Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pet store great danes... BOOOOooooooooo :(

Prin
February 14th, 2006, 09:58 PM
My boyfriend wandered into the new umm... "Domestic animal-not ocean" (not slander, right?!) that opened near our video store and saw two white danes with grey patches with blue eyes. $1000 each.

I don't think I have to explain this rant. You all know what I mean right? :mad: Soooo many bad things. So many.

mastifflover
February 14th, 2006, 11:15 PM
We, won't even go there Prin, bad girl. Maybe they will go bankrupt they already are morally

poodletalk
February 15th, 2006, 05:46 AM
I guess eventually some Montreal rescues or SPCA'S will have white great danes with blue eyes available for adoption...................

BMDLuver
February 15th, 2006, 06:02 AM
White great dane, blue eyes... could be deaf. Poor little one's. Hope they aren't for their sake. They'll be even more disposable then.

coppperbelle
February 15th, 2006, 07:53 AM
A few weeks ago someone I know was telling me that they were going to get a dog. I told them about rescues and warned against buying any dog from a pet shop or puppy mill.
Yesterday I met the person again and she proudly told me she bought one of those designer breeds and that they were suppose to be good with kids. I was so angry inside that I just burst out and said, "you never know what kind of personality you will get with a mixed breed". I immediately felt bad but it just came out. She then told me she bought the biggest male the "breeder" had. After speaking to her longer I found out the puppy is pooping in his crate and rolling in it. I asked if she saw the kennel the puppy was in when she bought it and if the puppy was dirty. She told me the puppy had been hosed off before they got there. I said you have a problem there that I don't know how to fix. Dogs do not usually lie where they poop but this pup is rolling in it.

I am giving this pup about 4 months and will surely find out it has been given up.

My niece is a journalist and sometimes writes freelance for the Gazette. I told her she had to do an article on pet shops and puppy mills. Hopefully one day she will be looking for a subject and will think of me.

poodletalk
February 15th, 2006, 08:11 AM
"you never know what kind of personality you will get with a mixed breed"

I only had mixed breeds all my life, they were all sweet and loveable. I think you should be mad at your friend from buying from a petshop or a backyard breeder. Not because she and her family decide on a mixed breed.

Prin
February 15th, 2006, 08:19 AM
I see what Coppper means. They were sold a dog after being told it would have this quality and that quality, which is impossible to say, really, about a mutt.

mastifflover
February 15th, 2006, 08:22 AM
It is not as much about temperment although that is a big part but the problem with these dogs are more health problems and behaviour issues. That is all I am saying about scummy BYB and Mills, oh and I hope all the owners of these establishments are locked in feces encrusted cages without any human contact forever

poodletalk
February 15th, 2006, 08:30 AM
Any employee of a petshop or backyard breeder will say anything to sell the dog to get the commmision. Too bad, they didn't do their research first or listen to copperbelle.

My neighbours own a "designer breed" great dog, so far it doesn't have any health issues. But you never know down to the road............

I know what Copperbelle means, but when other people "guests" read the post, I don't want people to get the wrong impression that shouldn't consider a mixed breed. Mixed breeds are fine, don't buy them a petshop or a backyard breeder :D

Writing4Fun
February 15th, 2006, 09:11 AM
:mad: Boooo! Hissssssssss! Boooooooo! :mad:

"Acquaintances" of mine saw a neighbour walking their new Poodle. They went right to the same pet store and bought the other dog's sibling. Talk about impulse buyers! Now they have a year old, anti-social dog with agression issues. :rolleyes:

Hey Prin, you did a pretty good job of disguising that store name ... I'm still trying to figure it out! :p

StaceyB
February 15th, 2006, 10:42 AM
The dane you saw was probably a mix between a harlequin and merle which would never be done by a good breeder.

Prin
February 15th, 2006, 10:47 AM
Nothing about this situation would be done by a good breeder. White with blue eyes is so weak genetically. Put them in a pet store where people who don't know about the breed and the little details required to care for one will most likely be the ones buying. Just disgusting. Really horrible.