Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

dogs nose colour

eskie owner
November 11th, 2003, 09:23 PM
We have an Standard American Eskimo that is 3-4 years old.

When we got him from the pound 2 years ago his nose was black.

It is now a brownish pink colour. Wy is it changing colour?

Is he missing something in his diet?

Luba
November 11th, 2003, 09:58 PM
Not sure about that breed but some of them will change from when they are pups to adult dogs

Carina
November 12th, 2003, 05:34 AM
There is a condition called "winter nose" where the nose gets lighter in winter, though sometimes it can be a bit discoloured year 'round. It is completely harmless.

One of my Rottweilers gets this, in winter it looks like he has a brown stripe going down the middle of his nose!

That's just one possibility - if it really worries you or there's some irritation then you could see your vet. It's unlikely it's anything to do with diet.

Bueller's Mommy
November 12th, 2003, 10:23 AM
When we first got our beagle pup, he had a pink nose with two black spots. After a year or so, his nose turned almost completely black. The vet said there was nothing unusual about that, he just grew into his nose.;)

melanie
November 12th, 2003, 04:35 PM
funny, i posted this question about 3 months ago and got no reply, luck of the draw i suppose. so a couple of months ago I went to see my vet (about this problem) as my dog (7yo shep X) had a full black nose and it has progressivly gotten brown/pink color in some spots. the vet explained that it was an age related problem (does not affect all dogs). as she gets older the nose will lose most pigment, she started to lose black color in the nose at around 4 or 5yo . as long as there are no suspicious looking lumps or sores on the nose it is nothing to worry about, but get the vet to check on the next visit. although a little doggy sunscreen in summer is now needed for added protection.:D

Carina
November 12th, 2003, 04:44 PM
Now that's interesting! My vet was the one that told me about this winter nose thing (I looked it up on the internet afterwards too.) But it could also be age...my Rottie with the light nose is about five - middleaged for a big dog - and is just starting to get white hairs on his chinny chin chin. :)

I haven't had this dog since he was young, so I have no idea if its been progressing or not. I first noticed it last winter, and we've had him since July '02.

melanie
November 12th, 2003, 07:40 PM
well maybe there are a couple of reasons for it, my mum mentioned winter nose that our golden retriever used to get, she thinks it was a lack of exposure to sun/UV in the winter months that caused it and says that the nose returned to normal after winter.. i dont know, i just know that with my girl the pigment just keeps fading without seasonal influence and will continue to fade.. maybe it is a breed thing to, maybe some breeds do it for diff reasons. But dont forget that doggy sunscreen........:D

Carina
November 12th, 2003, 09:29 PM
Funny, I read that Goldens were more prone to the "winter nose" thing.
Suntan lotion, ha! I bet it would get licked off in minutes. :p

melanie
November 13th, 2003, 12:39 AM
It is not actually suntan lotion but a specifically formulated sunscreen product (SPF30+) for dogs. it is non toxic and very handy the product i use is called Sunstop Animal Sunscreen. dogs with brown, blue, mottled noses ect. are very prone to cancers on the nose (black noses are safe). We live in Australia where summer weather conditions are often extreme (temperatures of 35+ are not uncommon) and our geographic position places us close to the ozone hole which increases radiation levels of UV rays. the Sunstop product is bitter in taste and the dog doesnt lick it (not my dog or others i know) the taste was designed for this purpose, these products are very widly used in Australia and reccomended by all vets and well advertised. i have also been told by leading vets that a black non toxic texta can be used to color the dogs nose for protection also, so yes a bit of doggy sunscreen on the nose that is changing color would give the animal added protection. there are plenty of web sites that offer information about this problem and products.:D

Luba
November 13th, 2003, 09:09 AM
I remember when I was a kid, our neighbour had a sheppard cross (with I have no idea what)

The dog's nose was half pink have dark brown was so cute, I think maybe it was dalmation cross who knows.

Cold nose on the back in the morning to wake you up for WALKIES never hurt nobody

HAHA

infopocket
November 29th, 2004, 01:53 AM
Yeah, I have a *red* toy poodle who when we got him (at 3 months) had a black nose. About a couple months ago, his nose started turning pinkish brownish. It still appears black, but if you're close enough you can tell it's a little brownish red. The other issue is that RED poodles have black noses, and APRICOT poodles have brown noses but we are sure that he is a RED because we got him a purebred from a certified breeder. According to the other posts, this is "winter nose"?