Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

It's Official...I'm an idiot!

SunGurl372
February 16th, 2006, 06:19 PM
So, I get home from work a bit late and in a bit of a hurry. Of course as soon as I get home, I obviously want to get Harley out to do her business.

Do I stop to take off the strappy sandals with the 3-inch heels that I wore to work today??? Of course not.

I know, I know, most of you are saying "Sandals?? In February???" But I live in Florida! It was in the 70s today!

Anyhoo...I pretty much took a header down the stairs from my 2nd floor apartment. Once I went down, it must have looked like I was trying to ski down on my knees. I'm just amazed that I caught myself before I went over completely head first...and let me tell you, it was close! Thank God Harley has decent recall because I dropped her leash on the way down, but she came right to me when I called.

So, between the impact and the pressure the ankle staps exerted in that position, I think I may have at the very least sprained my right ankle. Its been about an hour and a half, and I can barely walk on it.

I've taken ibuprofren and have been icing it off and on. Do you think I should wrap it???? I tried for a little while, and it hurt like hell, but if it will benefit me tomorrow...I'll grit my teeth and soldier on.

BMDLuver
February 16th, 2006, 06:25 PM
Definitely do not wrap it. Best thing to do is 20 on, 20 off with the ice. Then tomorrow, if the swelling has gone down, go ahead and wrap it. Personally, I tape but one of those flexiwrap bandages will do the trick as well.

I wear heels maybe once in a blue moon so I give you credit for being able to wear them at all!

SunGurl372
February 16th, 2006, 06:34 PM
I wear heels maybe once in a blue moon so I give you credit for being able to wear them at all!

I'm a bit of a high heeled shoe junkie. Can't bring myself to wear anything else at work. But on off time, you rarely find me in anything but a flip-flop. That probably has a lot to do with why I haven't completely shot the tendons in my ankles!

Guess I should have leaned towards the flip-flops today! :rolleyes:

Unfortunately I've no tape in the house. The only reason I even have a wrap is because I blew out my knee last year and had orthoscopic surgery.

I don't think I can wrap it anyway, it just caused the rest of my leg to throb unbearably!

Bad enough I couldn't take Harley for her evening stroll tonight...now I have to figure out how I'll get down the stairs for her "before bedtime" constitutional!

BMDLuver
February 16th, 2006, 06:43 PM
lol... I now have a mental image of you hopping down the stairs thudding away.

Prin
February 16th, 2006, 06:43 PM
That really sucks! Lucky you sort of caught yourself, or it might have been much worse. :eek: Hey, if you move to Canada for the rest of the winter, you can walk the doggy and ice your ankle at the same time! (Just wear your flip flops...)

If you do end up wrapping it, be sure to take everything off at night. We tend to swell up while we sleep and you could cut off your circulation.

PetFriendly
February 16th, 2006, 06:46 PM
You might also want to keep the foot elevated, no higher than your waist. It will help reduce the swelling, which in turn will help it heal.

Go down the stairs on your bum to avoid falling, when you go up, take one step at a time, good foot first, then bad foot, good foot first, then bad foot, etc.

SunGurl372
February 16th, 2006, 06:47 PM
lol... I now have a mental image of you hopping down the stairs thudding away.

LMAO...my mom said I could always just scootch down step by step on my rear!!!! How's that for a visual???? :p

Prin
February 16th, 2006, 06:48 PM
Go down the stairs on your bum to avoid falling, when you go up, take one step at a time, good foot first, then bad foot, good foot first, then bad foot, etc.
LOL At first, I thought this was a general tip so I was picturing perfectly healthy people bumming their way down the stairs...:D

SunGurl372
February 16th, 2006, 06:50 PM
That really sucks! Lucky you sort of caught yourself, or it might have been much worse.

No idea how I did catch it...I really thought I was going to keep heading down. Hard to describe, but imagine if you kneel down on the floor. I was in that position, on the stairs, knees lower than ankles. Very scary...

Hey, if you move to Canada for the rest of the winter, you can walk the doggy and ice your ankle at the same time! (Just wear your flip flops...)

LOL...no luck there! My boss can't even get me to consider moving to North Carolina! I'm too spoiled with the beaches and the weather!

SunGurl372
February 16th, 2006, 06:52 PM
You might also want to keep the foot elevated, no higher than your waist. It will help reduce the swelling, which in turn will help it heal.

Trust me I'm trying! I've got my foot propped up next to my computer while I gab, gab, gab away.

The hard part is my five year old monster who keeps driving me crazy!!! :crazy:

jesse's mommy
February 16th, 2006, 06:58 PM
LMAO...my mom said I could always just scootch down step by step on my rear!!!! How's that for a visual???? :p

I actually did that to go up and down my stairs at my apartment in Pittsburgh when I blew out my knee skiing during an ice storm (it was supposed to snow and ice came through instead). It was hard, took me a long time, but it was definitely the least painful!!!

