Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

ear infection treatment

wdawson
February 16th, 2006, 05:42 PM
went to the vet this morning for beathovens ear problem , seems that he has a moderate amount of cocci bacteria and small amount of yeast with no white blood cells(the blood cell thing has me confused , is this good or bad)vet only mentioned the bacteria and yeast and i only noticed the cell thing on the invoice , now they are closed:( .anyone know what this means?
but my main question is : does anyone have any tips or tricks for keeping a dog steady while pouring the cleaner into his ears , it took me and my daughter 3 hours to get the deed only half done , we have been trying for only 5-10 mins at a time, don't want to stress or make him scared of us going near hie ears.

Prin
February 16th, 2006, 07:54 PM
What are you putting in the ears? It's an anti-fungal/antibiotic, not a cleaner, right? I found out the hard way that you're not supposed to use any cleaner in infected ears because it stings badly (and can make your doggy afraid of you touching his ears).

Jemma gets Otomax and she loves it. She cringes when I take it out but when I put the long tubey thing in her ear, she opens her ear up more...:) Otomax is pretty soothing, from what my doggies have told me over the years... It's pretty expensive though...

The white blood cells would indicate an immune reaction, I guess. Like pus is white blood cells. So if there aren't any, there's no internal infection? Maybe? I'm not sure. (internal as in under the skin)

wdawson
February 16th, 2006, 08:04 PM
the clenser is from the vet and is called UBAVET ear clensing solution $22.00...as for the meds it is surolan it has a steroid in it put in ear twice daily for 14 days.

Prin
February 16th, 2006, 08:10 PM
hmmm.... I don't like steroids. Maybe I'm wrong, but steroids are supposed to alievate itching, right? They don't kill bacteria or fungi, so I don't know how the bacteria and fungi are supposed to die...:confused: Like I said, cleaning them with solution when they're infected hurts.

Prin
February 16th, 2006, 08:12 PM
Why is it when I search for UBAVET, all I get are UBAVET glucosamine supplements?:o

wdawson
February 16th, 2006, 08:15 PM
think i'm going to the vet my parents use asap......***** just paid $185.00 today:mad: oh well its only money.........my little monkey is worth more than a couple hundred bucks , such as life.

Prin
February 16th, 2006, 08:16 PM
Ok! I figured out what the surolan is. Yeah, Jemma was on that when we got her and it really wasn't working. I hadn't seen it before that and I hadn't ever used it, because her ears were so bad that I didn't see the point in continuing with something that wasn't effective. I grew up with otomax.. Brand loyalty, I guess.

Don't worry, it's an antifugal/antibiotic too.

Prin
February 16th, 2006, 08:20 PM
But what's the Ubavet? I still can't find anything...

For cleaning, I've used a couple and I like "VetSolutions" best. It seems to hurt the least (and it doesn't smell horrible).

wdawson
February 16th, 2006, 08:26 PM
seems that ubavet only makes this for a company in ireland called veterinary instruments and vet link ltd out of toronto

Prin
February 16th, 2006, 08:42 PM
Oh, ok... But it's not glucosamine, right?:D

You'd better get used to ear infections though. It seems once they get one, they tend to get them quite often the rest of their lives. I learned on my old lab who had chronic ear infections. The more you learn now, the more you can do on your own later (which costs less..).

wdawson
February 16th, 2006, 08:46 PM
uba.com has the product listed with ingredients listed........thanks for your help and input prin i'm thankfull there are members like you here.

thanks again:thumbs up

wdawson
February 16th, 2006, 08:50 PM
sorry..........ubavet.com

Prin
February 16th, 2006, 08:52 PM
heh heh.. I was feeling like I was jerking you around a little bit while I figured stuff out.:o I wish there was only one product- then we'd all know about it and there'd be no confusion..:D

After swimming or rolling in snow, be sure to clean the doggy's ears. That's when the infection starts (if it's not an allergy).

wdawson
February 16th, 2006, 09:00 PM
yea an allergy........great....trying to figure that out will be alot of fun for both of us.........thought the food he is on would really be good for him....solid gold hounden flocken puppy and merrick canned........well i think i will try and clear the ear thing up and then allergy tests are in order.

thanks again

Prin
February 16th, 2006, 09:04 PM
It might not be an allergy. It might just be his ears. If the ears don't vent easily, then they get moist inside. The dark, warm, moist environment is perfect for bacteria to grow in. It could have nothing to do with the food.

Jemma is allergic to wheat and when she gets some, she literally bleeds out of her ears. When she was on Euk before, I'd clean her ears every day, and the next day, they'd be worse than the last already. It was never ending and worsening. Oh and even now, without any allergies (we hope), one of her ears gets infected all the time and it's the one that's most closed.

Prin
February 16th, 2006, 09:06 PM
See her left ear? It's closed more than the right one, and one roll in the snow and it gets infected.

wdawson
February 16th, 2006, 09:19 PM
he does have droopy ears and i can see that moisture will stay in there...and with all the rain this winter well i can see that happening....when this clears i will be cleaning the ears weekly.....vet said this will dry the ears .

Prin
February 16th, 2006, 09:21 PM
Yep. The cleaner is supposed to help keep them dry. Don't pour it in the ears though. They used to say to do that, but that kills... They never shake it all out and the leftovers hurt.

He's such a cutie!:)

wdawson
February 16th, 2006, 09:28 PM
funny you say that..........vet said today.....fill the ear cavity with cleanser then massage the base of the ear then put him outside for 15min then put the drops in............i said can you show ne and he said thats when he loses fingers........lol for him. trying that is not gonna work with beathoven.

Prin
February 16th, 2006, 09:33 PM
I usually soak a kleenex or soft paper towel in the juice (paper towel doesn't fall apart as easily) and go in with my fingers... I leave the flushing to the vet... When he does it, he does it with diluted vinegar and a huge syringe, so he can send it in there with pressure. The pressure makes it come out after and not much stays in (it flies out everywhere as he does it). But he goes in with cotton balls afterward anyway.

Prin
February 16th, 2006, 09:35 PM
Oh and don't put the drops in till a couple of hours later. Apparently the ear is supposed to be as dry as possible when you put the drops in.:)

wdawson
February 16th, 2006, 09:42 PM
thanks for the advice prin.
i will post an update on this , but now it's time for round two of the daily treatments:eek: hope its not gonna take a couple hours again....lol

Prin
February 16th, 2006, 09:44 PM
Personally, right now, if they're really infected, I'd just put the drops in twice a day without cleaning for at least a week.

wdawson
February 16th, 2006, 09:50 PM
that was what i just did.........and was only a couple minutes with minimal fighting.........gonna clean on the weekend if it looks a little better...did get alot out today though.

Prin
February 16th, 2006, 10:00 PM
Try not to use the juice if you can avoid it (*while they're infected, I mean). You don't want your doggy to become afraid of ear treatments. I'd use a dry something (kleenex/paper towel/cotton) and just take out the major debris on the outer parts, but leave the rest of the work to the Surolan.

That's what I found works best when I do Jemma with the Otomax, anyway. When I use otomax, I don't use cleaner.