Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Should I breed my dog with anything

Junkyard Jen
November 11th, 2003, 10:16 PM
My dog seems to be getting more frisky lately, we tried to breed him with a similar breed but he didn't have much interest, now you can't keep him in the house for more than an hour without him whining to get out. Is it better to breed with similar dogs or just anything. He's rottweiler/pitbull mix so was the one I tried breeding him with but he seemed to be confused and uninterested now I wanna know if it's a bad idea to let him breed with another dog are there any breeds that don't mix with rottweiler/pitbull? :confused:

Lucky Rescue
November 12th, 2003, 01:18 AM
Why on earth do you want to breed your mixed breed dog? For what reason? Very very bad idea!

The shelters are packed with unwanted dogs - many of them beautiful purebreds. Millions are killed every year.

Please, get your dog neutered and congratulate yourself for not adding to the slaughter.

Carina
November 12th, 2003, 04:28 AM
Hi Jen, I would get your dog neutered - it sounds like he's frustrated - every time he smells a female in heat (and he can smell one for miles) he will get upset.

Please please don't breed him! Both breeds he's mixed with have innumerable health and temperament problems due to poor breeding. The vast majority - I'd say over 95% - of purebred Rottweilers should not be bred, the breed has become so ruined by sloppy breeding it is just tragic.

Last time I looked there were almost 3,000 unwanted Rottweilers on Petfinder. There are at least ten times that many waiting to die in shelters every day. I went to a small shelter - 60 dog capacity - to get my little female. The day I was there, she was one of seven Rotties in cages. And she had been there almost 8 weeks, her time was about up. Two of the Rotties were already in the holding area about to be killed. I imagine it's even worse with pitbulls, and mixes don't stand much of a chance at all.

Definitely - do the right thing, neuter your dog (he will be much happier and the only thing about his temperament that will change is he won't be worked up about females) and be proud of yourself for not contributing to the terrible overpopulation problem.

Thank you. :)

PS: I have read that less than 10% of all puppies that go home with new owners actually remain with that family forever. The rest are allowed to breed and get dumped in shelters, usually when they are adolescents and having behaviour issues. Don't ever kid yourself that you've found "good homes" for any litter of puppies. It does NOT happen.

melanie
November 12th, 2003, 03:57 PM
I agree with you guys on the whole dog pound, dumped dogs and the rest but I must say that I dont agree with what lucky rescue said about not breeding mixed breed dogs (not all of us are breeding to make money or better show dogs)? sounds a little on the arrogant side, hey im a mixed breed human and will probably breed with a mixed breed human. my shephard X is better that any pure breed dog i have ever met and is an individual, she doesnt look like all the other dogs. I dont think a dogs pedagree is the important part, my dog is a real spunk in my eyes and im sure her pups would have been too, having a mixed breed i have avoided most of the predisposed genetic problems of many pure breeds such as hip displasia in Shepherds. maybe the improtant part should be wether the pups will be suitably housed, going to good homes, ect. but seeing as you have the male (the females owners probably deal with pups) these factors may be out of your control.
But Carina is definatly right about genetic problems of the breeds of the dog.

Carina
November 12th, 2003, 04:04 PM
No, there is nothing wrong with breeding mixed breed dogs in general - I've had some wonderful mutts in my life! I just lost one of the greatest at age 15, about 3 months ago.

But the problem is, there are SO many unwanted dogs in shelters - and they get killed, picked up, managed, etc at taxpayers expense every day. Which sort of makes it everyone's problem. If there was a moratorium on breeding ANYTHING for several years, it would probably make a huge difference!

Actually there's a county in California (Marin, I think) which did such an aggressive pet overpopulation campaign that they almost eliminated the need for a shelter! I think there's parts of Vermont like that too, I read that some people there were actually going to Canada and neigboring states lookingfor adult dogs to take in. So it's possible....that's why people like Lucky and I keep nagging... ;)

Luba
November 12th, 2003, 04:09 PM
This is an interesting topic, how come I didn't notice it before?

I couldn't care if I had a mutt or purebread

BUT I wouldn't recommend a 'deliberate' breeding of mutts, for what purpose?

You see it may be difficult to find them loving homes. And yes, so many of these lovely dogs are in shelters, pounds, and labs being used for testing purposes.

God Bless the MUTTS!!

LOL

Lucky Rescue
November 12th, 2003, 06:11 PM
I agree with you guys on the whole dog pound, dumped dogs and the rest but I must say that I dont agree with what lucky rescue said about not breeding mixed breed dogs (not all of us are breeding to make money or better show dogs)? sounds a little on the arrogant side, hey im a mixed breed human and will probably breed with a mixed breed human. my shephard X is better that any pure breed dog i have ever met and is an individual, she doesnt look like all the other dogs.