SunGurl372
February 16th, 2006, 07:11 PM
I totally feel you, Jesse's Mom (you've got it going on!). :D

I was lucky enough to be able to stay with my folks for a couple of weeks after my surgery. The phsyical limitations were bad enough, throw some painkillers on top of that, and stairs are a very, very bad thing!

jesse's mommy
February 16th, 2006, 07:50 PM
This is why I moved to Florida -- to avoid the snow and ice!!!!

Anyway, I hope you feel better and just take your time with the stairs. Trust me, you are talking to someone who has been there! My injury triggered three operations! :eek: Just be careful. If it still feels bad and is still very swollen after about 24 hours, you might want to go to the doctors just to be sure you didn't chip anything in your ankle or even pull a ligament -- ouch!!

SunGurl372
February 16th, 2006, 08:06 PM
This is why I moved to Florida -- to avoid the snow and ice!!!!

Welcome to Paradise! The land of warm weather, sunshine and hurricanes!!! :p

SunGurl372
February 16th, 2006, 08:07 PM
OH! And the land of "dogs who won't stop shedding" because one day its in the 50's and the next you're pushing the upper 70's!!! :crazy:

jesse's mommy
February 16th, 2006, 08:08 PM
By the way, where in FL are you? We are just north of Orlando. About 35 minutes from Disney.

SunGurl372
February 16th, 2006, 08:10 PM
And I think I found a short-term cure for my ankle. Lots of ice, a couple ibuprofren and a couple of glasses of Merlot = things feel pretty good! :evil:

Of course, I won't be able to walk tomorrow but I'm pretty sure I can get Harley up and down the stairs tonight!

jesse's mommy
February 16th, 2006, 08:12 PM
I was on the vodka and cranberry juice cure when I busted my knee! :evil: We had some neighbors that felt sorry for me and they brought me a bottle. :D

Shamrock
February 16th, 2006, 08:20 PM
Sungurl, yikes... what a scary accident! Hope the morning will bring you some relief.
Flip-flops as 'soon" as you get in from now on!
High heels are hazardous to the health - for 'show only" when it comes right down to it. I have to admit that is one thing I miss since I stopped working.. the wearing of the pretty shoes.
These sensible shoes.. they're well.. so sensible.

My niece lives in Fla.. (Venice) and was just complaining to me the other day about the cold - in the 60's?
oh....brrrrrr..:)

jesse's mommy
February 16th, 2006, 08:24 PM
60s? Where I live it was in the low 30s! We had to put sheets over all of our plants.

SunGurl372
February 16th, 2006, 08:42 PM
I was on the vodka and cranberry juice cure when I busted my knee! :evil: We had some neighbors that felt sorry for me and they brought me a bottle. :D

Ooooh! Vodka and cranberry..yummy! Add a bit of pineapple juice in there and I'm in heaven! Even better, pineapple and coconut!!!

SunGurl372
February 16th, 2006, 08:48 PM
These sensible shoes.. they're well.. so sensible.

For the most part, I can't STAND sensible shoes anymore. Like I said, I'm a high shoe junkie...although not a Carrie Bradshaw by any means. I've bought most of my hundreds of pairs at Payless. I'm too rough on my shoes to buy the expensive ones!!!

Flip-flops now.. those are the other end of the spectrum that I love. I'm always looking for the next cute pair...embellished as much as possible!

Too funny about the temp differences...I get all kinds of grouchy when it dares to hit lows in the 20s!!!! Even if it means that we'll still hit the upper 60s by lunch! :D

CyberKitten
February 16th, 2006, 09:12 PM
Sorry to hear about your ankle but please don't take it lightly!!! I am suire it hurts but treating it correctly now will minimize future probs - and they do occur - for both broken and sprain joints! Elevate to the level of your chest and rest the injury as much as possible.

And yep, y an ice pack or a cold compress is the best thing to do ASAP! But do it 30 minutes on and 30 minutes off, for the first 48 to 72 hours. Ice causes blood vessels to constrict. When vessels are constricted, less swelling and bruising will occur. So all around, it will work better - heat does the opposite. (and works for chronic conditions much better, like arthrotis)

If you have a lot of pain (more than you can tolerate - am sure you know yiour own body) and the swelling is severe or even moiderate,call your doctor or go to the closest or best ER.

Also, there are some little things we tend not to think about. Check your toenail bed for blanching every 12 hours for the first three days. This will ensure that you have adequate circulation going to your foot. And as we all know, circulation is critical!! I have seen too many ppl think their ankle had managed to become better but in the meantime, their circvulation caused probs for them - and in some instances, serous complicatoons occured. It is rare but just be safe. You can also check the pulse in your foot. Lay the tips of your fingers on the top of your foot, right in the center, about 2 inches below the ankle. You should feel a bounding pulse. If you feel a weak, thready pulse, the circulation to your foot may be compromised. Call your doctor.

