bark constantly if we left her alone. Mind you she was in a crate which we kept well stocked with her favourite bones or toys. It is gradually tapering off, but one thing that might help is giving her/him a good romp before you have to leave. It sounds to me that your dog is demanding attention and maybe not getting as much as needed. No offense, but these are working dogs and need lots of exercise. Another thing we do is give her a real meaty bone, raw of course. This keeps her busy for hours and is very good for them.

Prin
February 17th, 2006, 09:02 PM
Caving, to me is where the problem starts. You have to teach your dog boundaries and that love isn't free. It sounds harsh, maybe, but a dog is happier when somebody else is running the show. If you say something, make it stick.

When you did the leaving and coming back stuff, how did you do it? Did you make a big deal about it each time?

coolchange777
July 23rd, 2008, 11:04 PM
I so understand what you are going through. My lab has never liked being left alone. However, once I started using a crate he seemed to deal with it a lot better. Now all I say is "be back soon!" and he picks up his favorite ball and walks into his crate. It is almost like he is sort of releaved that he doesn't have to look after the house by himself. Before that he would pace, become distructive, in other words he was a nervous wreck...:

Guinness' mom
July 28th, 2008, 04:21 PM
LOL...oh do I sympathize...my lab is just over a year....he is crated trained and has gotten used to the work week schedule...But If I'm at home or we're up at the cottage, I am not allowed to be out of his site:frustrated:
I have been told that male labs are worse then females. Females will lie down in another room and can do their own thing where as the males have to be with you 24/7. Kind of sounds like mammals:p....jk guys.
But I do agree the crate is the biggest help:dog:

mollywog
July 28th, 2008, 04:37 PM
I have been going through the same thing with my dog. Its called separation anxiety, and if you Google it you will find lots of different ways of dealing with it. The 2 things that worked best for me included putting her in a crate (with a stuffed KONG) whenver we aren't home, and making sure she gets LOTS of exercise... a tired dog is a happy dog!!:pawprint:

histears
July 30th, 2008, 04:57 PM
We had the same problem with our Pit Lab X. 'She came to us when she was 4 months old and super clinging. I couldn't be in another room without tripping over her. When I left the house she would destroy whatever she could find even if I was only gone 5 minutes. I stay at home all the time too. After putting up with the crying, and chewing for more than 2 months I couldn't take it anymore. It hurt my feelings very much but, we got a crate and some really comfy blankies and a good solid bone for her. The first week in that crate were torture for us but, she adjusted and after a while she learned to love it and see it as her safe place. After a while there would be times we would forget to put her in her crate and she would be in it when we got home with no mess in the house. The crate training was our only resort we had and it worked well but, patience is the key and even if you have to leave to keep yourself from caving do it for your own sanity. Believe me we would have given her away if we couldn't solve the problem, I lost way too many shoes over separation anxiety. I know in a crate at first the dog may sound like you're killing it but, it really does help their nerves after time. My first day of crate training Zena is funny now but, I could have died at the time. We were at a friends place and we put her in and she actually pushed the tray out from under her wire crate and dug a hole through the carpet til she got to the cement. Then she even tried to dig through that. Cry ohh man I cried, but it did work.It'a worth it for sure to crate train no matter how hard it may seem. blessings.

kigndano
July 30th, 2008, 05:10 PM
i would read through the thread on here titled "What if my dog is afraid of her crate"

histears
July 30th, 2008, 06:37 PM
That is a recent incident brought on by my dog hurting herself. Before that she was in her crate for about a year with absolutely no problems except the first week and she will go back in it now again though I have to tell her to go now. I know it's weird but, I don't know maybe she did think the kennel bit her. LOL. Like I said I crate trained her the first time over a year ago and the thread was from an incident about 1 1/2 months ago. I thought of that after I posted here and wanted to clarify so I'm glad you brought it up.

kigndano
July 30th, 2008, 06:43 PM
no i know, but the same advice about comforting a scared dog etc. might apply here i thought.

giving in when the dog whines etc, is essentially only going to make the behaviour you want to go away get worse.

histears
July 30th, 2008, 07:10 PM
This is true the same advice would apply, I do admit it is hard advice to follow but, necessary. We are babysitting a dog right now that ohh man whines about just about everything. Problem is she is 12 yrs old and gets her own way all the time. I don't think I have her for long though. Thankfully mine are not picking up the habit but, my poor head, what a headache. It reminds me of when Zena use to freak when I left the house before I got the crate. It's true giving in just reinforces the behavior. When I put Zena back in her crate the other day and didn't make a fuss about it just put her in and shut the door she was fine. The problem wasn't her it was me. I have to admit by catering to this you may actually be creating a bigger problem in the long run. I wish you could meet this old dog I'm looking after. Wow it's insane. There is safety in firmness.

allymack
July 30th, 2008, 08:05 PM
I definately reccomend a crate, they are a huge help and such a great comfort to your dog. Also i agree with try and give him as much exercise as possible before you leave, so he is tired ( try to plan his walk to before your leaving). Also something that i am currently doing, since my BC has a bit of a whining problem when left alone is a sit stay, but without commands. Put on his leash, and pull him up in to a sit. Stand still for about thirty seconds ( dont use any commands to get him to sit/stay ) if he tries to leave the sit before the time is up, simply just put him back in to the sit by pulling up on the leash. AFter a week of doing this daily ( more if possible,[if you could do it every two or three hours, even better]) Start to incres the time to say a minute. The end goal is to have it up to 5 mins. You can also do this same exercise with a down, which is what i am going to do with my dog after he has perfected to sitting one. This way by doing both, he learns that sitting (or laying) still for 5 mins is ok, which allows you to do what you need to do ( i.e. take laudry up stairs) but in your case it seems liek you might need htis a little more long term. So start out the way said above but keep moving it up to about 30 mins, but once oyu get up high enough you can do it while watching tv..as long as he is sitting still and being quiet and relaxed.

I really feel this has helped quite a bit with my dog.

If you have nay questions about it, feel free to pm me, good luck! :)