I'm afraid you are not understanding what I'm saying. It has nothing to do with "arrogance"! Every dog I've had til now has been a mixed breed. My last dog was a GSD/collie something, and a fabulous dog - but I would not BREED him!

To reiterate - gorgeous purebreds and mixed breeds are dying in unprecedented numbers in shelters and pounds. There is absolutely NO justification to breeding mixed breed or purebred dogs for any reason other than the betterment of the breed UNTIL there are no more dogs dying in shelters and being dumped on the roadside.

Anyone who is breeding solely to create pets is an irresponsible backyard breeder who is contributing to the deaths of animals. How anyone can justify producing yet more dogs or cats I cannot understand. My dog is a beautiful purebred, but I would never consider breeding her because I love the breed too much, and there are TOO MANY DOGS BEING BRED and not nearly enough homes.

Do you know anything about pit/rott crosses? I do, and I know that most of them end up in the cooler at the shelter. Of all the many mixes, this is one of the most undesirable for a lot of reasons.

Arrogance? Not really - I've usually got a houseful of dumped, feral, parasite-ridden kittens and/or pregnant cats. Nary a purebred among them.;)

melanie
November 12th, 2003, 06:33 PM
sorry luckyrescue im not being rude but one can only interperate what one reads. and Carina that is the greatest idea i have ever heard, just a ban for a while could control a very out of control situation. But wouldnt it be acceptable to breed (responsibly) a mix that had certain characteristics or talents, i understand that this is not a guarentee for the puppies to be the same but a pretty good start. i have a friend that breeds a mix of cattle dog and something else. these dogs have proven to be fantastic cattle dogs and now my friends have a whole family of these dogs with ranging generations and the dogs are also sold to other farms. In australia we have helper dogs, hearing dogs,companion dogs for the elderly, drug dogs, bomb dogs ect. alot of these dogs are not pure breed but perform fantastic jobs and roles within our society and wouldnt breeding these type of dogs better the canine race. i dont think it should be a question of breed or pedagree but weather the dog is wanted or needed in society and has a responsible breeder. But sadly dogs will always be abandoned and killed that is just the disposable nature of much of human society. if humans kill humans and perform all manner of atrocities on each other what hope is there for the animals of the world. (sorry for being the boring old pesimist). But just to note i have never breed my mixed girl as i could never bear to give away the puppies as i wouldnt want to hurt my girls feelings and they would be like my grandchildren..:D

Luba
November 12th, 2003, 07:02 PM
So Melanie

It just sounds like maybe you love your doggie so much you wouldn't mind making more just cloning HAHA!

I did think of that with my Mutt Terrier X but wouldn't do it, just a good thought to have the same temperment etc...

It is a shame though, on the opposite ends of the spectrum - where pure's are having litters after litters by irresponsible dorks if you will.

What saddens me the most, is seeing all the Pit's in the shelters here, most of them are from idiots that used them for protection while they dealt drugs or for fighting.

I see them trying to make their dogs more aggressive, by getting them to jump up to a tree branch and lock their jaws on it, dangling their all fours in the air.

GOSH that irritates me!

Enough said by me

Lucky Rescue
November 12th, 2003, 08:02 PM
i have a friend that breeds a mix of cattle dog and something else. these dogs have proven to be fantastic cattle dogs and now my friends have a whole family of these dogs with ranging generations and the dogs are also sold to other farms.

This is something quite different - these are working dogs with important jobs to do. Not what I am referring to.

I'm talking about people who have "Ooops" litters, or breed their dog because "she is so cute" and their friends want puppies, or they have two dogs of the same breed and think they'll make a few bucks.

Oh, Luba - letting pit bulls do that does not make them aggressive - it's something they LOVE doing - mine loves it too!:)

Luba
November 12th, 2003, 08:17 PM
Really LR

I would have thought it would :(
Sorry for my misunderstanding then
To me it looks like their teaching them to lock on
harder..and it frightens me because if its
a dog with a bad temperment or the wrong owner...
well then in a bad situation that could be serious injury
to another dog or human

BUT as I said, I am sorry if I misunderstood
Yu are a great mama to ur doggie
but lots of knobs aren't

wink, doggie sniffs

Carina
November 12th, 2003, 08:27 PM
I don't know about Australia (I love the international interaction on the internet!) but here quite often drug & bomb dogs are taken from shelters...and copmapnion or therapy dogs are quite often just mutts :) or dogs with suitable temperaments.

