Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

ear eczema

raingirl
February 16th, 2006, 10:24 PM
The vet told us to put a little bit of mineral oil on it to keep it moist.

I put some on last night and this evening, and the dry crustyness is gone, but it's all red? He was scratching it, could it just be red from some of the oil getting in the tiny scratches?

Prin
February 16th, 2006, 10:37 PM
It's not red because he's scratching it?

raingirl
March 18th, 2006, 12:06 PM
Sorry to bring this thread back...but we still have the problem.

He doesn't scratch it enough to make it red (like light scratching...he can barely reach his ear anyway).

We went back to the vet just in case, and she said there is no infection (bacterial or fungal) which is good. It's just irritated and not much we can do until the weather gets warm.

She actually suggested a little olive oil on a cotton ball stuck in his ear for 20 minutes to see if that helps, but Odin keeps knocking it out!!

I feel so bad. His ear is all crusty and flakey and bumpy!

Here is a pic.

raingirl
March 18th, 2006, 01:39 PM
and another. Any ideas.

badger
March 18th, 2006, 01:52 PM
Got an aloe vera plant? Or get the 100% gel from healthfood store or some pharmacies. Very soothing and might even clear it up. It's kind of gloppy as well, so it adheres to the skin. Doesn't matter if he gets some in his mouth, apply liberally as often as needed.

Prin
March 18th, 2006, 08:28 PM
Looks like dry skin. I like badger's idea. It might be easier to cream it up than to leave a cotton ball in there.

raingirl
March 18th, 2006, 09:45 PM
I tried the aloe before but it also made his ear red. I think anything we put on will though right?

I tried again today...he didn't like it so much, and rolled around trying to scratch his ear a bunch at first. I will just do it a lot and see if that helps.

Prin
March 18th, 2006, 10:58 PM
Do you think it's making the ear worse? Or is he just scratching because he's uncomfortable with guck in his ears?

raingirl
March 19th, 2006, 04:57 PM
I don't know.I think he just doesn't like the guck, or it stings or something.

OntarioGreys
March 20th, 2006, 01:52 PM
It could be an autoimmune disease

Possibly, cutaneous (discoid) lupus erythematosus
but with this the nose is normally affected, it will be light in colour(black pigment loss), skin of nose will be smooth instead of pebbly and may have crusting, peeling.

Pemphigus erythematosus is much less common and seems to affect collies
more than other breeds. Lesions are similar but usually stay on the face
and may cause loss of color (depigmentation) of nose.

Pemphigus vulgaris usually causes blisters to form, which become skin
ulcers when they burst. The blister stage can be really short term, so
careful observation for the blisters is important. This form of pemphigus
really likes the areas where normal skin meets soft specialized skin, such
as the edges of the lips, eyelids and rectum. When the feet are affected it
is much more likely for the toe nails to be shed when pemphigus vulgaris is
present. Since oral ulcers are common in pemphigus vulgaris but less common
with pemphigus foliaceus, this finding can help to differentiate between
the conditions. There may or may not be itching and some pets seem to have
pain associated with pemphigus vulgaris.

My one greyhound has one of these forms, but my vet and I opted on not doing a biopsy for several reason, she has blood clotting problems, areas affect(nose and vaginal area) and because treatment is the same for those that affect the skin only, with nose affected --minimizing sun exposure is important, chapstick with sunblock with SPF 15 or greater is helpful
Standard treatment is cortisone(prednisone) for life, it can be applied as a cream form to affected skin tissue, if it does not resolve then prednisone orally is given.

http://www.upei.ca/~cidd/Diseases/immune%20disorders/pemphigus.htm

As noted there is a different forms of treatment, I prefer the alternative as long term prednisone use does have severe side effects. This treatment started being used for dogs that were losing toenails caused by pemphigus SLO, it it proving an effective way to treat other forms of skin related pemphigus and lupus diseases, but it is hard to find online articles that mention other than the brief mention in the above link.

1. sunscreen when outside, like chapstick on the nose 15 spf or greater
2. Oral Vitamin E or fatty acids (180mg/10# EPA) like dermcaps or high quality fish oils for life
3. Tetracycline 250 to 500 mg 2 times a day /Niacinamide(a form of vitamin B) 250 mg twice a day for 4 to 6 weeks

4. cortisone cream or prednisone only till systems disappear rather than using lifelong

In this link, you can see some pics of a dog that has a svere case covering several skin area, it is after the blisters have broke and started crusting http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Field/5413/pemphigus.htm

I would suggest ask the vet to try some panalog cream first, apply to the skin of the ear till it clears up, if it returns later, then odds are good that what the dog has is a form of autoimmune disease like mentioned above.

Skryker
March 20th, 2006, 03:14 PM
I have eczema, and several patches are very red like Odin's ear. The problem with it is it's very hard to treat (at least in people, so I assume in dogs, too.) Hydrocortisone cream works for me, or over the counter stuff like Udderly Smooth helps too. Good luck.