Look at your foot. Make sure it is not gray or bluish. This is a sign of poor circulation. Even though your ankle is sprained, the circulation to your foot should be sufficient to keep it looking pink.

Consult your doctor about taking acetaminophen or aspirin for pain. Never take more than eight tablets of any of that stuff in 24 hours. If you need more, it is a sign something is not right. Aleve is not the best for this. (Unles it is a chronic issue - and it has too many side effects and the most recent studies are not good!) ASA is best for joint pain since it is an anti inflamatory but it also causes stomach probs if not taken appropriately so take it with milk or something that will coat it. Don;t pay more for Bufferein (is that still on thge market in the USD - I can't rexall, lol) - it does not do any more. My dad takes 222's on my advice - there is a HUGE difference between generics and the real things 222's by Froost (not often I market for a drug co but this is a good med, aspirin really is a miracle med, and truly a natural herb if you think about it, from the willow bark!). I know you cannot get them in Fla without a script but if you are desperate, PM me - I know someone who can prescribe in the state but I do not advocate prescribing over the phone - you may be allergic to ASA and that doc would not know your medication history (what you are taking - ie other meds could cause more bleeding with ASA). But with 222's or the real Bayer ASA, the acid (anyone who hasd taken chem 100 - 1000, whatever surely had made this in the lab - it is one of thbe more fun experiements, lol) does not melt in your mouth, thius causing the probs for your stomnach - it has more ploymers so that it lasts longer - does not work as fast but is much safer!

Tylenol of course has its probs with liver and kidneys and is just not as good for this kind of pain.

Good luck!!

After the fitrst 3 days ios the time to bring on the heat. Apply warm compresses or a heating pad, 30 minutes on and 30 minutes off, after the first two to three days, or whatever your doc says - you may have other issueswe know nothing about.

If you want to walk on it, (after an appropriate rest repiod and if your doc says it is OK, say 1-3 days depending on how much damage has been done)wrap an elastic bandage around the ankle when you walk on it. Use a long, 2-to- 3-inch-wide bandage, and start wrapping 8 inches above the ankle. If you have any Ace bandagesm now is the time to use them. Think back to your first aid course from school, lol

I hope you feel better soon!! I have sprained my ankle on a few occaions and I'd have to say it is more annoying than anything since it intereferes with what you want to do!

btw, my parents have been complaining about the Fla weather now for weeks!!! My dad was in his underwear the other nite but they live in the Tampa area- if you are in the Miami area or the Keys,it may well be warmer. For them, 60''s is low now - not sure how they would survive Cdn winters any more, lol

SunGurl372
February 16th, 2006, 09:36 PM
CK - Thanks for all the advice! I'm seriously hoping that this will just resolve itself. Destructively optimistic I suppose. I'll figure out how I need to proceed in the morning. I'm sure I'll know how bad things are at that time.

btw, my parents have been complaining about the Fla weather now for weeks!!! My dad was in his underwear the other nite but they live in the Tampa area- if you are in the Miami area or the Keys,it may well be warmer. For them, 60''s is low now - not sure how they would survive Cdn winters any more, lol

Heck no, I'm in Jacksonville...very northern FLA. We had some lows in the 20's and 30's over the last few days, but overall this winter has been unseasonably warm, even for us! Quite a balmy winter indeed.

glasslass
February 20th, 2006, 01:14 AM
How is the ankle? Just checking!

SunGurl372
February 20th, 2006, 09:31 PM
Sorry I've been out of pocket for so long. Spent most of the weekend at my folks' house sitting on my butt. Had a hilarious time watching my technophobic mother play an XBox for the first time.

I went to the doctor on Friday afternoon after the swelling continued through the day. The x-rays were inconclusive. My doc's convinced I fractured one of the bones, but there's a vein that's running through the same area that is obscuring the pics a bit.

I caught all kinds of grief for my choice of shoes, not just for walking Harley in them but because I wear them at all. Doctors....they have no sense of fashion!!! :p

Doc's orders are to keep the ankle wrapped 24 hours a day for the next week, ice it a couple of times a day, and use the crutches I still have from knee surgery last year (same leg, of course). I suppose I'm a glutton for punishment, because I just can't bring myself to use them when I have no trouble or pain walking. Time will tell, I guess. I have to go back at the end of this week for a second set of x-rays.

BMDLuver
February 20th, 2006, 09:35 PM
ummmm... when you say no trouble walking does that mean you are wearing 3" heels again? :p