And while I see your point about breeding dogs for things like herding - well, there are already a number of breeds that have been developed over decades, if not centuries for herding and flock protection and such.

Maybe overpopulation isn't the problem in some other countries like here. I grew up in Europe - I still have family there - and in the UK there certainly isn't the problem we have here. So maybe we're a little more sensitive about it. As a side note, my mother has sheep and a wonderful Border collie to work them. Apart from family mutts, we always had a BC in the house too. :)

Luba - my Rottie Dutch LOVES to "fight" with tires; I actually have one hanging from a tree in my yard! And - well he is a tad aggressive, but I got him that way. He's a lot better than he used to be though. :)

How pitbulls are trained for fighting is another reason it's not a good idea to advertise free pets... :(

melanie
November 12th, 2003, 11:53 PM
it breaks my heart to hear of a dog being used like that, just want to cry. pit bulls and the like are banned in Austalia (where we live) so you very rarely see them (their owners hid them or just mix the breed so its hard to tell) any dog of that breed are killed here but we still have staffiture terriers (sorry for the spelling) and those type of breeds. the reason they were banned was that they are considered a threat to safety (I didnt say this the government did, we have had plenty of little kiddies chewed by these breeds).
but it brings me back to that whole thing of it is never the dogs fault but the owners for their training ect. its hard to tell. and luba, if the cloning techniques were perfected to include the dogs personality not just looks it would be hard not to clone her, i just love her so much and want her to be here forever, she is my little (sortof) baby and the joy of my life, i am always telling her that she is 'my one constant in a world of variables' (better put in that my husband is rather nice to) but she is my gem.

Luba
November 13th, 2003, 08:06 AM
To Breed or not to breed that is the question

LOL

Jenn216
December 2nd, 2003, 11:23 AM
Junkyard Jen You know he is your dog and if you want to breed him you should. I own a lab/rottweiler and I love him with all my heart he is neutered and I wish he wasn't it is hard to explain his behavior because of him never having his parts. I think rottweilers and pitbulls are great dogs where I live they are two of the most owned dogs. In fact my neighbor owns about 7 pittbulls. Yes they can be aggressive but if you raise they right they will be a perfect dog. My brother owns a pittbull/boxer and she is one of the most gorgeous dogs I have ever seen. I think that any dog would be a great choice but another rottie or pitt,boxer,or lab would be a great dog. Me personlly I would would want one of your puppies beacuse my boyfriend wants one mixed with any of them. They are so much fun to have around. Mixed breeds are the best dogs. The only purebreed I myself would own is a golden retriever.

Luba
December 2nd, 2003, 11:46 AM
Ya why don't we all just go breed our dogs

Hey LR and Carina and Murphy's Mom come on over to my place we'll have a big hump fest with Honey.

She'll have loads and loads of puppies and nurse them until she's 10...then oh wait uh did anyone think about where all these dogs are gonna go.

Well now, I dont' want 12 puppies, not even one more so LR, Carina, Murphy's mom can you take them all with you????

Sheesh I never thought about where they would live I just thought it would be fun to watch the dogs latch on and give birth and nurse and see all the cute little puppies.

You mean they actually have to have homes afterwards? We can't just shove them back in?????

Hmmmmn

Luba
(sarcasm mode)

mona_b
December 2nd, 2003, 11:59 AM
Sorry but my answer is have him fixed.There are way to many puppies out there that end up in shelters.And there is just so much interbreeding going on.I was in our local shelter (dropping off newspapers)and 4 dogs in there were pitt crosses.And there were 2 pit pups.One of the dogs was adopted but brought back 2 weeks later.To many puppies are brought into this world only to be destroyed or brought to a shelter.That is just not fair.Look what goes on in these puppy mills.Mothers and sons.Brothers and sisters.SICK.And those who sell purebreds without papers.Under the Canadian and the American Kennel Club act,it is illegal.They are not registered breeders.If the parents are registered,it is the law to have the pups registered.I have been a member of the CKC for 20 years.And I own 2 beautiful German Shepherds.Registered with papers.So please buyers beware.And for those people you see selling there pekapoos or shnoodles for $400 or $500,they are in it for the money.

Carina
December 2nd, 2003, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Luba
You mean they actually have to have homes afterwards? We can't just shove them back in?????

Hmmmmn

Luba
(sarcasm mode)

ROTFLMAO!!
:D :D :D :D

"And for those people you see selling there pekapoos or shnoodles for $400 or $500,they are in it for the money."

