Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog treats killed our pets

catsnatcher-CDN
February 15th, 2006, 11:42 AM
KANSAS CITY, Missouri (CNN) -- At least 13 dogs have died after being fed the top-selling pet treat in the country, owners and veterinarians have told CNN.

The problem comes because the treats, called Greenies, become lodged in a dog's esophagus or intestine and then some veterinarians say they don't break down.

http://edition.cnn.com/2006/US/02/14/dangerous.dogtreat/index.html

Frenchy
February 15th, 2006, 12:24 PM
I give greenies once a month to my dogs,nothing ever happened but I think I'll stop just to be safe!

StaceyB
February 15th, 2006, 12:49 PM
Watch the video that is attached to this article.

jesse's mommy
February 15th, 2006, 12:53 PM
Jesse spit one up the other day on the floor. We will not be giving these to her any longer either!!

gomez
February 15th, 2006, 02:03 PM
Gomez got a greenie ONCE - and 3 days later he spat it up mostly intact...

Never again with those things!

catsnatcher-CDN
February 15th, 2006, 02:09 PM
I bought one for Max once and he threw it up within a few hours. I never bought it again either.

Writing4Fun
February 15th, 2006, 02:28 PM
I requested a free sample for Phoebe once. She refused to even take it from me. My little girl is somewhat picky about her treats. :rolleyes:

chico2
February 15th, 2006, 02:33 PM
Definitely watch the video,it's sad but not gory.
If I had a dog,I would never take a chance on Greenies:sad:

StaceyB
February 15th, 2006, 02:43 PM
I never bought them because I thought they were too expensive for what you got.

Cathy1
February 15th, 2006, 02:51 PM
I never bought them either because I heard of the problem. There is more information on burtscause.com. They are the ones who started the lawsuit.

joeysmama
February 15th, 2006, 03:21 PM
Someone came to our yard sale last year with two Brussels Griffons and they told us that the one had to have serious and expensive surgery because of a greenie that lodged in his esophogus.

lezzpezz
February 15th, 2006, 03:24 PM
I just got this from a friend and thought I would share, seeing as we are on the topic:

Dear Animal Lover Friends.....I saw this show on CNN tonight. They have found many,many dogs have died after eating these "Greeenies" treats !! They do not break down and remain in the bowel causing an obstruction and- a very painful death or a painful surgery !! The company owner and THEIR Vet says--it's a small number compared to all those who benefit fron clean teeth !!!!!! They do not seem too interested in the distraught owners shown on the program whose dear pets suffered greatly before dying !!!

Hope you think about this before your give your furbaby any more of these deadly treats.

Thanks for caing...

*Sent: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 9:46 PM*
*GREENIES*
*There was a report on the news this evening about the Greenies, and an
interview with the founder. They told how many dogs had died, and
actually had an interview with one vet that had to operate on a dog with
some problems. He pulled out a "Greenie" that had never dissolved, and
had been laying in this dog for better than two years. The dog was
lucky it was not lodged wrong. The vet stated it was as hard as when
they bought it. They do not break down. They are extremely dangerous. *
*The founder claims thy are healthy and good for dogs. There is no way
he intends to remove them, as he is getting rich. The animals do not
matter to him. *
*REACHABLESTARR RESCUE
ANIMAL RESCUE AND RESCUE RESOURCES*
*Go Here to Feed the Animals Free
**http://www.animalrescuesite.com/*

divinecalamity
February 15th, 2006, 03:41 PM
I have never given them to my dogs however, I have given the cat "greenies"....I threw out the pkg so that is what I am sure they are...to my kitties...they seem to be made different..has anyone heard anything about those? I would imagine those edible nylabones would cause the same issue in dogs then? as they are compressed vegetable products? or am I wrong...

joeysmama
February 15th, 2006, 04:52 PM
The Nylabones get soft and gummy when Cooper gnaws on them. Once in a while I'll see him stop and chew a piece that he got off the bone but it seems to be a totally different composition.

But if anyone knows anything different I'd appreciate knowing. These are the only bones, or chew treats, that I've allowed him to have. His other treats are just soft tidbits like "pounce."

Nylabones ok????

Joey.E.CockersMommy
February 15th, 2006, 04:56 PM
I haven't tried the greenies either. After seeing this I dont think I will either. I'll just continue to attempt to bush Joeys teeth on my own and give him carrots.

cpietra16
February 15th, 2006, 05:45 PM
I would rather brush Winnie's teeth the old fashion way. I would rather have a dog that is living with bad breath and yellow teeth than a dead dog with pearly whites.

CyberKitten
February 15th, 2006, 05:55 PM
I just take the time to brush too - I saw the CNN account. How awful for those who lost their dogs!

skatewest
February 24th, 2006, 11:04 PM
This thread on Greenies is timely. I just about lost one of my Westies last March when he swallowed the last of the Greenies I'd given him. I'd followed the instructions and given him the right size for his weight and watched him closely while he chewed it. I immediately took him to the vet when I realized he'd swallowed the end bit - literally 1/2 hour after he finished chewing. I believe that saved him. He ended up at the vet's for 3 days, had emergency surgery and came home on three meds and special food. And a $1500 bill.

DON'T FEED GREENIES!

And help to spread the word. I had no idea they were dangerous when I gave it to him AND I followed the company's direction. Boycott stores that sell them and tell everyone you now.

He is almost 11 years old now, has epilepsy and is on Phenobarbitol. He really didn't need to have a blockage of his esophagus, too.

Thanks for reading.

Christina (and Fergus)

Prin
February 25th, 2006, 01:57 AM
I'm sorry for your troubles Christina. It really sucks when these things happen to you personally. I'm glad your dog recovered though.

I've given my dogs greenies and they were always good to chew them really well, but even so, their stool still had chunks of undigested greenie in it. If it goes right through them, what's the point? And they weren't too excited about them either. Name one dog who will jump for joy at the thought of chlorophyll.:rolleyes:

wdawson
February 25th, 2006, 11:51 AM
i have never tried them and never will , i chuckle when i see them on the counter at the pet store , who would pay that much for that crap , i think if you feed good food and give them i nice meaty bone the the teeth should be fine , as for bad breath...who really cares.....not like we make out with our babies.......well all that much anyway:D

babyrocky1
February 25th, 2006, 06:23 PM
Yikes Rocky had his first Greeny this week, he quite liked it and I was going to get him more! sorry for what you and your baby had to go through Christina, thanks for the warning!

Shaykeija
February 27th, 2006, 02:41 AM
Sophie and Missie ate these all time. Sophie swallowed one whole. I was lucky she barfed it up 2 days later still intact and hard. I called the company and they said in 80 % of the dogs it was fine. I told them until they correct this bad product I will not be purchasing this stuff again. They offered me greenies for my cat. The guy would need a proctologist to get it out of where I told him to stick it. I can hardly wait until they get their colons sued off...:evil:

joanna
February 28th, 2006, 02:43 AM
hmm.. lol my previous picture was way too big.... and I just realized that I did not have to delete the message to edit picture size... oh geez I feel like an idiot... LOL .... let's see if this is better..
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyhow.. I can't believe I fed him this thing...
Should I be worried about that? Will I be looking out for clogged intestine in the near future??

I can't imagine losing a dog to treats... that's horrible..
I threw out the remaining greenies in our house..

Too bad...
royce loved them