Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

When do i start command training my 8 week old Golden Retriever/ lab mix puppy???

jeannie00
February 16th, 2006, 03:35 PM
When should i start command training my puppy. She is 8 weeks old and is a golden retriever/black lab mix. Should i start now??? How should i go about it?? I know alot of people will tell the dog to do something and if she does it they give them a treat. But my puppy is soo young yet. shes not gonna listen or know that stuff yet. How should i go about training her, What are the steps in getting her to do it. FOr instance like the "sit" command. How do i get her to sit. Push on her butt and tell her to sit?? I know these are dumb questions, but Ive never been succesful in command training. I want my dog to be smart and obey my commands. Please someone help me learn to train her.

Rottielover
February 16th, 2006, 03:44 PM
yes I would start now. Also enroll her in puppy class after her vaccines. normally around 12 weeks. To get the to sit, take a tasty treat, ask her to sit, raise your hand above her head. Head up butt down. Get a book. dog training for dummies. A great read

LavenderRott
February 16th, 2006, 03:47 PM
Remembering that she is a baby and easily distracted - yes, you can start teaching her simple commands. DON'T do come yet!

In teaching commands, the trick is to be able to enforce them. For sit, wait until she is calm, have her standing in front of you and hold a slightly yummy treat in front of her and slightly over her head. She should naturally sit in her efforts to try and get the treat. As soon as her little hinney hits the floor, give her the treat and tell her how wonderful she is. You are, of course, saying sit to her while holding the treat.

As for come - she really needs to be comfortable on her leash before you attempt that. You need to be able to "reel" her in while telling her to come if she doesn't want to. Everytime you say the word "come" and she doesn't you are reinforcing to her that this is not something she HAS to do but something she CAN do if and when she feels like it.

tenderfoot
February 16th, 2006, 03:52 PM
Get started right away.
The 'dummies books' are great, but I will add that we have a DVD that will offer you so much understanding and information that I can't not tell you about it. It is 3 hours long and will show you how to work with your dog in a gentle and natural way, while also helping you to understand dogs and how important YOU are to raising a good one. I am not trying to push but the responses we get from people, including dog professionals, tells me that you might enjoy watching someone working with a dog and it could make more sense to you than reading about 'how' to do something. Only because you sound so lost at times that I think it could help.
Otherwise, getting yourself into a good class with a supportive trainer will work wonders too. Its just that your little guy could be learning so much right now and it would be best to get started as soon as you can.
No matter what find a good source of help and get started. Coming to Pets.ca was a great first step! :highfive:

StaceyB
February 16th, 2006, 04:28 PM
I guess we were thinking the same thing. I posted a reply to this question on the other thread.

rosebury29
February 16th, 2006, 07:51 PM
We got our boy at 10 weeks and I started command training, crate training and behaviour training right away.
He learned to sit in a day or two. Hold the treat up above him until he sits and tell him 'good sit' with lot's of enthusiasm. Repetition.
Shake a paw was quick too and the come/stay took a bit longer but we now have it so down pat that I can hold a piece of delicious chicken in front of his face after telling him to stay and he will NOT touch it until I say he can.
They learn so fast.
Stacey