Ain't that the truth. Around here it seems all someone has to do is breed two dogs together and give them a "cute" name - Goldendoodle, Aireweiler, Labradoodle (I am not making these up) and people will buy them for MORE than an actual "purebred" puppy. :rolleyes:
Honestly, it sounds mean but true, but there a lot of totally stupid people out there...

topaz_n29
March 3rd, 2005, 09:31 AM
Just want to say..I have had all different kinds of breeds.Mixed, pure etc. I have had all my dogs neutered at 7mos. We live on 160 acres of all forrest
land. I had a purebred reg. yellow lab..no one wanted because as a puppy he had a herniated belly button..which was fixed when he was neutered.
a white boxer..which was supposed to be put to sleep because the breeder was told White was unacceptable by the breeding association.
I chose not to breed any of my dogs..I have a Rottie/shep he is wonderful.
Good w/my gr. daughters (but never ever left alone w/him)
A purebred Maltese ..a Poodle/terrier..and our new baby a 7 week Shih Tzu/terrier. Unless the puppies can be assured a good home..and i mean by people u know..I would have the dog neutered or spayed..Thx for listening. :)

mastifflover
March 3rd, 2005, 09:49 AM
Topaz your place sounds like fun I love white boxers and we love responsible owners here as well

BMDLuver
March 3rd, 2005, 09:49 AM
so not in the mood today!

mastifflover
March 3rd, 2005, 09:53 AM
Chill BMD it is an old thread I thought here we go again duck for cover

CyberKitten
March 3rd, 2005, 09:56 AM
It is noon hour which means I am supposed to be meeting someone for lunch but I thought I'd check here first. I was not going to reply to this BUT I have to reply to Melanie's comment about arrangance. I don't think reputable breeders who raise and breed (spending thousands of dollars in the process) specific species of dogs are arragant. They simply love the breed and truteh be told, the whole show thing (It is a sub culture if you ask me :) )

It is however arragant to indiscriminately breed a dog with no thought given to the costs in the future, bringing unwanted puppies into the world and concern for the health of the dog. You always have to be prepared for vet bills - most births are easy but there is always the chance one won't be.

These breeders know the entire history of the breed and so can breed only the healthy ones that meet the standard.

I know that sounds a lot like eugenics and our human minds (at least mine anyway) want to scream "all dogs are great" but in terms of breeding, one cannot think along those lines.

I really see no difference - on a peronal note - between a mixed breed and a purebred in terms of intelligence and other factors but I just do not think people who do it for the right reasons can be labelled arragant. I do worry about backyard breeders and that covers sooo many people. Please do NOT breed your dog JYJen. I am sure she is a wonderful dog but don't risk her health and the lives of her puppies by breeding her.

happycats
March 3rd, 2005, 10:05 AM
Ya why don't we all just go breed our dogs

Hey LR and Carina and Murphy's Mom come on over to my place we'll have a big hump fest with Honey.

She'll have loads and loads of puppies and nurse them until she's 10...then oh wait uh did anyone think about where all these dogs are gonna go.

Well now, I dont' want 12 puppies, not even one more so LR, Carina, Murphy's mom can you take them all with you????

Sheesh I never thought about where they would live I just thought it would be fun to watch the dogs latch on and give birth and nurse and see all the cute little puppies.

Hmmmmn

Luba
(sarcasm mode)

LUBA. LMAO,
i can't stop shaking my head when I read these posts, are they for real (both jens) or are they just trolling?? Are people really that ignorant ??

I see nothing "arrogant" about what Luckyrescue said either. (her name is "Luckyrescue for a reason) she rescues all the unwanted dogs that you ignorant people keep breeding !!!!!!

( :o Sorry, these posts just irk me so much!!)

sammiec
March 3rd, 2005, 10:08 AM
Breed you dog with a stuffed animal. LOL - Even though the OP hasn't been here since November 11 2003!

happycats
March 3rd, 2005, 10:10 AM
This thread is from 2003!!!

OMG Sammie, I got all worked up for nothing :eek:
My poor blood presure !! :sick: :rolleyes:

happycats
March 3rd, 2005, 10:15 AM
Someone, Quick, please pass me a drink!!! :evil:

My nerves !!!!
:crazy: :crazy: :eek:

Copper'sMom
March 3rd, 2005, 10:53 AM
I'm disgusted. :mad:

sammiec
March 3rd, 2005, 10:59 AM
LMAO! OMG Happycat! Are you having a relapse? Remember, this thread is over a year old!!!

doggy lover
March 3rd, 2005, 03:57 PM
See me I'm a purebred but I look like no other, I'm hansome to boot. Oh why did my mummy fix me? Please get your dog fixed.