Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Scaling your pets teeth

Speedy's Mom
February 16th, 2006, 02:54 PM
Does anyone here scale their dogs teeth? I know you can buy the scalers thorough Petsmart and other pet care stores. If you do scale at home, how often do you do it?

We have a three year old chi mix we rescued in August and on his six month check up the vet informed us of some tartar build up on his teeth. I am afraid of putting him under anesthesia to have his teeth cleaned and would prefer to do it myself at home if possible. I already brush his teeth daily and he does fine.

Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated. All comments are welcomed.

Prin
February 16th, 2006, 03:30 PM
Once in a while, if there's an easy to reach chunk, I pick it off with my nail. Otherwise, I give them a good hoof (or maybe a raw bone, but I haven't tried that yet) to chew on for a little bit. My dad tried to get some second hand dentist equipment (just the manual stuff) from our dentist but by the end of the appt, both had forgotten and my dad left empty handed by accident...

Beaglemom
February 16th, 2006, 04:10 PM
Most animals will not stand to have their teeth scaled. They just don't like the way that it feels. Also, if you do it yourself, you may not be able to get all of it with a wriggling pet, especially at or under the gumline and the very back teeth where the problems usually are.

I understand your concerns about aenesthesia, I feel the same way everytime my pets have had to go in for some proceedure that required them to be aenestesized. It is pretty safe now a days though. They are very closely monitored.

Speedy's Mom
February 17th, 2006, 04:00 PM
Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it. I love this forum as everyone is great on here. I did purchase a scaler for $5.00 (Petsmart and Dr. Foster and Smith web sites both carry them) and will try it when it arrives. However, if Speedy is apprehensive or I can't bring myself to trying it I will reconsider. His health and safety are my first concern. I just wish I could find a vet who could do some manual scaling without the anesthesia.

Thanks again!